My plan...will it work?

mitsugirly

I'm trying to plan our day to day activities and routes. Tell me your thoughts and will it work.

Day 1

Since we arrive in Bermuda on a Sunday, I obviously can't head to Tobacco Bay since there isn't Sunday Ferry. So, I guess that would be the day I have to head to the Southern Beaches.

I will get off ASAP, purchase our 3 day pass (if we haven't already purchased it on the ship) and catch the #7 bus to the beaches. Hopefully we can catch the 11:20 bus.

I want to be dropped off at Warwick Long Bay (I believe around a 40 minute ride??? which would put us here around 12 noonish) and then slowly work our way back to Horseshoe Bay (hitting Jobson's Cove, Stonehole Bay and Chaplin Bay along the way) to end our visit since Horseshoe has facilities and food along with showers.

What do you feel is an appropriate time to stay at each of these beaches? I figured Stonehole Bay and Chaplin Bay are probably 2 of them that you kinda just stop and take some pictures and move on.

After that, we will catch the little bus (or whatever it is) for $2pp up the hill to the pink bus stop and catch the bus and head to Gibbs Lighthouse for a visit. $2.50pp to go up and take some awesome pictures of the area and hopefully not have a heart attack doing so. :o

Then back down and to the bus stop again. Should we hit Church Bay on the way back as well? Will there be enough time for this? I hear there is awesome snorkeling there as well...and I love me some snorkeling! :D

Now here's the problem...I'm trying to figure out how to read this bus schedule.

route%207_zpspmxs2cnz.jpg

It states that it leaves "Hamilton" at 4:30. So what time would it put the bus at the Horseshoe Bay stop? If I'm reading it right, this is the last bus of the day? It has me wondering if we'll even have enough time to do Gibbs Lighthouse and especially Church Bay.

Then I see another #7 bus, but it says Barnes Corner. It has some times that are later, but what is Barnes Corner?

barnes_zpsxc7akwys.jpg

Then there's the #8 bus that runs down Middle Rd and serves the Dockyard as well (but once again, it mentions Barnes and I have no idea what that is or where it is). It looks like it has later hours on Sunday. So if the time gets too late, how would we get to the #8 bus from any of these locations? I remember reading that the lighthouse kind of sits between the #7 and the #8 bus and it's within walking distance to either (10-20 minutes depending on which way you are going-to either #7 or #8 route). So if we are there, we could just walk up to the #8 bus stop I would think. (I am aware that the lighthouse closes at 4:30pm on Sundays so I would have to factor that time in as well to be able to see it).

Or...does this bus route not even go to the dockyard?

number%208_zpsxk07wx9t.jpg

Then I did find a #8 that says dockyard on it...maybe this is the one we will need to take?

However, there's a HUGE gap in the time from 5:15 until 10:45??? Where are they? Is this lunch break?? LOL

8%20hamilton%20dockyard_zps3m53pxes.jpg

So what's everyones thoughts on this? What time frame am I on? Which routes should I go to get the most out of our day?

I appreciate all help and comments. I will move on to Day 2 shortly.

Day 2

Today will be the day we head to Tobacco Bay since the ferry will run on this day.

We plan on taking the orange ferry route from the dockyard over to St George. Since it is a Monday, it looks like the earliest we can catch the ferry will be 9:30am. I believe I have read that it's around a 40-45 minute ride. So, we should arrive around 10:15ish.

49_20150426_185846_thumb.jpg

If we walk to Tobacco: starting at Kings Square, turning right on King St and then a left on Bridge St winding our way around to Government Hill Rd.

I would like to stop at the Unfinished Church to take some pictures...and then move on until we get to Tobacco to spend the day.

Or, I read that you can get a "St George Beach Bus" pass, $6 for adults and free for kids, to take you and use it to hop on and hop off during that day. It looks like it stops at the unfinished church and at Tobacco Bay as well.

