Gift for Tour Guide?

Cruznjuly

So we have booked a private tour in Jamaica for our family of four.

The tour guide let me know that we are in for a "special trip" because that day is also his birthday!

I was thinking of bringing him a little something for a birthday gift. Any suggestions?

I know I cannot bring food or drink off the ship, so that sort of limits it… But anybody who has been to the islands know what they may like?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to maybe a bit of an extra tip, consider buying your tour guide lunch when you stop if you hadn't already planned on doing that.

We bought our guide lunch and sitting and talking with him while we ate was a lot of fun.

I agree with giving them cash. This is how they make their living and that means more to them than anything. I like the idea of giving it to the guide with a birthday card. That does show that you thought about it and recognized it. Great idea. :)

You may want to surprise him, but, I'd just ask if there is anything he needs for himself or his family. We cruise often and have become friends with several drivers. We always ask if they need anything and bring it as part of the tip. Yes, I totally agree that they love and need cash, but sometimes they like you to bring something that is difficult to get or very expensive on the island. We have had requests of inexpensive watches, specific baseball hats, candy, and Dora toys.