Help me understand renting boston whalers

mitsugirly

I made reservation for our upcoming cruise online. After sending email asking if Whaler was available, they replied that day stating it was and send me form to fill out. Once I filled the form out and mailed back, I did not hear from them for couple days and that was after I sent another email just to confirm. This is what he told me, " You can take either bus #7 or 8 to Somerset Village (10 minute ride) and we are a 10-minute walk away from the bus stop there - past the Post Office, along Mangrove Bay and to the Public Wharf on Mangrove Bay.

A cooler with ice is provided.

We were told that a taxi is only $15 there so we plan on taking a taxi. I think it's cheaper that way (for us), since there are 6 of us going there and at $2.75pp it would be $16.50 total for the bus.

Yes very convenient to the bus stop, if someone has a problem walking any distance they may want to taxi instead. They offered to pay the taxi one way as Somerset does but we didn't need that.

Interesting, they never offered that to us and with us renting both the ski's and the boat, you would think they would have at least offered that to us. :cool:

Interesting, they never offered that to us and with us renting both the ski's and the boat, you would think they would have at least offered that to us. :cool:

They offered that to us as it was a slow day and it's not a normal policy so sorry I mentioned it...Agree the taxi is pretty darn cheap

They offered that to us as it was a slow day and it's not a normal policy so sorry I mentioned it...Agree the taxi is pretty darn cheap

Understood. No biggie. We are getting a free hour, so no complaints at all from me. :D Well, I take that back...my complaint is I sent them my info for the reservation and once again haven't heard back from them. :(

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere (I'm reading at work and trying to not get caught) but is there a website for H2O ?

We are a medium sized group - how many people can you sit on the boats ? What was the rental price quoted to you ?

We have some pretty experienced sailors in our group so I think this would be an awesome thing to do !

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere (I'm reading at work and trying to not get caught) but is there a website for H2O ?

We are a medium sized group - how many people can you sit on the boats ? What was the rental price quoted to you ?

We have some pretty experienced sailors in our group so I think this would be an awesome thing to do !

Yes, as is posted on this thread they have a website.

What is medium size? Below is a photo I took of some of the boats. It's really neat you can go to small beach like the one in the photo and that is the only way to get there.

cb4e34aef137da4c46121f686705a26e.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

HERE is their website.

You can fit up to 6 people in their boat (which is 17'). That's the max allowed.

The price to rent the boat is $80 for the first hour and then $30 every hour after that plus you have to replace the gas you used it it during your trip (gas is $11/gallon and according to their information, it's 5 gallon tank so the most would be $55)

I believe some of the places offer pontoon boats as well and they'll take a larger number. Personally, I'd be tempted to get two whalers; they look like a lot more fun!

Sommerset offers pontoons, but they only hold 10 people, and it's $300 for 4 hours, so that wouldn't work for you anyhow. They have a 15' whaler that also holds 6 people for various rates depending on how many hours you wanted it.

So it looks like either way, with 12 people you will need to rent 2 boats.

Not sure what a "medium sized group" is but K S Watersports (located in the Dockyard or Hamilton) offers a 23' pontoon boat that holds 12 people. The whalers are more fun in our opinion but for the motorboat option you'd want to rent 2 boats if you have more than 6ppl and you'd have to check prices. H2O has a deal where you rent for 5 hrs and pay for 4 hrs with advance reservations and they may offer a multi-boat discount, just have to ask. But either option a great way to see Bermuda.

Edited by blue_water

Woo Hoo. I finally got my booking confirmation this morning to rent our jet skis and motor boat. We are set except....

The forecast has been showing rain for every single day we are there. That will really put a damper on us wanting to do much of anything and especially since we have all water related activities planned. I don't mind a little shower here and there (like they have in the Caribbean) but rain the entire time would be crappy. :( It won't be a nice "first" experience for us, especially if you combine that rain with only 70 degree temps. :cool:

Woo Hoo. I finally got my booking confirmation this morning to rent our jet skis and motor boat. We are set except....

The forecast has been showing rain for every single day we are there. That will really put a damper on us wanting to do much of anything and especially since we have all water related activities planned. I don't mind a little shower here and there (like they have in the Caribbean) but rain the entire time would be crappy. :( It won't be a nice "first" experience for us, especially if you combine that rain with only 70 degree temps. :cool:

The rain weather forcecast comes up every Bermuda cruise season several times. Don't worry about any forecast over five days out. (not just Bermuda, anywhere forecasts that far out are not very accurate). For Bermuda you can only rely on forecasts the day before or maybe two days before. Even then that does not mean rain the whole day. It could mean evening showers.

A couple of weeks ago I did an Eastern Caribbean cruise and rain was predicted every day at all out ports including Fort Lauderdale in the ten day forecast. It never rained excepted for a brief shower on one of our sea days and a light shower began at the very end of our port call at St. Thomas.

Even at home you have understand the forecasts. Look at todays forecast right now for Washington DC. It says 100% rain. Yet currently as I post this it is not raining, 82 degrees, partly cloudy with the sun out. This evening it will rain hard and I feel bad for my two relatives in town from Southern California who have tickets to the Nationals game because I believe it will be rained out but its going to be beautiful day most of the day.

Edited by Charles4515

We just got back yesterday on the summit, we were supposed to rent a Boston whaler from them but due to high winds we didn't go. We did show up to their dock but it was a ghost town, no one around. Our phones weren't working so we weren't sure if they had emailed or called us to say we couldn't go out. Maybe next time!