11200794_668514726627305_5496162966956477611_n.jpg?oh=1236eca73f7fb6b492b706efe49f99aa&oe=55D050FF

11169833_668514723293972_1858849699906455747_n.jpg?oh=74a14914a8b95747a9b7030cd735dd68&oe=55D40964

Then if we wanted to head over to Glass Beach, we could also use this service...saving time and wear and tear on our feet. hehe

We will probably spend the day and have our lunch there at Tobacco since they do have a place to eat there.

It looks like the last ferry to leave St George on a Monday would be at 5:30pm so we would need to be back there to catch the ferry before then. So I guess it would depend on how much fun we are having at Tobacco as to whether or not we decide to hit up sea glass beach.

Once we get back to the port, if we didn't go to the glass beach in St George, we could head over to the glass beach (Black Bay Beach) at the port area by either walking or catching the #7 bus and asking to get off at the Military Cemetery stop. It looks like we have plenty of times we can leave and come back on the bus according to the #7 schedule.

(Going by the Monday to Friday schedule on this and not what is circled)

route%207_zpspmxs2cnz.jpg

I hear watching the sunset from this beach is amazing. So we might do that to finish off the day. :)

Day 3

The ship pulls out at 5:30pm and I assume all aboard will be around 4:30pm.

So, we plan on getting up and going to Snorkel Park by walking of course and spending most of the day there.

royal_navy_dockyard.jpg

Maybe after that, head back and then do a little bit of shopping around the clock tower mall area and grab a few souvenirs before getting back on the ship for sail away. About how long does it take to walk and circle around that shopping area? What amount of time should I allow?

So now that I think about it, we probably won't even need a 3 day bus pass and instead just get a 2 day pass??

So...what are your thoughts about our 3 days there? Is it doable? I think the only one that I'm really worried about is the first day and the lack of transportation that day. I really wish we had a full day to do those plans and on anything other than a Sunday with limited transportation. :( But, there's nothing I can do about that.

I wish I could say it was doable (this is my first time in Bermuda) but it is wonderfully planned. Wife and I are going on the July 11th Liberty of the Seas trip and your posting and planning has given us some really good ideas. Have a fantastic trip!

You may or may not be able to catch the 11:20 bus. When we went to Bermuda, we disembarked right around 11 or 11:05 and hightailed it to the line to buy the transportation passes. We weren't aiming for the bus because we were in Bermuda the week that they were threatening to not let tourists ride the #7 bus and wanted everyone to ride a special bus which was $16 round trip...we took the 11:30 ferry to Hamilton and then caught a noon bus heading back toward the Dockyard. We went to Horseshoe Beach, and it took about 50 minutes from leaving on the ferry to arrival on the beach (including walking down the hill).

Sunday is tough...I don't think you're going to have time to do all that you want. From what I remember, Barnes Corner is a stop, in the same direction as the Dockyard, but not that close to the Dockyard. I don't know if you could use that bus but then take a taxi to get to the Dockyard or not. That 4:30 bus is the last one, and it'll probably be around Horseshoe by about 4:50 or 4:55 or so, at the latest. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd err on the early side so as not to miss it.

From what I recall, Bus 8 doesn't drive near the beaches. It's well north of the beaches.

Someone else can chime in and help, but Sunday is tough because you are limited by the schedule. It worked out fine for us...we started with Horseshoe and were there awhile. Ate at the very end of our time there and then continued to Warwick Bay. We didn't want to be with a crowd of tourists trying to get on the final bus, so we opted to get on the earlier stop (Warwick), figuring the bus wouldn't be as crowded when we embarked.

I will mention that Tobacco Bay was super, super crowded when we were in Bermuda. We wound up at St. Catherine's Beach, which was virtually deserted, and when we headed back by Tobacco Bay on our way back to the Dockyard, we stopped by just to see it and there wasn't an inch of space left...at 3:30-4 PM, so late in the day. We were happy we didn't bother with it.

On Day 3 we went back to Warwick Bay and Jobson's Cove. We planned for a half day there and returned to the Dawn by about 1 PM. Had lunch and hurried to go to the Glassworks, the Craft Market and the shop where they sell rum cakes. We didn't make it to the mall, so if that is a priority, then your Day 3 sounds good. However, it is doable to go back to the south shore beaches and skip Snorkel Beach. I found out later that the shops stay open later when ships are in port, so we probably could have gone in the evening, but we just crammed the shopping in during the last few hours.

