Tips for Choosing, Planning and Enjoying an Ocean Cruise

roothy123

I haven’t posted on this board for a while, but I’m back because I have information that some people might find useful. It appears Viking Star has attracted many cruisers with lots of river experience but little ocean experience. To me, ocean and river cruising are quite different, and it helps to know what to expect on an ocean cruise. There is a wealth of information on this forum, but it is scattered over a huge number of pages and posts. Therefore, I decided to take a stab at writing a document that would consolidate a lot of useful information in one place. For the most part this write-up is generic, and I have intentionally not included a lot of specific Viking Star information. Why? First, as I write this, it’s little more than 6 weeks since Star left on her maiden voyage, and no doubt there will be changes. Second, I can’t guarantee I’ll come back to make updates when changes occur. For specific Viking information, there’s always your travel agent, Viking’s website (including My Viking Journey) and various sections of Cruise Critic and other cruise websites. If this thread is helpful, perhaps it can be made a “sticky” so it remains up top and accessible to all.

CHOOSING AND BOOKING YOUR CRUISE:

Itineraries: Cruise Critic (especially the Ports of Call boards (forums) and the Destinations section), plus sites like Trip Advisor, tomsportguides.com, Virtual Tourist and blog sites are a great help in narrowing down which cities you’d like to visit. Think about whether you’d like to see a lot of places in a small amount of time or fewer cities with more days at sea. Do you want to see mostly major cities, or smaller, less crowded, off the beaten track cities? Keep in mind that ocean cruise ships cannot dock just anywhere, so if you want to visit places like Berlin and Gdansk you will have to spend time in a car, train or bus before even reaching these cities. This is particularly true when two cities are listed on the same line of an itinerary (e.g., Gdansk/Gydnia). Some places also involve taking a short ride on a tender boat to get ashore, as there’s no pier, the pier isn’t long enough, or there are too many ships in town to enable all of them to dock. Some people dislike tendering (anchoring); if that’s the case, take note of tender ports, but keep in mind that occasionally ships choose to or are asked to tender at the last minute. Port assignments are made by the ports (and sometimes change at the last minute), so surprises are possible.

Keep in mind that you won’t necessarily have a lot of time to sightsee in the embarkation and disembarkation cities. Viking gives you a little time (and an excursion if you’re staying overnight), but with many to most cruise lines, you’ll only see those cities on the way to and from airports. Long flights from the U.S. usually don’t result in much time for sightseeing before the ship departs. Flying in early cushions you in the event of a major delay, helps diminish jetlag, and allows you to see more of that beautiful embarkation city. Likewise, most flights from Europe to the U.S. leave fairly early, making it difficult to sightsee on disembarkation day unless you stay in town after the cruise. Most cities on ocean cruises have lots to offer and it’s hard to see them in depth on a cruise. However, if you go in early (and stay late), you’ll at least see more than many cruisers do. If time and budget allow, consider taking two cruises back to back so that you see more in one city.

Timing: Think about weather. Historical averages by month are available on numerous websites, and guide books often give the best times to visit an area. Shoulder season usually means fewer people and lower cost, but weather also needs to be considered. For example, during late fall cruising in Venice you may experience “aqua alta” (high water) in St. Mark’s Square. This could either frustrate you or fascinate you, depending on your outlook.

Stateroom: Selection of stateroom/suite is not all about space, as most cruise lines add amenities to the higher room categories (extra or earlier booking for specialty restaurants, special access to spa, free internet minutes, etc.) Know what comes with each category, but don’t agonize too much over things such as location. However, if you’d like to minimize walking (which is obviously much greater on ocean ships) think about where you’ll walk to the most (e.g., dining rooms, exits). If you’re prone to seasickness (and yes, you’ll likely feel movement at times, especially late at night, when most ships pick up speed) many people recommend choosing a room mid-ship and not on the top decks. Sometimes people ask what side of a ship is better, but side is generally not important. Oceans, unlike rivers, don’t afford a lot of scenery to enjoy while cruising, and most ocean ports are not too interesting either. Pier assignments are unpredictable, and ships don’t always “park” the same way, so there’s seldom a reason to choose one side over the other.

