My plan...will it work?

mitsugirly

The schedule that I have downloaded shows that the first shuttle to leave the dockyard and go to that area is 8:50am. The other times listed there shows that those shuttles do not serve the dockyard. :confused:

I guess I had never thought of it that way (that it's just like being in any other port and only having that amount of time to spend there) but it just kinda makes me nervous, I guess, having to rely on the bus transportation. Since I have never been there before I have no way of knowing if the buses usually run on time as stated or if they fall behind. I also don't know how many they have running at any given time. For instance if we take the last bus back and it's full....then what? Will there still be another one coming along directly after it for those that couldn't fit on the prior bus? In most ports we just get in a cab and go. The only place I have ever done the public transportation by bus was just this last November in Nassau and I was super nervous about that. :o

Sorry about the schedule mix-up. It must have changed since the last time we took that bus, but it does appear there are others.

The buses do usually run on schedule. The ferries, in my experience, are almost always on time. In the past, we've gone out on Fridays early, gotten back by around 1 PM, then spent the last couple hours at Snorkel Park, then walked to the ship.

Sorry about the schedule mix-up. It must have changed since the last time we took that bus, but it does appear there are others.

The buses do usually run on schedule. The ferries, in my experience, are almost always on time. In the past, we've gone out on Fridays early, gotten back by around 1 PM, then spent the last couple hours at Snorkel Park, then walked to the ship.

Oh not a problem at all. I know when I first started researching on here all I could find was old schedules dated either 2014 and back. Somehow I must have came up with the new schedule because that's what I had printed off in my "folder". No harm. :)

I still haven't received an answer about how many buses they have running. When they say...for instance...a bus comes at 12noon, is it only that 1 bus that is running or are there several buses that may show up? Does 1 bus run the entire schedule and you won't see it again until it does it's route and come back? Or are there several. :confused:

I'm just nervous about it being full and having to wait on either another bus to come along or that same bus to do the route and circle around and come back. Especially when we get there and everyone wants to leave at the same time. I assume there's a line to stand in to wait on the bus and if a majority of people are standing in line waiting on the first bus out and it fills up then what? You have like a half hour to wait on another? Or do they have several buses leaving at that same time? I'm so confused.

Ahh, you're right! I didn't notice the mb on there. We definitely took a bus at around 7 AM in 2013. I guess the schedule changed. But the #8 should get you close as well if you decide to go that route.

Makes sense about Sinky Bay. Church Bay is also close by though, and Horseshoe as well, so there are plenty of other options.

Thanks for the clarifications -- I think they'll come in handy when we go later this year.

I have a 2013 schedule and the earliest #7 was also at 8:50 am. In fact the schedules have remained virtually unchanged since 2009. Is it possible you took a #8 and then walked up to the lighthouse from the other side?

Oh not a problem at all. I know when I first started researching on here all I could find was old schedules dated either 2014 and back. Somehow I must have came up with the new schedule because that's what I had printed off in my "folder". No harm. :)

I still haven't received an answer about how many buses they have running. When they say...for instance...a bus comes at 12noon, is it only that 1 bus that is running or are there several buses that may show up? Does 1 bus run the entire schedule and you won't see it again until it does it's route and come back? Or are there several. :confused:

I'm just nervous about it being full and having to wait on either another bus to come along or that same bus to do the route and circle around and come back. Especially when we get there and everyone wants to leave at the same time. I assume there's a line to stand in to wait on the bus and if a majority of people are standing in line waiting on the first bus out and it fills up then what? You have like a half hour to wait on another? Or do they have several buses leaving at that same time? I'm so confused.

If a bus is scheduled for any particular time you can assume it is just one bus. They don't have extra equipment and drivers to just add buses on to accommodate crowds. Once in awhile they may, but the safe assumption is they won't, because they can't. What they will do at times if they have the equipment and drivers available is to add "Special" express buses between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay, but these do not appear on any schedule.

Yes, once in a while you may have to wait for the next bus. It's happened to us.

The reason the private shuttle service between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay was organized is to accommodate the crowds that just can't be accommodated on the public buses.