Day 1

Barnes corner & #8 use middle road .

Only #7 Dockyard does south shore beach's .

Warwick to Horseshoe Is terrific ,not to rush to much .

Not enough time for the light house / church bay has no beach can be rough / its a bit of a climb too .

I see large parrot fish in stone hole bay every time we snorkel there .

Edited by biker@sea

Day 3

So, we plan on getting up and going to Snorkel Park by walking of course and spending most of the day there.

royal_navy_dockyard.jpg

Maybe after that, head back and then do a little bit of shopping around the clock tower mall area and grab a few souvenirs before getting back on the ship for sail away. About how long does it take to walk and circle around that shopping area? What amount of time should I allow?

So now that I think about it, we probably won't even need a 3 day bus pass and instead just get a 2 day pass??

So...what are your thoughts about our 3 days there? Is it doable? I think the only one that I'm really worried about is the first day and the lack of transportation that day. I really wish we had a full day to do those plans and on anything other than a Sunday with limited transportation. :( But, there's nothing I can do about that.

I would do Something on day 3 you have All day !!

Go to Hamilton , climb the big church tower to see most of the Island .

Snorkel park is nothing to speak of . :rolleyes:

I agree about your day 3 plan - you could do something more interesting than the snorkel park that day since you leave so late in the day. That being said, I love touring historical sites and the Commissioners' house and maritime museum are very interesting and right at the dockyard. You may be running yourself a bit ragged on Day one so heading to Hamilton again might be a good alternative to the snorkel park on that last day.

Thanks for the info about the bus service in St. George's! Our first cruise to Bermuda we walked to Tobacco Bay and then back to the port via St. Catherine's Fort/Beach. That was one long walk so I am very glad to see there's a private bus service circulating among the sites. I've a bit mobility challenged these days so that bus service is going to be a life saver as far as I'm concerned!

I will mention that Tobacco Bay was super, super crowded when we were in Bermuda. We wound up at St. Catherine's Beach, which was virtually deserted, and when we headed back by Tobacco Bay on our way back to the Dockyard, we stopped by just to see it and there wasn't an inch of space left...at 3:30-4 PM, so late in the day. We were happy we didn't bother with it.

On Day 3 we went back to Warwick Bay and Jobson's Cove. We planned for a half day there and returned to the Dawn by about 1 PM. Had lunch and hurried to go to the Glassworks, the Craft Market and the shop where they sell rum cakes. We didn't make it to the mall, so if that is a priority, then your Day 3 sounds good. However, it is doable to go back to the south shore beaches and skip Snorkel Beach. I found out later that the shops stay open later when ships are in port, so we probably could have gone in the evening, but we just crammed the shopping in during the last few hours.

Uh oh!! Now I'm concerned!! We are headed to Bermuda in early June and my plan on day 2 is to do an all day adventure at Tobacco Bay. I wonder if it won't be as packed since we are a little early in the season. Any thoughts from anyone?

If worse comes to worse and we don't find any room on Tobacco Beach, is St. Catherine's Beach the closest one to Tobacco Beach, and if so, about how far walking distance (I have mobility issues)? And how is the snorkeling there?

Oh no, I hope I don't have to rethink day 2 now!!

Day 3

royal_navy_dockyard.jpg

We plan on staying in the dockyard on day 3 also. My thoughts are that I will be absolutely beat after packing so much into two days, that it will be nice to have a little bit more of a leisurely pace.

With that being said, it really seems like there are quite the amount of fun things to do in the dockyard. I wouldn't want to sail away without having explored the dockyard area.

I intend to get the 2 day pass for us and nix the 3rd one as not necessary for us for the dockyard.

What date are you sailing?

Mintsugarcube--The commercialization of Tobacco Bay is new and happened after early June last year, so it's hard to say what it will be like this year at that time. There was no St. George's Beach Bus last August, though, so I'm guessing that it was created to meet the demand.

