first time questions

dinkydimps

My wife and I have never cruised before and have booked on the Eclipse on 11/7 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We live a considerable distance from Southampton and have booked a hotel with transfer the night before. We will be dropped off by taxi at the port with the luggage and carry on luggage + (long dresses/suits in dust covers). I understand the suitcases are sent to the cabin later but do we have to carry everything else around with us until the cabin is available? or can the dresses/suits be left with the suitcases?

Any help for us newbies would be appreciated...

Hi

Make sure you have Luggage Tags attached

and they will be sent right to your cabin.

You only need to take your personal stuff with you,

Head to Bistro on 5 ($10pp charge) or head to the Aqua Cafe

which is free, both of these venues will be a lot less crowded

and not like the zoo that the Buffet Area is like on

Embarkation Day

Please please please buy an extra suitcase to put the suits and dresses in! Then you can check them with confidence.

Agree 100%. Make it a cheapy so that you can leave it behind afterwards if you don't want it going forward. Your suits and dresses will arrive in a better state than if left on hangers and plastic covers

My wife and I have never cruised before and have booked on the Eclipse on 11/7 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We live a considerable distance from Southampton and have booked a hotel with transfer the night before. We will be dropped off by taxi at the port with the luggage and carry on luggage + (long dresses/suits in dust covers). I understand the suitcases are sent to the cabin later but do we have to carry everything else around with us until the cabin is available? or can the dresses/suits be left with the suitcases?

Congratulations on your anniversary, I'm sure you'll love your first cruise, remember it gets addictive. As others have mentioned, I would recommend you get (buy or borrow) a proper garment bag or just put them in an extra suitcase. You should keep your personal bag with you containing any valuables and medications. I prefer to shlep around a suitcase on wheels than worry about if and when my things will arrive at the cabin.

I absolutely agree. We sailed from Southampton and one of the biggest bonuses was being able to drive around to the luggage drop, open the car boot, and the luggage handlers taking the suitcases out and off they go. You can take as many cases as you can fit in the car. Then you just park and walk to the building for checking in - or in a taxi, ask the driver to go via the baggage drop first so you don't have to walk around with all your cases.

The other reason for taking cases as opposed to garment covers/dresses on hangers, is that when you end your cruise at Southampton you have to find your cases in a great big hangar-like building. Two of our cases were grouped together, but the third was with a different group. I can only imagine where all your suits and dresses would end up and what they'd look like by the time you find them! DEFINITELY put everything in suitcases or hand luggage. :)

Edited by spanner14

Agree, put the gowns and suits in checked bags. You can always have them pressed as needed.

I recommend keeping with you a small rolling bag containing items difficult to replace (jewelry, medications, a change of undergarments, laptop or iPad, etc.). Just wheel it aboard and park it next to you until your stateroom is ready about 1 p.m. Put an extra tag on it just in case you leave it somewhere by mistake.

Good advice about heading for Bistro on Five after boarding for lunch. Very civilized versus the buffet.

I would take them with me . go straight to the cabin there will be attendants nearby . ask them if you / they can put them inside and then go of and enjoy the facilities onboard [emoji41]

Never got on in UK but our cabins have always been available as soon as we get on except once when we did as above [emoji41]

at the end of the cruise best to carry them off with you .

No, the last post is incorrect. You can't even access your rooms. The hall doors won't even be opened.

Have them in your case and hang them up as soon as you get in. You can hang them in the bathroom with a steamy shower and by the time the first formal night arrives you won't have to worry about wrinkles. Or you can have them pressed - just ask your cabin attendant to do that on the first night so it'll be ready.

Have a wonderful time! Keep reading here on this forum and on your particular Roll Call and you'll have more than enough information to keep you busy!

I agree with the recommendation to put your suits and dresses in a suitcase.

If you are worried about creasing, google "Modern Butlers Packing" for great packing instructions. I use Tesco Value Swing Bin liners cut open into sheets rather than tissue paper - the garments slip much more and crease less.

If there are any creases when you unpack, hang the garments in the bathroom and run a hot shower. Any creases will drop out in the steam.

There's a really easy cure for this. Plan to board after 1:30 when the cabins are (usually) available and you can walk straight to your cabin with your carryons.

If you need to board before then, definitely use a suitcase, however.

No, the last post is incorrect. You can't even access your rooms. The hall doors won't even be opened.

!

excuse me [emoji15]

I did say that on one occasion we couldn't get to the room. however the staff happily took our stuff and put them in the room for us.

Oh and we didnt have to tip them to do it.

[emoji41]