Cost of taxi

From Ataturk airport about 25 euros pre-booked (yes, they accept euros). Sabiha Gökçen airport also handles international flights though possibly only short-haul - its further, & on the Asian side (via a toll bridge over the Bosphorus), so will be more expensive.

There are a number of operators if you google Ataturk transfers, sorry can't remember who we booked - modern clean van, gave us no problem, but I don't recall seeing a bad word about any of the operators. You can get the price & book on-line, ours & doubtless others don't require payment or even credit card numbers & we paid cash at our destination.

But if you need a taxi from ship to airport you need to book that too.

Taxi drivers at the port are sharks who will be looking for twice as much. If you walk down the road away from the port & hail a passing cab it'll be cheaper than the sharks but its a lot of hassle & probably still more than pre-booked. It's far better to pre-book a fixed price return transfer, perhaps fix up that return trip through the driver if you're happy with the service.

There is a train service, but it involves train, then walk to tram stop, then tram, then walk from tram to hotel. No fun with luggage - we did it back to the airport from the port due to afore-mentioned sharks.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks, JB! :-)

The hotel provides the transfer for 35 EURO (for two) from the airport to the hotel. But looks like the independent transfer (prebooked) will be cheaper.

Thanks again for the tip! :)

Thanks, JB! :-)

The hotel provides the transfer for 35 EURO (for two) from the airport to the hotel. But looks like the independent transfer (prebooked) will be cheaper.

Thanks again for the tip! :)

Yes, though for a nominal price difference it might be better to place the burden on the hotel, in case the transfer is problematic?

BTW there's no left-luggage facility that I know of anywhere near the Sultanahmet or port areas. If you have a fairly late flight back after your cruise & want to spend the day sight-seeing, tap your pre-cruise hotel to store your luggage (probably for a small fee) for that day.

Edited by John Bull

But if you need a taxi from ship to airport you need to book that too.

Taxi drivers at the port are sharks who will be looking for twice as much. If you walk down the road away from the port & hail a passing cab it'll be cheaper than the sharks but its a lot of hassle & probably still more than pre-booked. It's far better to pre-book a fixed price return transfer, perhaps fix up that return trip through the driver if you're happy with the service.

Hey John~

Do you have an idea of the cost from the cruise port to Ataturk airport? I would like to pre-book; not sure how to do it; but would like an idea before checking. I can get the transfer via the ship but expect it would be more costly and on their schedule. Looking for an early flight out back to Athens which should work as we arrive in Istanbul a full day prior to disembarkation. Thanks for any advice!

Hey John~

Do you have an idea of the cost from the cruise port to Ataturk airport? I would like to pre-book; not sure how to do it; but would like an idea before checking. I can get the transfer via the ship but expect it would be more costly and on their schedule. Looking for an early flight out back to Athens which should work as we arrive in Istanbul a full day prior to disembarkation. Thanks for any advice!

The cruise port is a little further from Ataturk than Sultanahmet, at Salipazan / Karakoy, so expect to pay 30 to 40 euros pre-booked.

Here's a couple of examples, I think :rolleyes: the top one is the one we used.

http://www.istanbulairportstransfer.net/price-list.php (quotes 32 euros)

http://www.citytransferistanbul.com/cruise_ports.html?lang=en (quotes 30 euros)