St. Catherine's was a bit of a walk, but perhaps the new bus goes there, since the flyer posted earlier mentions forts and we could clearly see the fort as we swam. The snorkeling was pretty good. There are photos in my review and it shows how empty this beach was in August.

Mitsugirly:

The only bus route that takes you from Dockyard to the South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay and return is the #7 route running between Dockyard and Hamilton. #8 buses do not go to the South Shore beaches, and the #7 and #8 routes running between Hamilton and Barnes Corner do not serve Dockyard. So for your planning look only at the #7 Hamilton - Dockyard schedule.

To get to Black Bay beach from Dockyard and return, you can use either the #7 or #8 buses. Again, for planning and scheduling look only at the schedules for the Hamilton - Dockyard routes. The Hamilton - Barnes Corner routes do not serve the Dockyard.

One thing I want to mention is to tell the Bus #7 driver (or the person who is there helping to load passengers) that you want to go to Warwick Long Bay, before you get on the bus.

In my past visits during tourist season, they have a #7 express bus that is for tourists that goes straight to Horseshoe Bay and back to Dockyard. I don't think this bus would take you to Warwick Long.

Edited by marci22

One thing I want to mention is to tell the Bus #7 driver (or the person who is there helping to load passengers) that you want to go to Warwick Long Bay, before you get on the bus.

In my past visits during tourist season, they have a #7 express bus that is for tourists that goes straight to Horseshoe Bay and back to Dockyard. I don't think this bus would take you to Warwick Long.

If using token's or cash / you can take the express " special " bus as far as horseshoe a get a paper transfer to the #7 bus to Warwick long bay from there.

I wish I could say it was doable (this is my first time in Bermuda) but it is wonderfully planned. Wife and I are going on the July 11th Liberty of the Seas trip and your posting and planning has given us some really good ideas. Have a fantastic trip!

Thanks glad I could have helped a little with ideas (only wish I could now say that it worked for me lol).

You may or may not be able to catch the 11:20 bus. When we went to Bermuda, we disembarked right around 11 or 11:05 and hightailed it to the line to buy the transportation passes. We weren't aiming for the bus because we were in Bermuda the week that they were threatening to not let tourists ride the #7 bus and wanted everyone to ride a special bus which was $16 round trip...we took the 11:30 ferry to Hamilton and then caught a noon bus heading back toward the Dockyard. We went to Horseshoe Beach, and it took about 50 minutes from leaving on the ferry to arrival on the beach (including walking down the hill).

Sunday is tough...I don't think you're going to have time to do all that you want. From what I remember, Barnes Corner is a stop, in the same direction as the Dockyard, but not that close to the Dockyard. I don't know if you could use that bus but then take a taxi to get to the Dockyard or not. That 4:30 bus is the last one, and it'll probably be around Horseshoe by about 4:50 or 4:55 or so, at the latest. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd err on the early side so as not to miss it.

Thaks for the info. I THINK I might have found where this Barnes stop is. I have been searching for awhile and wasn't having any luck.

It is possible that it's where the #7 & #8 bus kinda meet in zone 10 right before they split off to head down middle (#8) and toward Church Bay and the southshore beaches (#7)?

My thoughts were if the last bus was coming at 4:30, then that would be about the time we would get to the bus stop in order to not miss it coming by for the last stop of the day. I really don't want to have to pass for the bus/ferry pass and then pay on top of that for a taxi. It kinda defeats the purpose of an expensive pass.

From what I recall, Bus 8 doesn't drive near the beaches. It's well north of the beaches.

Right, it goes down middle road and not near the beaches. I was wondering about the #8 because of going to Gibbs Lighthouse, which I know you can catch either the #8 or #7 from there and thought it might be another option if it had later times.

Someone else can chime in and help, but Sunday is tough because you are limited by the schedule. It worked out fine for us...we started with Horseshoe and were there awhile. Ate at the very end of our time there and then continued to Warwick Bay. We didn't want to be with a crowd of tourists trying to get on the final bus, so we opted to get on the earlier stop (Warwick), figuring the bus wouldn't be as crowded when we embarked.

