Salmon/Halibut Fishing in Ketchikan

WIS-Cruiser

I've read through many, many posts on fishing options in Ketchikan and come up with several options for a fishing excursion. We will be on Princess late this summer. Many of the posts the search found are quite old so I'm hoping you can help.

We are 4 adults looking for an excursion. Preferably one that has an option to ship fish back home, is prepared for newbies and has restroom facilities. We have looked at

- Alaska Sport Fishing

- Ketchikan Charter Boats

- AAA Sport Fishing

- Princess Excursion

Any experience with these or other options in Ketchikan? Any recommendations or warnings (besides it'll be expensive)?

Thanks so much in advance!

My husband went on the Princess excursion out of Ketchikan in July 2012. I went off and did my own thing, so I did not go with him. He has a lot of experience deep-sea fishing in the Delaware Bay and out of Perkins Cove in Maine. He greatly enjoyed the excursion. Most of the folks were not interested in keeping their salmon, whereas my husband had already planned to ship his home, so the other people actually gave my husband their fish! Packing and shipping the fish to our home on the east coast was handled very well. They held the fish so the coolers did not arrive until after we got back home. We totally enjoyed eating those fish! We had many good meals of delicious Alaskan salmon! :D

The only down side to the excursion for my husband was the way they handled the rods and reeling in the catches. The rods were shared. When a fish was hooked, each person took a turn reeling it in. That would be a plus for newbies, I guess, and I suppose it was the fairest way to handle it.

It certainly wasn't a huge deal because DH was planning to go again this year, but we decided to do a different excursion together this time. He's counting on having success on his halibut and salmon trips out of Homer before the cruise.

If you have any other questions, I'll have to ask him because that's the extent of what I know about it.

Edited by portiemom
add

We used baranoff last year and will do so this year too. It was us and our teen daughters. We booked a private trip, it was only a bit more and well worth it, as we got to dictate what we wanted to do throughout the excursion.

We used baranoff last year and will do so this year too. It was us and our teen daughters. We booked a private trip, it was only a bit more and well worth it, as we got to dictate what we wanted to do throughout the excursion.

Thanks - looked at them as well. Anything you liked in particular? Did you ship salmon through them?

My 2cents is charter a whole boat. I've shared a boat as well as chartered one, IMHO with 4 people your value and experience will be superior to charter your own. I'd look hard for an independent.

I'd recommend the charter/captain but he sadly passed away this year.

Thanks - looked at them as well. Anything you liked in particular? Did you ship salmon through them?

All of these vendors can have your fish processed and shipped. Budget fully. :) It's never been less than $100.

Planning can be significant with mainland Alaska, with the ability to ship your fish as baggage when you leave.

All of these vendors can have your fish processed and shipped. Budget fully. :) It's never been less than $100.

Planning can be significant with mainland Alaska, with the ability to ship your fish as baggage when you leave.

Thank you. Have you utilized any of the vendors and can recommend?

My 2cents is charter a whole boat. I've shared a boat as well as chartered one, IMHO with 4 people your value and experience will be superior to charter your own. I'd look hard for an independent.

I'd recommend the charter/captain but he sadly passed away this year.

Thank you. I read that. Very sad.

We went on a family Alaskan cruise a couple years ago and part of our group did a chartered salmon fishing excursion. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of it. I just wanted to let you know that it is not a guarantee that you will catch any salmon so be prepared. We had discussed how much salmon we would pay to ship home before they went out but they didn't catch one salmon! They caught 2 or 3 other fish but that was it. Being out in the boat and seeing some eagles was nice but, for the price, it was disappointing. Wishing you better luck!

We went on a family Alaskan cruise a couple years ago and part of our group did a chartered salmon fishing excursion. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of it. I just wanted to let you know that it is not a guarantee that you will catch any salmon so be prepared. We had discussed how much salmon we would pay to ship home before they went out but they didn't catch one salmon! They caught 2 or 3 other fish but that was it. Being out in the boat and seeing some eagles was nice but, for the price, it was disappointing. Wishing you better luck!

Wow. that would be disappointing. And a long 4-6 hours!

Just talked with my husband. He said the name of the outfit he went out with is called Go Fish. Said he was very impressed with the captain and that he had a "tremendous experience" - his words.

Hope that helps!:)