You probably have the 2015 bus schedule because I've been continuously posting the link to it whenever someone asks about bus schedules. In reality the bus schedule has changed little if at all since 2009.

Edited by njhorseman

I have a 2013 schedule and the earliest #7 was also at 8:50 am. In fact the schedules have remained virtually unchanged since 2009. Is it possible you took a #8 and then walked up to the lighthouse from the other side?

It's possible. I could have sworn we approached from the South Road, but maybe I'm mistaken -- it's been almost 2 years, and I can't remember what I had for lunch a couple days ago. :o

Traveling to Bermuda for the first time and I am so confused with the buses and Ferries. We were told we could purchase a 3 day visitor pas and then that will give us access for all the buses and ferries, is this true?

Traveling to Bermuda for the first time and I am so confused with the buses and Ferries. We were told we could purchase a 3 day visitor pas and then that will give us access for all the buses and ferries, is this true?

Yes

Is there anything else at the dockyard (shops) that stay open later than that? Or does everything close early? :confused:

We enjoyed Bermuda Fun Golf which is right beside the entrance to Snorkel Park - I believe they are open until 10 PM.

So now I am considering possibly buying the "tickets" or tokens instead of the bus pass.

I recently found out about purchasing them and for what we are trying to do...I think it will save a lot of money.

If we purchased the tickets (which gives you 15 of them) for $37.50 it would be the perfect amount needed for our plans. (I know that adults are $37.50 and children are $9.50, but we actually need a total of 15 tickets so we'd just use them all as if adults even though we will have 1 child with us).

Day 1: Using 3 tickets to get dropped off at Warwick and walk our way back to Horseshoe. Now, I have expressed my concerns about not having enough time here so I was thinking about just staying longer and catching a cab back, which if I'm reading the $$ on the cabs, it should be around $27 for 3 of us to get a cab back to the dockyard. MY QUESTION IS: How do I get a cab to come pick us up there at a certain time? Are they readily available there to take people back or do you need to make some type of prior arrangements? Or is there anyone there that can call a taxi for you when needed?

Day2: Using 3 tickets to take the ferry over to St George (then using their new Hop on Hop off bus shuttle on St George for $6/pp during the day) and head to the unfinished church, Tobacco Bay and whatever else we feel like doing in the area and then hopping on the ferry using 3 tickets coming back.

Day 3: Use 3 tickets to head back over to Horseshoe Bay for the day and then 3 tickets back or if we feel like we were able to get enough time at Horseshoe and the South shore beaches on day 1, visit Gibbs Lighthouse-but not sure if it's actually worth spending a bus pass on just going there even though I know it has beautiful views. :confused: Or we could use the tickets to head over to glass beach instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY BREAKDOWN

Pack of 15 tickets=$37.50

Taxi back from Horseshoe=$27

Shuttle at St George=$18

TOTAL= $82.50

VERSUS

Tokens to zone 14=$58.75

taxi=$27

shuttle=$18

TOTAL=$103.75

VERSUS

cash bus/ferry=$63.75

taxi=$27

shuttle=$18

TOTAL-$108.75

VERSUS

3 day bus pass=$110

taxi=$27

shuttle=$18

TOTAL=$155

VERSUS

2 day bus pass=$79.00

taxi=$27

shuttle=$18

TOTAL=$124.00 (staying in dockyard on 3rd day instead).

Obviously purchasing the tickets is the best way to go. My concern is that there are going to be so many passengers getting off the ship right when it docks and heading to the booth to purchase these and with the 1st bus going out of the dockyard at 11:20, we may have to wait for the next bus (or even several buses after that) to get to our destination and wasting valuable time. :( I know the "easiest" thing to do would be to purchase the 2 day bus pass available on the ship and hit the streets running once we dock. :eek: But it's definitely not the cheapest route to go either. But then again if we are going to just catch a cab back from Horseshoe Bay, it might not matter what time we get there?

I'm just so confused and we have less than 3 weeks to figure out our "game plan".