I hadn't thought about being the last on the bus and the crowds at the end of the day. Is there more than 1 bus running this final route? If the bus got filled up and there wasn't enough room for everyone...then what?

Although not the ideal situation (having crowds), I'm fine with it. It doesn't bother me too much...I can take it or leave it (the crowds). However, Tobacco Bay IS where I want to go. I'm not really interested in going to St Catherin's Beach this time around. So even if it's crowded, it will be fine for us. :)

The mall isn't necessarily a priority for us. I just thought it would be a nice way to end the day before getting back on the ship and to do a little bit of shopping.

I guess if we can't do everything on day 1 with the southshore beaches, we could possibly head back there on day 3. I hadn't thought about that. I would have to factor in the bus schedule for that day and the time getting too and from there and decide. Thanks so much for the ideas. :)

I also thought about going shopping in the evening as well after one of these days (like maybe the first day since we'll be back early). So we might be able to do that as well.

Day 1

Barnes corner & #8 use middle road .

Only #7 Dockyard does south shore beach's .

Warwick to Horseshoe Is terrific ,not to rush to much .

Not enough time for the light house / church bay has no beach can be rough / its a bit of a climb too .

I see large parrot fish in stone hole bay every time we snorkel there .

I think everyone is misunderstanding my #8 bus question. I know that only #7 serves the southshore beaches and #8 does middle road. However, I also know that Gibbs Lighthouse is located BETWEEN #7 and #8, which meant that if we went there, we had the option to come back to the dockyard on either bus and if bus #8 route had later options to return on Sunday, then this could work to our advantage. However, I didn't know if it was possible to walk from the southshore beaches to the #8 bus on middle if we were to miss the #7 last bus. :p

But like you said, we probably won't have enough time to squeeze in the lighthouse or Church Bay this time around so it probably won't matter. :)

I would do Something on day 3 you have All day !!

Go to Hamilton , climb the big church tower to see most of the Island .

Snorkel park is nothing to speak of . :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say "all day" :p I'm just trying to factor in all the time waiting on buses and the travel time into it and it was worrying me a little bit.

I know people say snorkel park isn't anything to write home about and most on here don't seem to like it. I just thought it would be "something" to do on that last day and still be close to the ship. It would just give us more "bang for our buck" saving in travel time and such. So it's still up for debate I guess.

I agree about your day 3 plan - you could do something more interesting than the snorkel park that day since you leave so late in the day. That being said' date=' I love touring historical sites and the Commissioners' house and maritime museum are very interesting and right at the dockyard. You may be running yourself a bit ragged on Day one so heading to Hamilton again might be a good alternative to the snorkel park on that last day.

Thanks for the info about the bus service in St. George's! Our first cruise to Bermuda we walked to Tobacco Bay and then back to the port via St. Catherine's Fort/Beach. That was one long walk so I am very glad to see there's a private bus service circulating among the sites. I've a bit mobility challenged these days so that bus service is going to be a life saver as far as I'm concerned![/quote']

We really aren't the type of people that like to tour historical sites. I don't know, it's just not exciting...or water related. :D So that wouldn't be something that interest us. We are merely going for the beaches there.

I might just end up back at one of the beaches along Southshore that day. Snorkel Park wasn't really on my "radar" of things to do. It was just something we came up with last minute to spend the day there at the dock area. We'll see. :)

We plan on staying in the dockyard on day 3 also. My thoughts are that I will be absolutely beat after packing so much into two days, that it will be nice to have a little bit more of a leisurely pace.

With that being said, it really seems like there are quite the amount of fun things to do in the dockyard. I wouldn't want to sail away without having explored the dockyard area.

I intend to get the 2 day pass for us and nix the 3rd one as not necessary for us for the dockyard.

What date are you sailing?

While us being beat really isn't a factor (since we normally do cruises with 4 day itineraries and it's always go-go-go for us so we are use to it), I did want to explore the dockyard area as well. We might be able to squeeze it in on Sunday (Day 1) when we're there. I hadn't really thought of that. But I'm like you, I do want to wander around and explore the area and shops.