Travel agent versus self-booking: Even though I select my own cruises, I usually have a travel agent book them. That’s mostly because he/she gives me goodies like pre-paid gratuities and shipboard credit. I’m not sure Viking has set up arrangements yet to accept payments from travel agents, but if so, I would definitely use an agent. If not, I’d probably still use an agent!

Air arrangements: The decision to book your own flights or use flights arranged by the cruise line can be tricky. I usually get an idea of pricing and availability before I commit to using cruise air. However, if you’re particular and/or want to know your flights right away, you may want to book your own or pay the cruise line for an air deviation. However, be aware that some airlines won’t let you accrue frequent flyer miles if the cruise line books your ticket. I have read good things about Viking Oceans’ air arrangements, but I would still encourage you to look at what’s available for purchase on your own. What’s good is that most cruise lines allow you to accept their air early on and drop it later if you decide to book your own flights. The same is usually true for travel/medical insurance. Historically, the best air fares to Europe are found 4 to 5 months out, but like everything else, nothing is written in stone.

Some people always let the cruise line select air for them, thinking that nothing can go wrong that way. I have yet to figure out just how long a cruise line will wait for delayed passengers, and whether it makes any difference who chose the flights. However, if you want to lessen your stress level, or if you are a conservative traveler, I suppose having the cruise line buy your tickets is the way to go.

Regardless of who books the flights, pay attention to connection times. An hour in some airports is not enough, even if the two flights are in the same terminal. We barely made our connection in London Heathrow last year. If you’re not flying in a day early and the ship departs the same day you arrive, pick a flight that allows plenty of time to get to the port in case the flight’s delayed. Also know when you’re required to be on board. Usually it’s 1 to 2 hours before the ship sails. (For other days, it’s typically a half hour.) For your flight home, keep in mind that the itinerary time for your last port may simply be the time the ship is scheduled to dock. Additional time is needed for the ship to be cleared by the authorities, for you to find your luggage and (often) for you and others to go through an immigration check in the port terminal. In addition, a large number of people will be disembarking in a short amount of time, and many will need cabs. The smaller the ship, the less time will likely be needed, but even on small ships it’s best to allow plenty of time. Besides, bad weather may cause even the best and smallest ship to get in late.

Clarify whether transfers to/from the ship or hotel are included if you use cruise line air. In Europe, we’ve never had problems taking cabs to ports or hotels (and have saved money) but some people feel more comfortable using cruise line transfers. The positives include convenience, minimal handling of luggage and having less to worry about. The negatives are usually increased cost, plus possible waiting while the bus fills up.

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER IMMEDIATELY AFTER BOOKING:

Travel insurance: I purchase insurance for overseas trips, but some people are willing to take greater risk and therefore go without insurance. Sites like insuremytrip.com allow comparison of multiple companies, policies and prices. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, be aware that most companies require you to buy insurance soon after your first payment. If you don’t, expenses related to the condition won’t be covered. I think some cruise lines and travel agents sell insurance without requiring immediate payment, but the price may be higher. If you want “cancel for any reason” insurance, make sure that’s covered by the policy you select. As an aside, there is a doctor on most or all ocean cruise ships. We’ve only had to use one once, but were satisfied with the service and bill.

THINGS TO DO 6 MONTHS OR MORE PRE-CRUISE:

Passport and visas: Check your passport to make sure it doesn’t expire within 6 months after you return home, and that it has empty pages. Determine if you need visas. Requirements vary from country to country and factors such as nationality and plans in a particular country come into play. Incidentally, don’t believe a cruise line that says you must obtain a Russian visa if you take a private excursion from well-known reputable St. Petersburg tour companies. You don’t, but it’s rare to find a cruise line that tells you that.

