Explain uber and uber x to me

2red4u

I have never used this before, heck I don't even think the town I live in has taxis. I have used taxis before in larger cities, I usually paid with cash. I have downloaded the uber app but haven't put in my credit card info. We will need to use this or a taxi in Seattle. So could an experience uber user walk me through this process.

The best explanation is on Uber's site: https://www.uber.com/ Their website is a bit unusual. Either scroll down to navigate to various sections of the website ("how to" is the second page down). Or, click on "Menu" at the upper left, then "Help Center". How To Use is on the right. Either should answer your questions.

That said, you have to enter your credit card info in advance. When a ride is requested, the app gives you the price...when you confirm, the make/model/plate of the car is displayed along with the driver's photo.

After the ride you can add an optional tip using the app. The idea is no money is collected by the driver for everyone's physical and financial safety. You can rate the driver, and drivers rate passengers. (Uber blacklists both drivers and customers to weed out the bad apples).

Actually, Seattle doesn't have the tip option.

There is a post at the end of the Seattle FAQ on using Uber and UberX from the airport. UberX is more like a taxi and priced about 40% less. They also show up reliably. Uber is a towncar-type service. I'm not fancy and am fine with the usual Prius from UberX.

Thank you for the help. Since there are 4 of us a Prius might be a tad small. Also glad to know about the tip not included. Do you mind sharing what a standard tip would be, either in dollars or percentage?

As I commented earlier, *no* money is passed between you and the driver. This is for the driver and passenger's safety. I recall hearing the driver can be dropped by Uber if they accept a tip. Any gratuities are optional from the app, and VibeGuy commented there is no tipping in Seattle.

I have heard that if the passenger and driver have "chemistry", sometimes "benefits" follow...this no doubt happens but it's probably apocryphal in most cases. :)

Is your question about conventional taxi tip, so you can compare to Uber?

Edited by kenish

Update- My earlier comments are off a bit. Uber (corporate) prefers to remain "no-tip" and drivers must say that tips are not required if you offer one. There's been a shift; the driver can accept a cash tip if you insist. Also, there's a petition among Uber drivers to start allowing tips.

By the way, Uber Taxi (different from UberX) has always allowed tips via the app since the service is different.

Best bet is to google "Uber tipping" and read the various articles from 3rd parties. Seems to be a subject of debate, but no longer verboten.

By the way, Uber Taxi (different from UberX) has always allowed tips via the app since the service is different.

Good point. :-)

I've never used Uber, but as I understand it they offer different types of services in different cities based on local laws and regulations. The most common service is "UberX" and it has historically been tip free. "Uber Taxi," on the other hand, appears to operate much as a traditional taxi service, and tips are permitted/encouraged.

Personally, I think the "no tipping" policy for UberX is something that sets them apart in a very POSITIVE way. So I would hope they don't mess with this. :-)