Royal free coffee in the morning?

Quince

Its our first time on Princess. My husband is a very early riser, and wants coffee ASAP. Where can he find a free cup, other than the buffet and waiting for room service? Thanks

That is it. Some have reported that on some ships, very early AM, the International Cafe has free brewed coffee.

If you know approx. what time you will wake up, request room service for that time. They are usually very prompt.

Or buy the coffee card. The IC is open 24/7. The card costs a couple of dollars less, if you buy it before you sail. $31 vs. $33 ?

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I had the same problem. I tried room service the first day. The problem is that they gave a 30 minute window and they came at the end of it. I bought a mug from the store and went up to the buffet, as soon as it opened, and filled my mug. It took me less than four minutes round trip.

but I want my FRESH BREWED...so I toss on something presentable

and run down to the IC...and grab a pre breakfast yummy for us before breakfast

..then I go up to the buffet to get my husband tea. :)

Bernadette

I had the same problem. I tried room service the first day. The problem is that they gave a 30 minute window and they came at the end of it. I bought a mug from the store and went up to the buffet, as soon as it opened, and filled my mug. It took me less than four minutes round trip.

You can circle the time you want instead of just checking that half hour window. It USUALLY (not always) works! :)

but I want my FRESH BREWED...so I toss on something presentable

and run down to the IC...and grab a pre breakfast yummy for us before breakfast

..then I go up to the buffet to get my husband tea. :)

Bernadette

May I suggest that you take a couple of tea bags the day before and then just take one with you when you go to the IC and ask for a cup of hot water.

Saves you a trip in the early AM.

As mentioned If you know what time you want the coffee you can put the card out before bed ( thats what we do) or you can go to the buffet or international cafe. Room service ias you mentioned is also always there for you.

Another idea is to bring a small thermos from home and fill it with coffee before going to sleep. A good thermous will keep coffee hot for hours and could give him that first cup before room service arrives :). We haven't done this on a cruise, but my DH uses one everyday at work for hot coffee. Just an idea.:)

Its our first time on Princess. My husband is a very early riser, and wants coffee ASAP. Where can he find a free cup, other than the buffet and waiting for room service? Thanks

They have free dripped coffee on the Royal at the IC before 6 AM but it's just about the same thing as at the buffet (or at least I thought so).

It's pretty strong for me & I alway had them add 1/3 cup hot water to is to make it tolerable.

IC coffee isn't free at anytime of the day. I always go to the IC ti get m DW her first morning cup of coffee. Then I go back get me a cup of coffee and sit and read my kindle . On longer cruises there ends up being a group that meets around the same time for coffee. We often talk and discuss world events or our previous cruise experiences . Some of the people are first time cruisers on Princess and we answer there questions.

Some of the staff will give free coffee but usually towards the end of a cruise they recognize you. They also watch out for mangers who usually shown between 6 an 7AM for their morning coffee .

On one cruise (on sea days) the Captain came down ( most sea days) to get a latte before starting his busy day of inspections.

Edited by Kamloops50

Another idea is to bring a small thermos from home and fill it with coffee before going to sleep. A good thermous will keep coffee hot for hours and could give him that first cup before room service arrives :).

I know someone who does this. She take the thermos to IC and gets it filled with brewed coffee the night before. She does have a coffee card. She says it's always hot enough in the morning.

IC coffee isn't free at anytime of the day. I always go to the IC ti get m DW her first morning cup of coffee. Then I go back get me a cup of coffee and sit and read my kindle . On longer cruises there ends up being a group that meets around the same time for coffee. We often talk and discuss world events or our previous cruise experiences . Some of the people are first time cruisers on Princess and we answer there questions.

Some of the staff will give free coffee but usually towards the end of a cruise they recognize you. They also watch out for mangers who usually shown between 6 an 7AM for their morning coffee .

On one cruise (on sea days) the Captain came down ( most sea days) to get a latte before starting his busy day of inspections.

It has been posted that when the change was made and the HC was no longer open 24 hours that fresh brewed coffee was free at the IC during the hours the HC was closed. I haven't checked this out recently.

It has been posted that when the change was made and the HC was no longer open 24 hours that fresh brewed coffee was free at the IC during the hours the HC was closed. I haven't checked this out recently.

We board the Coral Princess on May 2 . Will try and remember to check out or ask someone.

Coffee is always available at the buffet 27/7 whether the food section is open or not.

Nope, most nights on most ships the beverage stations are completely shut down as well when the HC closes at 11 or 12.

IC coffee isn't free at anytime of the day.

But it is at certain hours of the night.

It has been posted that when the change was made and the HC was no longer open 24 hours that fresh brewed coffee was free at the IC during the hours the HC was closed.

Exactly. On Ruby in November they set out urns of coffee, decaf, and hot water & teabags at midnight each night.

But as the definition of "early riser" varies widely we don't know if the OP's husband will be up before or after the urns are removed. I suggest removing any variables by buying the coffee card.

Edited by fishywood

If you make people PAY for something, they believe it to be better than what's "free"...take bottled water! It comes from a tap, just like water anywhere, yet folks actually PAY money for it! Same thing with coffee....

So, charging for things that are free elsewhere gives them a kick to their bottom line!

Edited by cb at sea

Why isn't coffee free at the IC? Is this really a big cost or really would affect 'bottom line/profit?'

They more than just regular brewed coffee. They are actually a bar and coffee shop. They sell lattes , soda and smoothies as well.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app