Air and hotel arrangements: If you’re making your own, start looking for them early, especially in cities where hotel competition is healthy (e.g., Venice in summer). Do a little research to ferret out special conditions. For example, in Venice keep in mind that most people need to take a water bus (vaporetto) or more expensive water taxi, often combined with walking over bridges with luggage. Plan your hotel stay accordingly. Also be aware that a three star hotel in Europe might equate to a different star level in the U.S. and Canada, that old hotels in Europe may not have elevators, and that the first floor in Europe is the second floor in the U.S. If you don’t like researching and don’t feel comfortable doing things on your own, consider purchasing pre- or post-cruise hotel arrangements from the cruise line. They’re usually more expensive, but convenient and less stressful.

Excursions (tours): Being offered complimentary excursions is new for me. The temptation is to just take them and be done with it, especially since I won’t have to plan, go to ATMs to get local money, and worry about how I’ll get out of the port and into the city. Then I remind myself that most complimentary tours only provide an overview of the cities I’ll be visiting. After all, except for the smallest of cruise lines it’s difficult to find enough tour providers to do comprehensive tours for all, particularly when there are multiple ships in port that day. If I want an all day excursion, an unusual one, a fully customized one, or a tour on turnaround day, I need to book my own. Trust me, there is not that much work and risk involved. Besides, if I really have my heart set on a particular tour, booking my own is best. Unfortunately, changes, cancellations and/or “filled up” excursions are not unheard of. Many excursions need a minimum number of people to sign up or they end up being canceled. Note, however, that Viking’s complimentary excursions are guaranteed to be available to all passengers, so no need to worry about them being canceled.

If you prefer private tours, I would not wait until the last minute to arrange them, especially in heavily-visited cities like Dubrovnik. Some private tours are more expensive than cruise ship tours and some are less, assuming you share costs with others. Some companies/guides find people to share and others will rely on you to do this. (Your Cruise Critic Roll Call is the place to start). Some require money upfront, but many do not. Few charge if the ship doesn’t make it to port. The forums in Cruise Critic’s Ports of Call section plus sites like Trip Advisor will point you to reliable vendors who can give you a good tour and get you back to the ship on time. Of course, adding some cushion at the front and back of your day is always a good idea. Keep in mind that the ship’s itinerary time may not be actual arrival time if the weather turns bad or other delays occur. Even with no delays, once the ship pulls alongside a pier, extra time is needed for gangplank setup, clearance by the authorities, and other docking procedures. If tendering is involved, additional time may be needed. Don’t worry, though – if the ship is late, or the port changes the docking location at the last minute, a good tour provider will stay on top of the situation and find you. One final thing to keep in mind is this: On port intensive itineraries, it’s easy to over plan. Taking extensive tours in a new port day after day can be exhausting - and that is not what vacation is all about!

THINGS TO DO CLOSER TO CRUISE DATE:

Viking’s website has a section that outlines things to do to prepare for your cruise: http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/before-you-go/step-by-step-guide.html. Topics include Create My Viking Journey Account, Make Sure Passport is Up to Date, Complete Guest Information Form, Arrange Visas, Plan and Book Shore Excursions, Plan Dining, Explore Ship, Contact Airline, Check Travel Documents, and Confirm Flights and Check in Online. In addition, my personal To Do list includes asking someone to pet/house sit, joining or starting a Roll Call, calling credit card companies to inform them we’re going overseas, preparing contact info for pet/house sitter, making copies of credit cards and passports, getting Euros (although many people get money from ATMs once overseas) and charging batteries. Americans might want to apply for TSA Pre-check (http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck‎) or Global Entry, which is available for some non-Americans as well (http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/how-to-apply). Pre-check gets you through U.S. airport security faster; Global Entry gets you through immigration/Customs faster when you return home. For Americans Global Entry also includes Pre-check privileges. We love Pre-check – easy application with non-obtrusive questions, fast processing time, and not expensive. Of course, the best part is going through security without removing shoes, belts, jackets, and electronics.