Mitsugirly - I have to mention that I love your reviews! I'm new to this site and just got back from my first cruise and once I get all my stuff together I plan on doing a review in your style because you really make it feel like we're on the trip with you! Thanks!

We just got back yesterday on the summit, we were supposed to rent a Boston whaler from them but due to high winds we didn't go. We did show up to their dock but it was a ghost town, no one around. Our phones weren't working so we weren't sure if they had emailed or called us to say we couldn't go out. Maybe next time!

Mitsugirly - I have to mention that I love your reviews! I'm new to this site and just got back from my first cruise and once I get all my stuff together I plan on doing a review in your style because you really make it feel like we're on the trip with you! Thanks!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my reviews and inspiring you to do one like it is awesome! :D

So I have to ask, since you were not able to rent from them and you could not get in touch with them, are they going to charge your cc for the day? That's one thing I'm starting to worry about because from the looks of the extended weather, we may be getting rain the entire time we are there. The last thing I will want to do is ride jet skis with the rain pounding on my face at 35+ mph. Not fun. :(

Can anyone confirm there is some type of dock or something sticking out into the water to be able to identify that this is sea glass beach if you are on a boat?

sea-glass-beach.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

Yes June is historically a good dry month for Bermuda and we've traveled there then for that reason. Last visit in June it rained cats and dogs the week prior to our arrival and the week after, and we never saw a drop the week we were there. It was also unseasonably cool that year but the ocean temps were very nice. So ya just never know, especially with today's weather anomalies everywhere. So as Charles said don't put a lot of stock into the forecast, you'll know better once there, just as with your other cruises.

Have a great cruise!

Sorry you weren't able to go out Jaime, hopefully they did try to contact you.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my reviews and inspiring you to do one like it is awesome! :D

So I have to ask, since you were not able to rent from them and you could not get in touch with them, are they going to charge your cc for the day? That's one thing I'm starting to worry about because from the looks of the extended weather, we may be getting rain the entire time we are there. The last thing I will want to do is ride jet skis with the rain pounding on my face at 35+ mph. Not fun. :(

I haven't found any emails from them, I had over 500 waiting for me when we got back:eek:! So unless they emailed my husband they never contacted us. My phone was working in bermuda, my mom called me and I talked to her, I just couldn't make outgoing calls for some reason... We'll be watching our credit card activity and if anything shows up we'll just dispute it.

Looking forward to reading your review and what you did on your trip!:D

I haven't found any emails from them, I had over 500 waiting for me when we got back:eek:! So unless they emailed my husband they never contacted us. My phone was working in bermuda, my mom called me and I talked to her, I just couldn't make outgoing calls for some reason... We'll be watching our credit card activity and if anything shows up we'll just dispute it.

In this case Jaime you said you didn't go due to high winds, did you call and cancel at that time or you just didn't show up because of high winds? And you did go to their dock, was that later? Not clear on what happened there since you said you didn't go due to high winds but you showed up...?

mitsugirly I don't remember their cancellation policy but they are a very reputable outfit. If the weather is less than desirable they will not charge you if you cancel. You should always contact them with any changes or cancellations of course. :rolleyes:

In this case Jaime you said you didn't go due to high winds, did you call and cancel at that time or you just didn't show up because of high winds? And you did go to their dock, was that later? Not clear on what happened there since you said you didn't go due to high winds but you showed up...?

mitsugirly I don't remember their cancellation policy but they are a very reputable outfit. If the weather is less than desirable they will not charge you if you cancel. You should always contact them with any changes or cancellations of course. :rolleyes:

Jaime said they showed up at the dock and no one was around. Did not say how they knew it was due to high winds . I don't think they have worry about being charged if no one was there and the boats did not go out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Ok, I was just wondering. We will not have our phones on for fear of the charges that might occur that would probably cause us to faint. :D

Their cancellation policy:

*Any cancellations must be made 24 in advance of your scheduled boat rental; otherwise you will be charged the full price of your boat rental.

* We accept cancellations within 24 hours of your scheduled tour/rental due to small craft warnings and/or continuous rain.

*To cancel or change a reservation please email h2osportsbermuda@yahoo.com or call 441 234 3082 (please leave a message if we cannot answer).

I know there's no way we would be able to cancel before 24 hours because there's no way to know what the weather is going to be like at that time. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the "continuous rain" would automatically cancel it.

I won't be able to call since we won't have service, but I do plan on getting the internet package there and I'll at least be able to do the email part. I just hope they have better service checking it/answering it than what I've had over the last week trying to actually book the excursion. :)

Jaime said they showed up at the dock and no one was around. Did not say how they knew it was due to high winds . I don't think they have worry about being charged if no one was there and the boats did not go out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm confused about what showing up at the dock has to do with it? They don't meet you at the dock. You have to either 1) take the bus there or 2) catch a cab there. So, there wouldn't be anyone at the dock waiting for you either way. :confused:

I'm confused about what showing up at the dock has to do with it? They don't meet you at the dock. You have to either 1) take the bus there or 2) catch a cab there. So, there wouldn't be anyone at the dock waiting for you either way. :confused:

She said showed up at "their" dock. So she must have taken a bus or taxi to "their" dock. That is how I interpreted what she wrote because she said "their" dock.

She said showed up at "their" dock. So she must have taken a bus or taxi to "their" dock. That is how I interpreted what she wrote because she said "their" dock.

Ok, just wondering. I must have not caught that part but do remember reading it and I took it as the ship dock. Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. :)