Should Carnival Have 6 Tiers in the VIFP Club?

Should Carnival Have 6 Tiers in the VIFP Club?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Have 6 Tiers in the VIFP Club?

• No, The VIFP Club is Fine As Is
    • Yes, This Does Seem Like a Valid / Feasible Change

Hello all,

Yet another thread on today's occurrences. For anyone who still does not know what happened, Carnival announced today that due to the high attendance numbers and bad reviews of the VIFP past guest parties, Gold members will no longer be invited to the party, it will be exclusively for Platinum and Diamond guests. To make up for it, Carnival will be giving each Gold cruiser a free drink coupon valued at $9, to be used at any bar onboard on the last day of the cruise. Like the party, they will only be given on 5+ day cruises.

Today I was talking to my friend in Norway who is a Diamond Plus Member on Royal Caribbean, and he began explaining their loyalty program (that I'm a part of, but haven't kept up on). They have 6 tiers. In what is equivalent to Gold, they get a pin and a bathrobe. In what is equivalent to Platinum, they get a bunch of other things that I didn't bother reading. But they have a tier called Emerald, placed between them. Emerald guests get a free snack and drink placed in their room on embarkation day, that they pre-selected before the cruise, with a thank you not, and this got me thinking....

Would Carnival benefit from another tier in the VIFP Club? I was thinking maybe at around 50 nights, they could enter another tier (Opal maybe? not good with names), where they would get the same benefits as Gold members, but they would get, let's say, a dish of 5 chocolate covered strawberries to their room on the first (or only) formal night when the cabin steward makes a towel animal. On top of the dish, there could be a note that says "As a sign of our appreciation to you for cruising with us, we would like to provide this treat for you to enjoy". Just a Platinum benefit that people can earn for staying loyal to Carnival.

I feel that the stretch between Gold and Platinum is very large, and many people in there are not being appreciated well enough. Gold members are still very lucrative to other lines. Easily, with one unbeatable deal, they aren't afraid to take off to another line to give it a try. I think some small gesture like adding a new tier with one Platinum perk would really help members feel a little more appreciated. While I may be a Gold member, I do think some of this "unfollow john" stuff is a little too far, but then again I'm feeling like a middle child. They haven't had my loyalty 100% for numerous years on many cruises, but then again, they have my business, so they don't need to do much to make sure I return again, like they have to with 1st time cruisers.

So, what do you guys think? Would Carnival benefit from adding a 6th tier to the VIFP Club? Would this relieve some tension from the Gold members? Please vote above, leave a response too! Also, this is just to get an idea of what the CC members want, so I know that I'm not alone in feeling like the no party invitation isn't a huge let-down, but I don't want to be a middle child either. Feel free to disagree, this is all up for (friendly) discussion, I am open to any ideas, as I agree with both sides for different reasons.

Happy Cruising! :D

I do think another tier is needed but not between Gold and Platinum but between Platinum and Diamond. It's only 50 days now between Gold and Platinum but 125 days between Platinum and Diamond. Yes there are those that have a lot more than the required 200 days for Diamond but it is such a stretch to reach Diamond and the perks are basically the same except for a couple of one time perks and the Captain's event. We are Diamond and have been since the beginning but I can appreciate the number of cruises to attain Diamond. There is talk of another level above Diamond and I would like to see a 365 day level for one year on Carnival but a true double Diamond would take a few years to achieve. It's like they keep moving the finish line.

It doesn't matter how many levels they have if they refuse to restrict rewards only to the cruisers who actually at at the particular level.

Same as paying for FTTF for the ability to go directly to your cabin. How many posts are from folks who brag about ignoring the sign and going to the cabin who don't have FTTF or plat/diamond status?

Parties are too crowded because they let everyone in without regard to status. Those who want to disregard earned status "every one should be equal", will of course, change their tunes once the Platinum card is in their hands.

I'm confused. I'm under the impression Carnival already HAS six tiers. The man with the funny hats and one arm who lives on the boat is a double diamond elite!

According to the Carnival website, there is...

Blue: First Sailing

Red: Second Sailing - 24 Points

Gold: 25 Points - 74 Points

Platinum: 75 Points - 199 Points

Diamond: 200+ Points

I don't think "Double Diamond" is official to Carnival, I think it's just something people do on their own. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!

I'm confused. I'm under the impression Carnival already HAS six tiers. The man with the funny hats and one arm who lives on the boat is a double diamond elite!

HA! Actually pretty much does

According to the Carnival website, there is...

Blue: First Sailing

Red: Second Sailing - 24 Points

Gold: 25 Points - 74 Points

Platinum: 75 Points - 199 Points

Diamond: 200+ Points

I don't think "Double Diamond" is official to Carnival, I think it's just something people do on their own. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!

He knows that, he was making fun of a regular Carnival cruiser that used to post here called Stormin Norman

I bet if "Golds" could vote.......90% would rather have that $9 dollar ticket for a free drink at any bar on the ship; than go to a party.

That is a nice gift.

I would agree, the knock of what they did was to say it can only be used on the last day after 5 pm.....which is a fairly narrow timeframe.

I bet if "Golds" could vote.......90% would rather have that $9 dollar ticket for a free drink at any bar on the ship; than go to a party.

That is a nice gift.

As a gold....... I love the change. I only went to the party once. The free drink at any bar is better in my opinion.

I think they could also collapse the structure and remove a level.

I assume you mean on the low end, I can see that logic. The purpose of blue was to distinguish people for attendance to the return guest party.

As a gold....... I love the change. I only went to the party once. The free drink at any bar is better in my opinion.

That's because you are such a party animal they asked you to leave....;)

Right or wrong, Carnival made this switch because the past guest party had too many people in it. By dumping gold, they can have a reasonable amount of guests at the "party". I have signatures turned off on CC but still see many CC posters 3-4 times a year.

As Carnival adds more larger ships and if they keep up their current pricing structure, the will (over the next 5-10 years) greatly increase the number of platinum and diamond members. Good for Carnival, but bad for the loyalty program.

Why? With the increase in platinum and diamond cruisers they will have the same problem again, too many to handle. You know whats next, cut out platinum and only have diamond and the new level "Ultra diamond". This problem will not be fleet wide, only on the most popular routes (Caribbean) and only on the most popular ships. So on a big ship they may not have this problem, but on a Fantasy class ship, they may.

Only a matter of time before other cutbacks will be made to the program since they can't reward everyone for everything. The program will simply get too big.

That is a nice gift.

FYI you cant buy a decent drink for $9.00 on ccL. So u either get a beer or you pay additional for a real drink and additional bar tip. Glass of wine just house wine is over $10.00

FYI you cant buy a decent drink for $9.00 on ccL. So u either get a beer or you pay additional for a real drink and additional bar tip. Glass of wine just house wine is over $10.00

While I am in favor of the drink coupon, I do have to agree with you on this one. I never get a drink package so I guess it's just a Shirley Temple for me ;)

I feel that Carnival has too many tiers as it is. If they eliminated Red, you would feel like you're actually getting some perks at the gold level (bottle of water, drink ticket and pin).