moved from cabin without notification

ellopoppet

In August 2014 I booked a cruise for my family vacation leaving in May 2015. There are 8 of us. I booked three balcony cabins on deck 10 forward, next to each other and one across from us. I was given my cabin #'s at that time. In Feb 2015 I added the beverage package to two of my balcony rooms. At the end of April 2015 I was allowed to register online (1 month ahead). When I printed my boarding passes I noticed two of the rooms were now on deck 9 aft. I called my travel agent and was told that when I added the beverage package to my trip I was moved. They have since given my two balcony rooms next to my son and across from my daughter away to other patrons. My travel agent found two alternate rooms for me on deck 10 forward but not next to my other family memebers. My travel agent reached out to the other patrons and they declined to switch with me so I can be with the rest of my family. They told my travel agent they will switch if they get two mini suites. My travel agent agreed to give them the mini suites and absorb the cost. The other patrons did not like the deck the mini-suites are on so they declined to move. My family and I leave on Sunday 5/24/15. I am very very upset that my family is not together as planned. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You do not mention which cruise line or ship.

You would likely find the most experienced cruisers for your cruise line on the forum dedicated to whichever it is.

There is a drop down menu at the bottom of this page.

Scroll to find your cruise line and click it.

Good luck.

The chance of either cruise line or TA 'owning the headache' is tiny but I am guessing if the TA was willing to put out money to move the new occupants of those cabins to mini-suites, I'd look first at the TA. Why would they be willing to subsidize the mini-suite if they were at no fault?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

On many cruise lines you have the option to mark your reservation "Do Not Upgrade". This means you do not want any free upgrade. If that is not marked, it indicates you are willing to accept a free upgrade. Often people are not told they have been upgraded.

This close to the sailing it is unlikely you will have 3 cabins in a row open up. So just go on the cruise. Don't let this minor setback ruin your vacation.

You might find that once you're on the cruise, it's not as important as you do now. We've cruised with family in 2-3-and 4 cabins that were all next to or across from each other. While we continuously did things together we hardly ever "cross cabined". If we all ended up being nowhere near each other I don't think, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. However.... I would still want to know who and why the change.

Few of reasons

-Were any booked into a higher occupancy cabin? Meaning two people into a cabin holding three?

-Able-bodied in an HC cabin?

-Sailing Princess? Princess is notorious for upgrading pax. What they consider an upgrade the passenger might not. Usually you'd get an email. If booked thru a TA, they'll get the email. Needs to be rectified within 48 hours. Of course many times the email goes into junk. Many check their personalizer daily to check on things.

Good luck.

Edited by SadieN

Happened to us on Celebrity though we didn't find out until checking in at the dock. :mad: It didn't ruin our cruise, but gave us a very bad taste of that line. However, being further away from family was not an issue.

In fact, we have only been on 1 cruise ever where we were within 5 cabins of family. We've had a few where we've been on different decks on opposite ends of the ship-not a big deal at all.

Sorry this happened to you. Depending on how organized you all are you may be surprised to find not being right next to family is a non-issue. Whiteboards, door signs, a deck map and post it's work for us :)

I can understand you being unhappy, however:

The cruise line reserves the right to change your cabin

Once at sea you are unlikely to find it as much of an issue, notes, cards to each others cabin, cabin to cabin phone, all make it easier.

If the cruise reserves the right to change my cabin then why wont they change it back. I presently have two cabins together. They are on the same deck and are directly across on the other balcony side. Same balcony cabins. The only difference is that if they did the switch I could be back next to my family instead of some strangers having cabins next to them. I think it would be the gracious way to go.

My other issue with it is that my daughter who is in the cabin with my husband has a learning disability and I wanted to be closer to them. I was not able to be in the cabin with my daughter because we are also traveling with one of her girlfriends who is in the cabin with me, It would have been inappropriate for me to put her girlfriend with my husband so I could be with my daughter. So the next best thing was close by.

Sorry this happened BUT don't let it ruin your vacation. Get a dry erase board or two, some easy to remove hooks. Place these on the doors to communicate to family your comings and goings. Have fun with it.

Have a great trip.

In August 2014 I booked a cruise for my family vacation leaving in May 2015. There are 8 of us. I booked three balcony cabins on deck 10 forward, next to each other and one across from us. I was given my cabin #'s at that time. In Feb 2015 I added the beverage package to two of my balcony rooms. At the end of April 2015 I was allowed to register online (1 month ahead). When I printed my boarding passes I noticed two of the rooms were now on deck 9 aft. I called my travel agent and was told that when I added the beverage package to my trip I was moved. They have since given my two balcony rooms next to my son and across from my daughter away to other patrons. My travel agent found two alternate rooms for me on deck 10 forward but not next to my other family memebers. My travel agent reached out to the other patrons and they declined to switch with me so I can be with the rest of my family. They told my travel agent they will switch if they get two mini suites. My travel agent agreed to give them the mini suites and absorb the cost. The other patrons did not like the deck the mini-suites are on so they declined to move. My family and I leave on Sunday 5/24/15. I am very very upset that my family is not together as planned. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How many places are you going to post this identical rant.

You canceled and re booked your reservation to get some perks. When you did it you did not specify cabins so you ended up getting moved. it happens, because no cabin is actually guaranteed until you are on the ship and checked in. Its nto like you are traveling with young people in the other cabins. It is not a big deal to walk between cabins even if they are not next to each other.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

On many cruise lines you have the option to mark your reservation "Do Not Upgrade". This means you do not want any free upgrade. If that is not marked, it indicates you are willing to accept a free upgrade. Often people are not told they have been upgraded.

This close to the sailing it is unlikely you will have 3 cabins in a row open up. So just go on the cruise. Don't let this minor setback ruin your vacation.

This does not always worked. We just completed a Celebrity cruise where we specified "do not upgrade or move". The upgraded us from a level 3 outside midships to a level 7 balcony aft. I am not complaining except that my wife is motion sensitive and if there had been rough seas, she would have been uncomfortable.

DON

I believe the switch was done by Norwegian because Norwegian had to add the beverage package to my rooms.

...You canceled and re booked your reservation to get some perks. When you did it you did not specify cabins so you ended up getting moved....
Ah, now it makes sense. There is a big difference between 'adding a beverage package' and 'cancel and rebook to get a beverage package promotion added'. So sorry your TA did not fully explain the rebooking process and was unable to fix the switch.

I agree with others who have said your TA failed to properly explain what could happen as well as those who said not to worry about being next door to everyone. It might be preferable to be a little apart, even with family.

As for your daughter and her friend, since you state you want to be nearby, just do some shuffling once onboard. Put your husband and self in one of the two adjacent cabins, put daughter and friend in the adjacent cabin. Put whomever is left in the cabin across the way on the other side. It is easy to do once checked in and you can get the cards properly re-coded.

dqvol dont make crap up about me. that is not what happened. maybe that is something you would do to get perks but not me. I am a mother and a good person and just want to BE WITH MY FAMILY as planned since august 2014!!! OK I did not rebook at any time. I was moved without notification. as for my posts this is my first attempt at posting and mistakenly posted more times than I wanted to. Sheesh!!! Give me a break!

Thankyoucherylandtk I appreciate your response and suggestions. I am just a mom who works works works and just wants to be with her kids for vacation.

It appears your upset. I understand the frustration with posting on a public board. Here is the key question. Did you add the beverage by paying for it for everyone or did you ask for the promotion that NCL had to get the beverage package for free? It is key to the whole problem.