Hotel and air on our own?

homeatlast

That 7 night cruise for next year looks pretty good, but PG rep said if we take their air and hotel pkg, no points for you!

Not so much worried about the frequent flyer miles, because I want to make sure our plane gets there for the cruise, but no hotel points, even if Intercontinental has a shared ownership? If we want to add on Bora Bora and Moorea better to do it on our own, or are PG rates always better?

First of all, by booking through PG, they have to take care of you in the event of any kind of delay or problem.

Second, the air package includes a day room going in (plus lunch) and a day room going out plus a tour of Tahiti.

Thirdly, you get to stay on the ship longer on the final day. If you are booking on your own, you are asked to leave first.

Adding the other islands on your won, may incur a deviation air fee.

We always use their air package. I have never been able to locate a lower fare. Those using mileage will need to book way out to get the dates they need. I spoke to one woman who could not locate a lower day room rate than PG's.

Just a note of caution, once you disembark from the PG, you may be disappointed with the local hotel service and prices.

No matter what you choose to do, you will enjoy your PG cruise. We are going back in October of 2015 for our 9th PG cruise.

That 7 night cruise for next year looks pretty good, but PG rep said if we take their air and hotel pkg, no points for you!

Not so much worried about the frequent flyer miles, because I want to make sure our plane gets there for the cruise, but no hotel points, even if Intercontinental has a shared ownership? If we want to add on Bora Bora and Moorea better to do it on our own, or are PG rates always better?

We had to book our own air and hotel. Just so you know Qantas and American code share with Tahiti Nui. I searched for air and hotel with skyscanner- got a good rate for our pre cruise at the IC in Papeete and even though we're actually flying on Tahiti Nui- I booked through Qantas and got the flight for less. I believe PG gives you a $1,500pp credit if you book your own air and hotel. Also keep in mind the transfers and day pass at the hotel with PG

For our first 2 cruises I used the PG air with the day room. For the last one and the one in June of this year I used miles for the flights and you do need to book the air about 330 days in advance as there is limited award availability.

While those with their own air are asked to leave the ship at about 9:00 am there is no way to enforce that and you can easily stay until noon when the last group leaves. If you are flying to another island or taking the ferry to Moorea it is not an issue. If you are flying out that night at about midnight you do need to plan what do do for that period of time.

We have done the Hilton on Moorea as a precruise and prefer that hotel to the IC. PG will book only (I think) at the IC.

If you have to pay for your flight you are probably better off to use the PG air. If you can use miles for an award flight, and you find the seats you want, it is not a big deal to arrange for everything else on your own.

If the 7 night cruise you are considering has overnights in Bora Bora and Moorea maybe you want to consider extending your cruise with another island. Although I haven't done it yet and from my research many recommend adding 2-3 pre cruise and head home the day you get off the ship- maybe with a stop in LA for a day or 2. ATN now has 2 flights a day- one at 10:30 am, the other the redeye- I'd consider that along with arriving early and getting 'adjusted' :D

Edited by crisp1

If the 7 night cruise you are considering has overnights in Bora Bora and Moorea maybe you want to consider extending your cruise with another island. Although I haven't done it yet and from my research many recommend adding 2-3 pre cruise and head home the day you get off the ship- maybe with a stop in LA for a day or 2. ATN now has 2 flights a day- one at 10:30 am, the other the redeye- I'd consider that along with arriving early and getting 'adjusted' :D

So if you take the 10:30am flight, how early are you leaving the ship that day? I assume PG handles all the transfers from ship to airport if you book through them?

And if you do take the midnight flight, do they give you another day room to use between disembarkment and going to the airport?

Thanks!

If you take the air through PG then they do handle all transfers. The morning departure from PPT to LAX does not appear to exist every day during the week. Most of the departure flights leave close to midnight.

If you have the late flight and PG air you have the choice of a 2-3 hour bus tour on Tahiti and then they bring you to a day room at the hotel or you can skip the tour and go directly to the hotel at about noon. The day room sounds good but you only have a few hours in the room before them make you vacate the room and you will still have a couple of hours at the hotel to wait for the bus. Food choices at the hotel are basically eating at the hotel restaurant which is pricey.

On our current (June 10th) booking, the early flight was the standard choice and the late flight had an air deviation fee. A day room is available as an option for an additional charge, but then there is no air deviation fee.

After being on the PG for a week or more, expect to be disappointed with the hotel food (and the prices :eek: )