Horseshoe Bay shuttle?

LadyBerard

Glad you had great weather. I know you worried because of the forecasts. I will be leaving for Bermuda next weekend and am hoping for good weather. As for the ride there and back, hope not to have a bad ride either way. I have had some doozies to Bermuda. The seas can get rough. I have been on over 50 cruises and have only seen the barf bags out on a couple of those cruises. I tell people they might want to do their first cruise to Bermuda because they may never book a cruise again.

The seas were a little rough on the way down, but nothing to me. I did see people carrying barf bags and I personally laughed because I have been on ships much worse, but I guess it doesn't bother me at all. (Not laugh at the people that do get sick, just laugh because I didn't realize the seas were too rough until I started seeing people with the barf bags here and there).

Our main problem was the weather being cold. It was extremely cold in Boston to me and on sailaway day and the following sea days from Bermuda. Then it started getting really cold coming back from Bermuda and you could feel the temps dropping (we were at the pool for a lot of the day) hour by hour. Then within about 3 hours, it was freezing and we were in the middle of fog with the ships horn being blown every 3 minutes. I like warm weather...especially for sailaway day and coming back. I think I just need to learn to cruise out of Florida most of the time for the warmer weather (to be happy). LOL I've had cold weather from all the eastern ports and even NOLA. But Florida has always went well for us. :p

There's always the Breakaway!

Having done both the Breakaway and the Dawn, I actually like the itinerary out of NYC a little better, because you get two sea days on the way down, and one on the way back. I prefer that because when I leave Bermuda, I always feel like the vacation is ending; I feel like I get more mileage out of my sea days when I have two on the way down.

Plus there's more open in Bermuda on Wednesday / Thursday / Friday than on Sunday / Monday / Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to the review; I'm glad you had good weather when you were on the island!

Exactly. That's what I'm considering. My only issue is the Breakaway is so much more expensive because we ALWAYS book using the family and friends (or kids sail free) promo when we cruise. It saves so much money for us (especially when the entire family goes). With the Breakaway, there's nothing like that to use (unless it's during colder weather, which I wouldn't consider).

But, I agree with you, I would rather be on Breakaway since they have things open, especially on Wednesdays, and I feel we would get more out of it (especially not being there on a Sunday when there's no ferry running). :(

Exactly. That's what I'm considering. My only issue is the Breakaway is so much more expensive because we ALWAYS book using the family and friends (or kids sail free) promo when we cruise. It saves so much money for us (especially when the entire family goes). With the Breakaway, there's nothing like that to use (unless it's during colder weather, which I wouldn't consider).

But, I agree with you, I would rather be on Breakaway since they have things open, especially on Wednesdays, and I feel we would get more out of it (especially not being there on a Sunday when there's no ferry running). :(

Yeah, you're right about that...we cruised to Bermuda on the Star, the Dawn, and the Breakaway, and the Breakaway is by far the most expensive. You do get a much newer ship and more entertainment, but I do miss the Star out of NYC, where you'd get the NYC - Bermuda itinerary but without the Breakaway's prices.

My wife is a teacher, so we're restricted to cruising during her summer vacation. If I had my pick, though, I would probably go to Bermuda on the Breakaway in September. Much lower prices (pretty much comparable to the Dawn), and the weather's still great.

The seas were a little rough on the way down, but nothing to me. I did see people carrying barf bags and I personally laughed because I have been on ships much worse, but I guess it doesn't bother me at all. (Not laugh at the people that do get sick, just laugh because I didn't realize the seas were too rough until I started seeing people with the barf bags here and there).

Our main problem was the weather being cold. It was extremely cold in Boston to me and on sailaway day and the following sea days from Bermuda. Then it started getting really cold coming back from Bermuda and you could feel the temps dropping (we were at the pool for a lot of the day) hour by hour. Then within about 3 hours, it was freezing and we were in the middle of fog with the ships horn being blown every 3 minutes. I like warm weather...especially for sailaway day and coming back. I think I just need to learn to cruise out of Florida most of the time for the warmer weather (to be happy). LOL I've had cold weather from all the eastern ports and even NOLA. But Florida has always went well for us. :p

About 25% of the population is prone to motion sickness. I don't have that problem but if that 25% is barfing that makes it unpleasant even if you are not barfing.

As for the cold that is the problem with sailing out of the northeast May and early June. That is why I flew to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise this May and booked Bermuda for late June rather than cruise out of New York. Also I book a ship that has an indoor pool, Summit. Out of Boston you could have booked Veendam. I booked Veendam twice out of New York. Veendam has a sliding dome to cover the pool so that works out great if there is rain or cold weather. This year it was weird weather, it was unseasonably warm most of May and then got cool. Now it is hot here, hotter then usual for June. It has been 90's this week.

• 1 month later...
The link to the shuttle web site is no longer working. Is the shuttle still running? Also, can you purchase a one-way ticket? Thanks!