Booking specialty restaurants: Stay on top of opening dates for booking reservations and don’t wait until the last minute. On My Viking Journey, a reminder pops up with the number of days you must wait. Before booking, consider what days you might be out sightseeing past dinnertime (or just later than normal), what you will have done each day (easy or exhausting day?), whether a scenic sailaway might tempt you to be on deck at dinner time, how long it will be until you go to another specialty restaurant, etc. Sea days get booked up early, so be flexible. Also be flexible in choosing whether to dine alone or with others. I like dining alone as it’s usually faster, but I also enjoy sharing a table as the majority of cruisers turn out to be wonderful dinner companions. (As for Viking’s Chef’s Table, I will likely wait until I get on board to book. As of May 25, it has been reported that the menu changes every 9 days. That means there will be 2 menus on my cruise, and one may appeal to us more than the other.)

If you’re in a regular veranda stateroom, with no advance bookings possible, I would ask about reservations once you’re onboard. From what I’ve heard, it hasn’t been difficult for people to get reservations once on board, but obviously being flexible will be a great help. If you have dietary concerns, advise Viking 90 days in advance, and notify the Maitre d’ when you board the ship.

Booking excursions (tours): If you know which excursions you want (regardless of whether complimentary or not), try to book when your booking window opens up. My Viking Journey will tell you when this is possible. Once booked, be aware of cancellation deadlines. Apparently the morning complimentary excursions are very, very popular on Viking, but of course this means many are going out in larger groups than some people would like. I have been researching every city to see what can be done independently, either instead of a tour or in addition to it. If the logistics are such that I can explore in the morning and take a tour in the afternoon, I will definitely consider signing up for afternoon tours. If I find a tour is completely booked, I plan to ask when I’m on the ship about the possibility of space opening up later.

Documents: Make copies of important documents (credit cards, passports, insurance policy numbers, etc.) If you’ve never read a cruise line’s Contract of Carriage, skim through it. Cruise lines have a lot of latitude when it comes to port changes, order of visits, etc. Once in a while the ship will have to skip a port completely.

Packing: If you want one weather forecast for all cities you’ll be visiting, see http://www.cruiseoutlook.com. For packing advice, see Rick Steves: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/ricks-packing-list. I make up a tiny bag for things I’ll need for sleeping on the plane, make sure I pack camera batteries in my carryon (they’re dangerous in checked bags) and make sure my electronics are charged. If we’re staying in European hotels, I pack an adapter/converter. I always pack a decent jacket, even in summer, as I like being outside, and it can be windy and cool when that ship gets moving. I also pack a small wrist wrap or fabric pocket “necklace” to hold my cruise card, since I have to take it out frequently to open the room or hand it to security while entering/exiting the ship.

ON THE SHIP:

Boarding: Make sure your luggage tags include your stateroom number, and that you’re carrying the paper documentation that shows you’re on the cruise. Often the cruise line won’t require it, but someone at the door of the port terminal will, so keep it handy. Once on board, notice what furnishings/clues are on the same side of the ship as your room, and take note of furnishings near whichever set of elevators is closest to you. This will reduce time spent trying to find your stateroom for days to come. If your room isn’t ready yet, eat lunch, read literature given to you or available on the ship, tour the public areas of the ship or sit outside and chat up your new shipmates. If you don’t have specialty restaurant, tour, and spa reservations yet, make them. If you have special dietary needs, speak to the Maitre d’.

In the room: If you have things you may not use more than once, you may want to put them in your suitcase and place the suitcase under the bed. (I haven’t reached “One Bag” status yet. On every cruise, I come back home with at least a few things I didn’t need. Besides, if you truly take only one bag, where do you put your pajamas and toothbrush the morning you get off the ship?) Other things that are typical on embarkation day are an emergency (muster) drill, sometimes a Roll Call Meet and Greet, and usually a visit from your steward/stewardess/room attendant. (I usually ask for a lightweight blanket; my husband likes ice, whether he uses it or not! Also, if something in our room is confusing or appears to not work, we ask for help.) Regulations that went into effect January 1, 2015 call for an emergency (muster) drill to be held “prior to or immediately upon departure.” (Previously, it was within 24 hours of embarkation.)

