Millennium -Tender at Icy Straight Point - Alaska Cruise

Margioshay

We are new to Cruising and are wondering about using the Tender at the Icy Straight Point port. I have arthritis in my knees and am worried that I may not be able to get on and off the Tender without hurting myself. Has anyone used this Tender and do you think we should probably give it a miss? TIA.

I have tendered several times at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), and have observed folks in walkers having no problems. Given that it is a fairly sheltered location the seas most likely will be calm with minimal swells. So the step from the ship's tender dock onto the tender itself should be easy. The tender ride itself is very short.

Also be aware that a floating dock is being constructed at ISP. I haven't checked recently but my memory (which can be faulty) is that the dock was to be functional in late August or September 2015.

There are a lot of staff members helping people on and off the tenders, so I think you should be okay. This is the best port to do whale watching on a small boat. One you get out into the water the scenery is spectacular and you should definitely see whales. This is one of my favorite ports. Have a great time.

Carolyn

I will be anxious to hear about your cruise. We are on the Millenium on the same itinerary on the August 28 sailing. It will be our 2nd Alaska cruise, but first to Icy Strait Point. Have read a lot of good things about this port. We plan to zip line there. That will be a first for me.

I will be anxious to hear about your cruise. We are on the Millenium on the same itinerary on the August 28 sailing. It will be our 2nd Alaska cruise, but first to Icy Strait Point. Have read a lot of good things about this port. We plan to zip line there. That will be a first for me.

Hi workstocruise - My new hubby and I are honeymooning in RS 6140 on the same sailing as you. I have not cruised since I was 8, so I'm over-the-top excited. We are going to be doing the Ziprider at Icy Strait, so we're interested in how the tendering goes as well.

We have sailed with mobility impaired 80+ year old relatives many times and they have always been able to handle the tenders provided the seas are not really rocky. As has been said, Icy Strait is a sheltered area so anyone who can go up and down stairs, however slowly, will be fine. The crew is very, very helpful to anyone who needs it. The pier is not real long at this port, so that is a plus also.

Hi tarheellmjm-

Congrats on your honeymoon. You picked a great cruise! I am pretty excited about this cruise also, but not worried about tendering. The crew are always watching out for the passengers, so they will keep us safe. Maybe we'll see you up at the zip line. I am really looking forward to that.

The tenders are plenty big and from the platform to the deck inside is only a step or two. There are always able-bodied seapersons on both sides of the entrance to steady the unsteady. Note that the tenders are not the same as the lifeboats, though they're stowed in the same manner and look similar.

We did Icy Straight Point twice about on two seperate cruises about 8 years ago. On one of the visits we did not do any excursions. We paid the $5 and rode the school bus into Hoonah. You can also walk it as it is only about half of a mile.

We had the best time in Hoonah. We ate at THE restaurant and had fish that came off of a boat that morning. We got to meet THE cab for Hoonah. It was one of our favorite port days because we went "off grid".

Our second favorite is in Nassau this year. We met "Brother Bo", the caretaker for the Anglican Cathedral. We ended up in his broken down mini-van riding all over the island with the doors hanging open. Had lunch at an ourdoor restaurant that is set up twice a week in the Fox Hill area.

My partner is in a wheelchair, so my point is that you should not be afraid to be adventurous. When tendering at Icy Straight Point the Celebrity staff carried Ken down the stairs (Summit) to the tender. The staff has always bent over backwards to help people with accessibility.