Board in Victoria?

MGAfhc

We are looking at flying to Victoria in November to visit DD who lives there and might like to combine this with a four day cruise to LA followed by 2 days in LA and then a 7 day Mexico. Does anyone know if it is possible to board the four day in Victoria rather than fly back to Vancouver only to return to Victoria the next day? I realize the fare will be for the full cruise.

I know I've heard of disembarking a cruise before the final port (if the cruise was going the other way I'm pretty sure you could arrange to disembark in Victoria), but I'm not sure if Princess would allow passengers embarking at port calls since they might not be equipped for things like security screening of luggage and check-in. You would have to give them a call to find out.

We are looking at flying to Victoria in November to visit DD who lives there and might like to combine this with a four day cruise to LA followed by 2 days in LA and then a 7 day Mexico. Does anyone know if it is possible to board the four day in Victoria rather than fly back to Vancouver only to return to Victoria the next day? I realize the fare will be for the full cruise.

For some reason I don't think so as princess would have to supply customs with a manifest before sailing which would be done on Vancouver. I could be wrong but call princess you have nothing to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently did a 3 day Vancouver, Victoria , SFO cruise. I boarded in Vancouver but friends boarded in Victoria. They called Princess and made the request, they weren't given a yes or no answer right away, the request was submitted and 4 or 5 days later they received word that they could board in Victoria. A few points though, full fare for 3 days was paid and they were warned that if for some reason the ship could not dock in Victoria they were SOL. It does happen on occasion that due to winds the Princess ships will not attempt to dock. Phone and ask, it's worth a try.

I recently did a 3 day Vancouver, Victoria , SFO cruise. I boarded in Vancouver but friends boarded in Victoria. They called Princess and made the request, they weren't given a yes or no answer right away, the request was submitted and 4 or 5 days later they received word that they could board in Victoria. A few points though, full fare for 3 days was paid and they were warned that if for some reason the ship could not dock in Victoria they were SOL. It does happen on occasion that due to winds the Princess ships will not attempt to dock. Phone and ask, it's worth a try.

Thanks, this is the information I was hoping to get before calling Princess, you never know if the agent there is as well informed as they should be. I am aware that it would be full fare and I can have back-up plan B and C, 1) keep checking weather conditions and fly to Vancouver if it doesn't look good or 2)miss the cruise and fly to LA from Victoria. If insurance comes through it would cost about the same. Also, it would be our 15th cruise and the Mexico cruise would include our 50th anniversary date. People have been known to join a cruise already in progress, in fact when we missed one 2 years ago that is what Princess suggested.

I know Victoria residents who said this can be rather risky. They have known people who have missed the ship because it could not dock for whatever reason. I have also seen entertainers and crew board in Victoria (with luggage). They prefer to make the trip to Vancouver to pick up the ship.

I am not sure insurance would cover your change in plans. Insurance, in my opinion, would cover you if you missed your ship in Vancouver for covered reasons. Your choice to board in Victoria would not likely be part of the policy.

I know Victoria residents who said this can be rather risky. They have known people who have missed the ship because it could not dock for whatever reason. I have also seen entertainers and crew board in Victoria (with luggage). They prefer to make the trip to Vancouver to pick up the ship.

I am not sure insurance would cover your change in plans. Insurance, in my opinion, would cover you if you missed your ship in Vancouver for covered reasons. Your choice to board in Victoria would not likely be part of the policy.

I wouldn't expect to get a cruise interruption claim, only a cancel for any reason credit. A flight to LA would cost about the same as the 4 day cruise fare and I would have 6 days to get there. The 7 day Mexico is the cruise I really want, the 4 day coastal is just a fun way to get there.

I wouldn't expect to get a cruise interruption claim, only a cancel for any reason credit. A flight to LA would cost about the same as the 4 day cruise fare and I would have 6 days to get there. The 7 day Mexico is the cruise I really want, the 4 day coastal is just a fun way to get there.

You have thought this out well. I hope it works for you. Let us know what happens. Are you doing this all on the same ship?