Lost passport!

I cannot find my husband's passport for our upcoming cruise. I can't find his birth certificate either. Will our marriage license or an old (expired) passport suffice to get on the ship? I know I can get a new passport expedited, but I'd like to avoid having to pay for that if possible.

I cannot find my husband's passport for our upcoming cruise. I can't find his birth certificate either. Will our marriage license or an old (expired) passport suffice to get on the ship? I know I can get a new passport expedited, but I'd like to avoid having to pay for that if possible.

I don't know about your community, but here I can get a certified copy of my birth certificate for around ten dollars and a trip downtown. An expired passport will not get you far.

You won't get on the ship without proper documentation. I would call Royal immediately and find out exactly what they will accept.

They make you get a new one for a reason once your passport expires - they will not accept an expired passport. I also doubt a marriage license is acceptable .. looks like you will have to report it as missing/stolen and have a new one expedited.

Edited by msnap

Yikes, better start the process for the expedited passport! You are missing the best and the second-best pieces of identification. :(

EDITED to add: obviously, you have looked in the usual places. Have you looked in the unusual places? I'm not being glib, but there have been many threads here over the years involving missing passports; some ideas included "the maid may have moved it", and in one case the family dog had taken it and hidden it behind the bed. Yes, really. :) Did you take it from its usual place in preparation for your cruise? When did he have it last?

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I don't know about your community, but here I can get a certified copy of my birth certificate for around ten dollars and a trip downtown. An expired passport will not get you far.

Will that work if you aren't born in that town. :confused:

Keep looking for the passport. Happened to us once. Turned the house upside down. Found it in the pocket of a piece of luggage.

If you haven't found it, I'd get the replacement process underway and in expedited fashion.

You should be able to go through the state's department of public records. Just google "<State he was born in> department of public records." Most states will let you order copies of birth certificates and marriage licenses expedited.

Better go ahead and pay the expedited Passport fee or order him a new Birth Cert. online through vital records. You could probably go to the local courthouse where he was born and get one too. I know we can here in Ga.

Neither of the Docs you listed will get him onboard the ship.

Edited by ryano

If you are in the same state that you were born, you can get a copy of your birth certificate at the county vital statistics office. It doesn't have to be in the same county you were born. They may only offer the "short form" which works just fine and I believe it was $12 when I got my daughters. Don't stress, enjoy your cruise!

I'm sure that depends on the town and state. In my case I live close to birthplace. I'm sure there is a way to obtain it though if you've moved, just need to contact the relavent department of vital statistics for the process.

It would have taken 4 weeks to get a new birth certificate from the state of California. BUT....

He found his passport!!!! It was in his computer bag at work.

Glad he found it :)

It would have taken 4 weeks to get a new birth certificate from the state of California. BUT....

He found his passport!!!! It was in his computer bag at work.

The best solution.:)

I don't know the answer, but I am sure everyone's first question is going to be, "What ports does the cruise go to?"

You have the only relevant question. Per the WHTI agreement, not all cruises require a passport. You are allowed to carry another form of government issued I.d. ( ie drivers license) A typical closed end Caribbean Cruise does not require a passport. Only if you would need to FLY home, maybe due to an emergency, would you have to have one.

Op, Glad you found it.

You have the only relevant question. Per the WHTI agreement, not all cruises require a passport. You are allowed to carry another form of government issued I.d. ( ie drivers license) A typical closed end Caribbean Cruise does not require a passport. Only if you would need to FLY home, maybe due to an emergency, would you have to have one.

Op, Glad you found it.

According to RCI a drivers license would also require a birth certificate or original naturalization certificate.

Birth Certificates are issued by the state. As long as you live in the state you were born in, most counties and cities of any size have a vital records department where you can get a raised seal birth certificate. In Missouri the cost is $25.00 and they print it while you wait. If you do not live in the state you were born in you will have to order one from that state's vital records department. It has been my experience that if you have to order a birth certificate you will need at least a month.

Now that he has found his passport, go to walmart and buy a small box safe that is fireproof. Put it on the kitchen table when you leave as a reminder to put your passports away. Put the box away where you will know where it is. Order a new birth certificate and put yours, his, and your marriage license in there as well.