MISCELLANEOUS:

Venue Hours: Many lines have “floating” opening and closing hours for certain venues, and it appears appears Viking is adopting this practice. Therefore, pay attention to hours posted in the daily paper. Of course, some venues are always closed while in port due to marine or local law. As an aside, if you need common non-prescription medical items, you may be able to purchase them from the medical center (usually accessible by phone 24/7).

Electronics: If you bring electronics (tablets, smartphones, some cameras, etc.) you may want to turn off WiFi when you board the ship. WiFi is a precious commodity at sea, and using it sparingly while on board will benefit other passengers. I only check emails once a day, and leave the WiFi off until I’m ready to load and read email. I compose emails off-line and only turn on WiFi when I’m ready to cut, paste and send an email. If I want to email a picture, I compress it heavily before sending. Depending upon the device, this may be done by using a “save as” command or other option, or by downloading an app or photo program to do it.

Ship agent: When you go off the ship, particularly when not on a ship’s excursion, it’s wise to take the “ship agent” information printed in the daily paper. It changes every day. This company can be called if you run into trouble while ashore – e.g., you’re afraid you won’t make it back to the ship on time, the cab driver doesn’t know where the ship is docked, or you’ve been separated from your group. It’s a local number, so if your phone doesn’t work in Europe, you can always ask a local to call for you.

Other websites: If you’re a glutton for information, here are so more websites to enjoy: Forvo pronounces foreign words and place names for you. Vessel Tracker shows a ship’s location, estimated arrival, and last and next ports. In Your Pocket has wonderful city guides, especially for the Baltic. Toms Port Guides are excellent. Pinterest makes it easy to see gorgeous photos from the cities you’ll visit. Time and Date shows what time it is in a foreign country. Cruisett is useful for seeing how many ships will be in port, although individual port sites are more accurate. Exchange-rates.org/accurate shows exchange rates.

I hope the information above is helpful. I haven’t covered everything, but I think it’s a good start. Remember, much of this is based on my and my husband’s experience and your mileage may vary. Also, Viking may do things differently (although I haven’t heard that’s the case), or things may change in the future. Enjoy your cruise. I think you’re going to love it.

Several credit cards offer trip insurance if the trip is purchased (even partially, in some cases) using that credit card. We haven't bought trip insurance since getting our Chase Sapphire.

Also, w.r.t. Russian visas, Viking covers it accurately:

"Guests traveling to Russia on Viking Cruises organized Shore Excursions do not require a Russian Visa provided their stay does not exceed 72 hours in Russian ports, and private tours are available that do not require a separate visa. If you intend to step off the ship alone or to explore independently, you MUST obtain a visa before your cruise commences; please consult your respective embassy or consulate. You must carry your passport with you at all times when ashore in Russia. To assist us in meeting Russian immigration requirements, please bring (in addition to your passport) a photocopy of your passport photo page to provide to our staff at check-in."

Edited by azevedan

Thanks Roothy123 for your posting. We enjoy both river and ocean cruising for different reasons. I was surprised when Viking decided to expand into ocean cruising, but has built a good ship and I believe it will succeed in its expansion.

This was perfect for Mom and I, Roothy123. Yes, there may be a sticky for cruise newbies on CC, but your very detailed post gave me the information I need for a first-time ocean cruise in comparison with the only other "cruise" we've experienced: a Viking river cruise. As such, your post is unique and exceedingly valuable.

I'll add one tip: I make PDFs of all the travel documents and upload them to my Dropbox account. This way they're accessible to me from anywhere I travel where I have wireless; even if I lose my device, the information remains accessible. It's also there for family members back home to refer to if need should arrive.

Mahalo nui loa, once again, for a very thoughtful post.

...I'll add one tip: I make PDFs of all the travel documents and upload them to my Dropbox account. This way they're accessible to me from anywhere I travel where I have wireless; even if I lose my device, the information remains accessible. It's also there for family members back home to refer to if need should arrive.

Great tip about Dropbox! Also, your DB files can be made available on your device even when you're without wifi or cell service if you "favorite" them on your mobile device using the Dropbox app.