I would appreciate any and all thoughts. :)

Mitsugirly, I'm not going to try to answer your question because I don't think you realize that it's likely you can't purchase tickets at Dockyard...they've only rarely been sold there...so you'd have to travel to Hamilton first to buy the book of tickets and that will interfere with your plans.

One other obvious thing I saw...taxi from Horseshoe Bay to Dockyard is more than $27. Mon. - Sat. it would be about $35 plus tip, but you're arriving on Sunday, when taxi fare is 25% higher.

Mitsugirly, I'm not going to try to answer your question because I don't think you realize that it's likely you can't purchase tickets at Dockyard...they've only rarely been sold there...so you'd have to travel to Hamilton first to buy the book of tickets and that will interfere with your plans.

One other obvious thing I saw...taxi from Horseshoe Bay to Dockyard is more than $27. Mon. - Sat. it would be about $35 plus tip, but you're arriving on Sunday, when taxi fare is 25% higher.

:eek: Oh gosh...I had no clue about any of this.

So they don't sell the tickets there at the Dockyard? :confused: According to the link that I was on (HERE) it states "Passes, tokens and tickets cannot be purchased on the bus. They are available from the Central Terminal, Hamilton Ferry Terminal, Visitor Information Centres, sub-post offices, and many hotels."

When I click on the "Vistor Information Centres" link it says "Dockyard Visitor Information Centre-gazebo on Dockyard Terrace, next to the ferry stop-also at Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf when cruise ships are in port."

So I guess I'm confused. :confused:

As for the taxi rides, this is what THIS link shows:

taxi_zpsnnos3lo5.jpg

Are the taxi's coming FROM the South shore beaches more than what they are TO them from the dockyard? Just wondering.

I do see where it states "Taxi rates are 25 percent higher between midnight and 6am, and all day on Sundays and public holidays." So that would mean that they $27 at 25% higher would be $33.75...plus tip.

So is the site that I'm on an old site with old rates?

Thanks so much for your help and advice. :)

Kim,

You must be counting down the days..How exciting!

We bought our three day passes and our individual tickets from a little trailer near the ships. That was 2 and 3 years ago. Maybe it has changed? Sometimes you can get the tickets on certain ships. I actually have extra passes from two years ago that we did not use. We will not use them this fall either since we are only there for one day. Email me your address and I will send them to you. Lhiltunen66@charter.net.

Great idea to buy the individual tickets! We bought the 3 day pass our first visit and what a waste it was!

There are always cabs to take you back to the ship from Horseshoe. You do not have to pre-plan a cab. They are always there, advertising to bring you to the top of the hill for $2 and for just a few bucks more, they will take you to the dockyard. After a full day of walking the beach and sunshine, it was a relief just to jump in an air conditioned van and be dropped right in front of the ship! Well worth the few extra bucks!

Day 2 is a good use of tickets.

On Day 3 we took the bus to the SeaGlass beach, spent time there and then walked back to the ship, stopping in the dockyard at the various shops on the way back. There is a great map here in a thread with photos showing how to get there and back. It was great to take the bus there, giving you a chance to see the route you will take back. Now that Black Bay is open, you can combine that with SeaGlass Beach. It is near SeaGlass beach, but I can't remember if it further away from the ship or closer! I think NJHorseman answered that question for me in a thread somewhere. For us, that would be a perfect third day intinerary; close to the ship and in control of our own tranportation (walking). I hope this info is helpful if you decide to go to SeaGlass in your Day 3 plan.

Have fun!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

Kim,

You must be counting down the days..are you leaving next weekend??

Great idea to buy the individual tickets! We bought the 3 day pass and what a waste it was!

There are always cabs to take you back to the ship from Horseshoe. You do not have to pre-plan a cab. They are always there, advertising to bring you to the top of the hill for $2 and for just a few bucks more, they will take you to the dockyard. After a full day of walking the beach and sunshine, it was a relief just to jump in an air conditioned van and be dropped right in front of the ship! Well worth the few extra bucks!

Day 2 is a good use of tickets.