Mitsugirly:

The only bus route that takes you from Dockyard to the South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay and return is the #7 route running between Dockyard and Hamilton. #8 buses do not go to the South Shore beaches, and the #7 and #8 routes running between Hamilton and Barnes Corner do not serve Dockyard. So for your planning look only at the #7 Hamilton - Dockyard schedule.

To get to Black Bay beach from Dockyard and return, you can use either the #7 or #8 buses. Again, for planning and scheduling look only at the schedules for the Hamilton - Dockyard routes. Thank you so much. I will definitely do this. :) The Hamilton - Barnes Corner routes do not serve the Dockyard.

Yes, again in my post and I posted again above "I know that only #7 serves the southshore beaches and #8 does middle road. However, I also know that Gibbs Lighthouse is located BETWEEN #7 and #8, which meant that if we went there, we had the option to come back to the dockyard on either bus and if bus #8 route had later options to return on Sunday, then this could work to our advantage. However, I didn't know if it was possible to walk from the southshore beaches to the #8 bus on middle if we were to miss the #7 last bus."

I do realize this and my question was merely for using it from the lighthouse and if I missed a #7 bus was it within walking distance.

But I just didn't know "which" #8 bus and had no clue where Barnes Corner was and if I would be able to use it. Now I think I have an idea where it is and that it won't benefit us.

So I guess I have a question about the buses then...will they all have something on them stating where they go? Like will it actually say "dockyard" on it so that you don't get on the wrong bus?

I definitely plan on doing this since we will have no idea where we are at during any given time to tell the driver we need off (by our surroundings). :)

Thanks for the info on the #7 bus just in case we decide to head back to these beaches on day 3. Does it cost extra? Where do you catch them at and how do you know you are on the express bus? :confused:

While us being beat really isn't a factor (since we normally do cruises with 4 day itineraries and it's always go-go-go for us so we are use to it), I did want to explore the dockyard area as well. We might be able to squeeze it in on Sunday (Day 1) when we're there. I hadn't really thought of that. But I'm like you, I do want to wander around and explore the area and shops.

Yes, again in my post and I posted again above "I know that only #7 serves the southshore beaches and #8 does middle road. However, I also know that Gibbs Lighthouse is located BETWEEN #7 and #8, which meant that if we went there, we had the option to come back to the dockyard on either bus and if bus #8 route had later options to return on Sunday, then this could work to our advantage. However, I didn't know if it was possible to walk from the southshore beaches to the #8 bus on middle if we were to miss the #7 last bus."

I do realize this and my question was merely for using it from the lighthouse and if I missed a #7 bus was it within walking distance.

But I just didn't know "which" #8 bus and had no clue where Barnes Corner was and if I would be able to use it. Now I think I have an idea where it is and that it won't benefit us.

So I guess I have a question about the buses then...will they all have something on them stating where they go? Like will it actually say "dockyard" on it so that you don't get on the wrong bus?

Yes, the buses have a destination sign. If it's going to Dockyard it will say so.

The pink busses marked Special only run back and fourth Horseshoe to dockyard and Usually run later . They are not on any schedule .

Thanks for this info. Do they cost extra? How would you find out how much later? Do they give you information on this along with the maps and routes while at the dockyard?

I definitely plan on doing this since we will have no idea where we are at during any given time to tell the driver we need off (by our surroundings). :)

Thanks for the info on the #7 bus just in case we decide to head back to these beaches on day 3. Does it cost extra? Where do you catch them at and how do you know you are on the express bus? :confused:

The Dockyard - Horseshoe Bay express buses normally will say "Special" on the sign, rather than the normal type of destination sign that would say "Dockyard". The fare is the same as the local bus.

But, with the introduction of the private shuttles between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay ($16 per person round trip) the "special" express public buses are apparently offered less frequently than in the past. One of the reasons for introducing the private express shuttles was to relieve the strain on the overburdened public bus system.

I also thought about going shopping in the evening as well after one of these days (like maybe the first day since we'll be back early). So we might be able to do that as well.

Just an FYI, the Clocktower Mall's hours are 9am to 6pm. Thought you might like to know that. Happy cruising! :D

Lorie