...I'll add one tip: I make PDFs of all the travel documents and upload them to my Dropbox account. This way they're accessible to me from anywhere I travel where I have wireless; even if I lose my device, the information remains accessible. It's also there for family members back home to refer to if need should arrive.

Great tip about Dropbox! Also, DB files can be made available on your device even when you're without wifi or cell service if you "favorite" them on your mobile device using the Dropbox app.

Thanks for adding tips, everyone!

I'll have to look into Chase Sapphire and what their insurance covers as I'm not crazy about spending money on travel/medical insurance I rarely use (knock on wood). Also, with this cruise on Viking, I had to jump through an extra hoop to buy insurance after my first payment long ago. Back then, the online insurance sites didn't have fall 2015 in their programs!

I've also heard about the possibility of buying insurance that covers multiple trips, but I haven't found all that much info or feedback on that yet.

I've started using Dropbox, too. I also like apps and web sites where you can download detailed maps for later use off-line. I know I'm going to get lost in Venice without an extremely detailed map, and the maps that guide books and cruise lines provide aren't too detailed. I do better with those dopey tourist maps, but even they aren't always enough for a wanderer like me - or I don't manage to swing by a tourist info office before heading out!

Yes, captain, I love both river and ocean cruising - for different reasons but perhaps equally in terms of satisfaction.

Mahalo, ukalady, and enjoy your first ocean cruise. Thanks sitraveler. I'm afraid to go over to, or post in, the CC newbies section as I may never return. However, I'm sure the Viking newbies can learn a lot over there. I love Cruise Critic! I go on the boards in the Port of Calls section a lot.

We also have a Medjet evacuation policy that covers multiple trips (including my work trips). Family plan for 2 years was around $395, I think. Well worth it. Travel insurance will get you to the nearest hospital. Medjet will get you to a hospital at home.

I don't think the credit cards cover medical; check what your regular medical insurance covers out of country.

Edited by azevedan

• 1 month later...

If anyone is reading this, if you have used an annual travel insurance plan, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I know they exist, but so far, the ones I've seen have been pretty limited in terms of what they cover if you have to cancel or interrupt your trip. While I don't want cancel for any reason, we do want something that covers the whole cost of a moderately-priced two week cruise. The plans I've seen don't do that.

I've looked on insuremytrip and squaremouth, but didn't see much on this topic. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

Edited by roothy123

we do want something that covers the whole cost of a moderately-priced two week cruise.

The credit cards discussed below have limits, but they are per person. Chase Sapphire, for example, has a $10,000 per person, and a maximum of $20,000 per 'trip' regardless of how many are covered. If you purchase airfare separately, that might count (check with them) as additional reimbursement above those limits. The yearly limit (of actual reimbursement) is $40,000.

Edited by azevedan

Thanks for adding tips, everyone!

I'll have to look into Chase Sapphire and what their insurance covers as I'm not crazy about spending money on travel/medical insurance I rarely use (knock on wood). Also, with this cruise on Viking, I had to jump through an extra hoop to buy insurance after my first payment long ago. Back then, the online insurance sites didn't have fall 2015 in their programs!

I've also heard about the possibility of buying insurance that covers multiple trips, but I haven't found all that much info or feedback on that yet.

I've started using Dropbox, too. I also like apps and web sites where you can download detailed maps for later use off-line. I know I'm going to get lost in Venice without an extremely detailed map, and the maps that guide books and cruise lines provide aren't too detailed. I do better with those dopey tourist maps, but even they aren't always enough for a wanderer like me - or I don't manage to swing by a tourist info office before heading out!

Yes, captain, I love both river and ocean cruising - for different reasons but perhaps equally in terms of satisfaction.

Mahalo, ukalady, and enjoy your first ocean cruise. Thanks sitraveler. I'm afraid to go over to, or post in, the CC newbies section as I may never return. However, I'm sure the Viking newbies can learn a lot over there. I love Cruise Critic! I go on the boards in the Port of Calls section a lot.

Roothy...I ise Dropbox for all my documents. A map for Venice is good in a general/neighborhood sense but the best part about Venice is getting lost!