On Day 3 we took the bus to the SeaGlass beach, spent time there and then walked back to the ship, stopping in the dockyard at the various shops on the way back. There is a great map here in a thread with photos showing how to get there and back. It was great to take the bus there, giving you a chance to see the route you will take back. Now that Black Bay is open, you can combine that with SeaGlass Beach. It is near SeaGlass beach, but I can't remember if it further away from the ship or closer! I think NJHorseman answered that question for me in a thread somewhere. For us, that would be a perfect third day intinerary; close to the ship and in control of our own tranportation (walking). I hope this info is helpful if you decide to go to SeaGlass in your Day 3 plan.

Have fun!

Lauri

Lauri, we are definitely counting down the days...but we have a bit more of a count than next weekend. :p 19 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes, and 27 seconds to be exact. :D

So these "cabs" that are taking people up and down the hill at Horseshoe are also regular cabs on the street too? I guess I didn't realize that or picture that as the mode of "transportation" taking you up the hill. :o So as long as they have cabs going up and down the hill, I will be safe in asking them to take me back to the ship. That's awesome to know. I just can't seem to figure out "how much" it's going to cost for that trip back to the dockyard.

I have been going back and forth with what to do on day 3 from going to sea glass beach and walking about the dockyard shopping to heading back to Horseshoe for more time (that was kinda if we didn't get enough time there on Day 1, but if we take a cab back later, I assume we will have had enough time there) to heading over to Snorkel Park (as much as people don't seem to care too much for the place, I'm still willing to check it out, review it and it's still a "beach day" at some place I have never been. :D

I have seen the map posted and how to walk there and back and have all the directions (along with photos) on the path to sea glass. (I did read the big tree/stump is gone). I have heard of Black Bay, but for some reason I was thinking that was where sea glass beach is and maybe people just started calling it sea glass beach because of...well obviously the sea glass. :D I had also thought about if we had to do the bus service on day 1 that after arriving back to the dock so "early" from Horseshoe Bay, we could head to sea glass on day 1 as well and back. So it's kinda still up in the air.

You must have caught me mid edit. I saw you still have three weeks to wait and went in to edit my post!

I also edited to say we have tranportation tickets if you want them. I just found them...13 adult zone 14 tickets. We bought 15 last trip and used 2! The zone 14 tickets are good for any trip on any bus or ferry. Zone 3 are the limited distance tickets. Email me your address lhiltunen66@charter.net.

Yes, twice we were at Horseshoe and both time the cab we caught would either bring us to the top or all the way to the dockyard. There are just a bunch of cabbies waiting around, not sure if certain ones just go to the top of the hill or not! I thought we paid $7 per person with 4 people in the cab.

SeaGlass Beach and Black Bay are close geographically but they are not the same beach. Black Bay was not "developed" the first year we went, the management is new. I cannot remember if there is snorkeling there or not, for some reason, I think there is. Did younseemtheir website? looks gorgeous and sunset! But they rent chairs etc and maybe have snacks and drinks available.

We had the same dilemma you are having...so much to see and only three days to do it. Our fist trip was heavy beach and snorkeling. The second trip we did an island tour, including the lighthouse, and then we went to Hamilton for a tiny bit of shopping and lunch. And of course, we had our Warwick to Horseshoe day. And the last day was the Dockyard (Frog and Onion beers!) and museum day.

So, you will just have to plan on going back again to see the rest! We drive from MI (12 hrs to Bayonne) so it's a relatively cheap getaway for us! We are there for just a port stop in October so we will just do our Warwick/Horseshoe Day. We will never go to Bermuda without doing the beach walk!

Hoping for warm weather for you so you can enjoy it as much as we did!

Lauri

Oops, I gave credit to NJHorseman for the map...it is actually SailbadTheSinner's map. Black Bay is further away from the ship. So, you could take the bus to Black Bay and on your way back, stop at SeaGlass. Probably a 20-25 minute walk back to the ship. No scary areas.

Lauri

You must have caught me mid edit. I saw you still have three weeks to wait and went in to edit my post!

