Fishing trip -Skagway or Ketchikan?

GweninTX

We have 2 ports to choose from to go fishing - we will be there the first week of July. Any opinions on salmon or halibut? In Skagway we are there from 5:30 - 8:15 and in Ketchikan we are there from 6:00 AM to 1:00 PM. On our last trip to Alaska we went salmon fishing out of Seward and had a great time. Also would like guide recommendations - we are both avid fisherman and love to fish! Thanks in advance - I have read Trip Advisor - but would like personal opinions too!

Ketchikan would be my first choice. I can recommend Strike Zone Charters, I have known the family for years and know them to be excellent operators and good people. Their bookings do fill up early so you may already be to late.

I don't fish, so this info comes from DH who is highly knowledgeable on deep-sea fishing on the east coast. He had a great experience with Go Fish! in Ketchikan for salmon fishing. Would go with them again. He said the only downside was that they rotated who reeled in a fish once one was hooked. Gave everyone a chance to be in on the action, but he's used to having his own rod. Still he was impressed enough that he would go with them again.

This year he's going halibut and salmon fishing out of Homer.

I don't fish, so this info comes from DH who is highly knowledgeable on deep-sea fishing on the east coast. He had a great experience with Go Fish! in Ketchikan for salmon fishing. Would go with them again. He said the only downside was that they rotated who reeled in a fish once one was hooked. Gave everyone a chance to be in on the action, but he's used to having his own rod. Still he was impressed enough that he would go with them again.

This year he's going halibut and salmon fishing out of Homer.

Have been salmon fishing in Skagway and Juneau and seems the rotating chance of reeling in a fish is the norm on all boats....I did reel one in last year in Juneau.

eclue

Have been salmon fishing in Skagway and Juneau and seems the rotating chance of reeling in a fish is the norm on all boats....I did reel one in last year in Juneau.

eclue

When we fished out of Seward we each had our own rod and were not trolling. Do all the boats out of Ketchikan troll?

When we fished out of Seward we each had our own rod and were not trolling. Do all the boats out of Ketchikan troll?

DH said that yes, they were trolling in Ketchikan. He believes that is standard. From the videos he saw, he doesn't believe he will be trolling in Homer, though.

"typically" you jig for halibut where the boat is drifting and lines hang vertically and for salmon you troll with the lines trailing aft.

!!!!!! when trolling, to avoid fouling lines, most boats will only put 4 lines in the water, two off the stern and one off the port and one off the starboard. BUT surprise, a small commercial operator's license is for six passengers. Your boat may have six people paying to fish but only 4 lines in the water. Check with your operator to avoid a surprise.

Ketchikan would be a better fishing port over Skagway.