I also edited to say we have tranportation tickets if you want them. I just found them...13 adult zone 14 tickets. We bought 15 last trip and used 2! The zone 14 tickets are good for any trip on any bus or ferry. Zone 3 are the limited distance tickets. Email me your address lhiltunen66@charter.net.

Yes, twice we were at Horseshoe and both time the cab we caught would either bring us to the top or all the way to the dockyard. There are just a bunch of cabbies waiting around, not sure if certain ones just go to the top of the hill or not! I thought we paid $7 per person with 4 people in the cab.

SeaGlass Beach and Black Bay are close geographically but they are not the same beach. Black Bay was not "developed" the first year we went, the management is new. I cannot remember if there is snorkeling there or not, for some reason, I think there is. Did younseemtheir website? looks gorgeous and sunset! But they rent chairs etc and maybe have snacks and drinks available.

We had the same dilemma you are having...so much to see and only three days to do it. Our fist trip was heavy beach and snorkeling. The second trip we did an island tour, including the lighthouse, and then we went to Hamilton for a tiny bit of shopping and lunch. And of course, we had our Warwick to Horseshoe day. And the last day was the Dockyard (Frog and Onion beers!) and museum day.

So, you will just have to plan on going back again to see the rest! We drive from MI (12 hrs to Bayonne) so it's a relatively cheap getaway for us! We are there for just a port stop in October so we will just do our Warwick/Horseshoe Day. We will never go to Bermuda without doing the beach walk!

Hoping for warm weather for you so you can enjoy it as much as we did!

Lauri

Thanks so much for the offer Lauri. I emailed you. Since you mentioned that you purchased them a few years ago, I'm wondering if they are still good? I have seen others mention that if you buy a book of tickets and plan on going back that you can still use them if you have any left over, but I wonder if this is true if the prices have increased?

Do you remember how much they charged you for the trip back to the dockyard? I'm thinking if I bring $50 that "should" cover the $2 pp up the hill and the trip back to the dockyard? (For 4 people since we'll have to split up into 2 vans since there are 8 of us).

I did not see a website for Black Bay. I will have to look. I did google Black Bay pictures and it really didn't look like a place I would normally pick (then again, I don't know how old the pictures are and how much things have changed). It did look like a lot of rocks in the area (seen a neat pic of someone showing an area that they said it was like a small "bath" with the rocks around it). I'll check into it and I did find a map showing that it's a little ways down from the sea glass beach as well. If we are walking, I'm not too sure everyone will want to walk even further down to this place, but we'll see what they think after I find some pictures to present to them. :)

I have a feeling I will need multiple trips back to Bermuda in the future. :p

Oops, I gave credit to NJHorseman for the map...it is actually SailbadTheSinner's map. Black Bay is further away from the ship. So, you could take the bus to Black Bay and on your way back, stop at SeaGlass. Probably a 20-25 minute walk back to the ship. No scary areas.

Lauri

It's ok, I knew who you were talking about. I have his "tips" and maps saved on my computer from a few years ago when I was researching Bermuda. ;) :D

Anyone know if this is still there?

Bermuda-Free-Shuttle-Train.jpg

Don’t forget the free shuttle train that circles throughout Dockyard. In the summer months, our free trolley shuttle service winds around Dockyard allowing you to hop on and off at the major attractions, shops and restaurants - from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., dropping and collecting at numerous stops.

I read one thread that people asked the same question and the answer was yes, you can still use previously purchased tickets and tokens. You can always call the Bermuda tourism department and ask just to be sure. I called there once and they were wonderful!

If I remember right (I could look at my old review here), it was $2 to the top or $7 to the Dockyard. So, if you are paying for all 8 of you, you better bring more money! This is where that nursing degree pays off!!

I will mail your tickets off on Monday. Glad you can use them!

Lauri

The train shuttle was in the dockyard a year and a half ago. But there are so many seniors trying to get on that I felt guilty and never did use it! But you have a good excuse because Sakari would love it!

Lauri

I read one thread that people asked the same question and the answer was yes, you can still use previously purchased tickets and tokens. You can always call the Bermuda tourism department and ask just to be sure. I called there once and they were wonderful!

If I remember right (I could look at my old review here), it was $2 to the top or $7 to the Dockyard. So, if you are paying for all 8 of you, you better bring more money! This is where that nursing degree pays off!!

I will mail your tickets off on Monday. Glad you can use them!

Lauri

Oooo Ooooo, where's this review at???? :D Does it have pictures?

So wait, you are saying only $7 for them to take you from Horseshoe Bay all the way to the dockyard? As in where the ship is? Seriously? I assume you are saying that's per person since you mentioned bring lots of money? Oh heck no, my daughter and her family have jobs, they can pay for their own. LOL :p So that would just be $21 all the way to the dockyard with them (plus the $2 pp up the hill)? That sounds a lot cheaper to me...but then again since prices have went up, that probably has too. Do any of the taxi's hold 8 people? I mean we have 3 kids with us (2 of which could sit on our laps if they allowed it) to fit us all in. :confused:

The train shuttle was in the dockyard a year and a half ago. But there are so many seniors trying to get on that I felt guilty and never did use it! But you have a good excuse because Sakari would love it!

Lauri

Yes, Sakari would love that. I reminds me of the train/bus they have in Belize that she wanted to ride and we didn't because we had an excursion.

Are there train (bus/shuttle) stations along the road or do they just stop and pick up people whenever they are flagged down?

Edited by mitsugirly

Here is my mini review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1715617

No pictures..this was the first trip with a new camera and the settings were wrong! This was My Canon D20 that just died on our last cruise! A lot of our pics did not turn out but I was able to "steal" a bunch from people doing reviews of our week!

Big reviews like you do are so much work! I did one, once! This mini review is more my speed!

And yes, I thought $7 was very cheap for a taxi from Horseshoe to right out in front of the ship. You do not have to pay the $2 to the top of the hill since your cab takes you from the bottom of the hill right to the ship. So, only $21 for you, DH and Sakari! The taxis are cars and mini vans so not sure you can all fit into one. Doesn't really matter, it's $7 pp whether you use 1 or 2 cabs. There are plenty available.

This cheap $7 fare was the reason we did not take the bus much the next trip. We found a couple who also wanted to go to Warwick and just took a taxi there. Nice not to have to wait for busses, and let me tell you, they are hot and crowded! And I hate waiting! At the end of an exhausting day, all you want to do is get back to the ship and shower, and relax!

Lauri

:eek: Oh gosh...I had no clue about any of this.

So they don't sell the tickets there at the Dockyard? :confused: According to the link that I was on (/transport/buses/bus-fares/"]HERE) it states "Passes, tokens and tickets cannot be purchased on the bus. They are available from the Central Terminal, Hamilton Ferry Terminal, Visitor Information Centres, sub-post offices, and many hotels."

When I click on the "Vistor Information Centres" link it says "Dockyard Visitor Information Centre-gazebo on Dockyard Terrace, next to the ferry stop-also at Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf when cruise ships are in port."

So I guess I'm confused. :confused:

As for the taxi rides, this is what THIS link shows:

taxi_zpsnnos3lo5.jpg

Are the taxi's coming FROM the South shore beaches more than what they are TO them from the dockyard? Just wondering.

I do see where it states "Taxi rates are 25 percent higher between midnight and 6am, and all day on Sundays and public holidays." So that would mean that they $27 at 25% higher would be $33.75...plus tip.

So is the site that I'm on an old site with old rates?

Thanks so much for your help and advice. :)

They have rarely sold the ticket books at Dockyard. They did in 2102 and 2013 as I recall, but I believe they stopped selling them last year.

That's an old site with old taxi rates. The approximate fare I cited is based in current taxi fares.

The sites like "bermuda4u" and "bermuda-attractions" are not "official" Bermuda tourism sites and contain a lot of outdated information and flat-out misinformation. The "bermuda-attractions" site is run by someone who lives in India. As you might imagine that doesn't make for a site that's up-to-date and accurate.