It was operating a month ago. I wouldn't make much of the web site not working. They advertise it as a $16 round trip service. You get two tear off tickets and a discount coupon for beverage at the Frog and Onion for the $16. I don't know if they will sell you a one way ticket. It didn't occur to me to ask. There may be other minibus operators who are not a part of the shuttle service who will take you one way from the Dockyard or back from Horseshoe.

It was operating a month ago. I wouldn't make much of the web site not working. They advertise it as a $16 round trip service. You get two tear off tickets and a discount coupon for beverage at the Frog and Onion for the $16. I don't know if they will sell you a one way ticket. It didn't occur to me to ask. There may be other minibus operators who are not a part of the shuttle service who will take you one way from the Dockyard or back from Horseshoe.

Thanks for the info!

I thought I read somewhere that in order to ride the #7 bus you cant be in your wet or patially wet swimsuit you have to change clothes. Is this true of the $16 shuttle as well? I mean usually we dont come back dripping as we dont come back right after getting out of the water but would lounge around a bit...just wanted to make sure before we go with no change of clothes and are denied?:confused:

I thought I read somewhere that in order to ride the #7 bus you cant be in your wet or patially wet swimsuit you have to change clothes. Is this true of the $16 shuttle as well? I mean usually we dont come back dripping as we dont come back right after getting out of the water but would lounge around a bit...just wanted to make sure before we go with no change of clothes and are denied?:confused:

That would be up to the drivers. It is their vehicles. It is not just bus drivers who are particular about swimsuits. Taxis won't take you either. They are more particular about it than the bus drivers. It is a traditional cultural thing to keep the vehicles nice. There are changing facilities so there is no reason not to have a change of clothes if you have a wet swimsuit. Or women can have a coverup. I bring a pair of shorts and put it on over my swimsuit since I have one of those fast drying swimsuits.

Edited by Charles4515

That would be up to the drivers. It is their vehicles. It is not just bus drivers who are particular about swimsuits. Taxis won't take you either. They are more particular about it than the bus drivers. It is a traditional cultural thing to keep the vehicles nice. There are changing facilities so there is no reason not to have a change of clothes if you have a wet swimsuit. Or women can have a coverup. I bring a pair of shorts and put it on over my swimsuit since I have one of those fast drying swimsuits.

ok, that is what we would do...we wouldnt be in just the swimsuit. We would go either in a cover-up or with shorts and tank. Hang at the beach, swim...then we would lounge on the beach till dry and ready to leave, put our cover-ups or shorts and tanks back on then head back to the ship to shower and get ready for dinner. DH swim trunks dry pretty quick but wasnt sure if they would say no no matter what if they saw swimsuits under the cover-up.

If you take the ferry into Hamilton (4.50 for a token), you can buy a 15 pack of 14-zone tickets for $37.50 (adult) or $9.50 (child) at the ticket center right there at the ferry terminal. Each ride on the public bus then will cost $2.50 per adult and $.63 per child (children under 5 ride free). For families on a budget, it makes sense.

My husband and I go to Bermuda almost every year on the Summit and make sure to pick up a 15-pack when our supply gets low--much cheaper than the shuttle, tokens, or day passes. Only trouble is that they are not usually available for purchase at the Dockyard--you have to go into Hamilton to get them.

The shuttle you need cash. When they leave beach they cover the seats in towels so it is not a problem if you are in your swimsuit or not. We will use the shuttles when we go back. They were very friendly and we never had to wait.

The shuttle you need cash. When they leave beach they cover the seats in towels so it is not a problem if you are in your swimsuit or not. We will use the shuttles when we go back. They were very friendly and we never had to wait.

Great thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
If you take the ferry into Hamilton (4.50 for a token), you can buy a 15 pack of 14-zone tickets for $37.50 (adult) or $9.50 (child) at the ticket center right there at the ferry terminal. Each ride on the public bus then will cost $2.50 per adult and $.63 per child (children under 5 ride free). For families on a budget, it makes sense.

My husband and I go to Bermuda almost every year on the Summit and make sure to pick up a 15-pack when our supply gets low--much cheaper than the shuttle, tokens, or day passes. Only trouble is that they are not usually available for purchase at the Dockyard--you have to go into Hamilton to get them.

How many tickets from the 15 pack you need to go from Dockyard to Hamilton?

Are they good for ferries?

thanks

How many tickets from the 15 pack you need to go from Dockyard to Hamilton?

Are they good for ferries?

thanks

It's one ticket per person for the bus or the ferry. We did this last time and if you have any tickets left over they are good for when you return even if it's not the same year.

• 2 months later...

Question has anyone taken the bus (using the tickets) down to Warrick Long Bay and then walked up to Horseshoe Bay? We were told this would be a unique and great thing to do...but when I googled it seems as though there is no way to walk along the waters edge although there seemed to be some "trail" spots. Any advice would be great, we are going in August 2016. Now off to research getting to Gibbs Lighthouse! Oh and we will be on the Summit so docking at Kings Wharf. ;)

Question has anyone taken the bus (using the tickets) down to Warrick Long Bay and then walked up to Horseshoe Bay? We were told this would be a unique and great thing to do...but when I googled it seems as though there is no way to walk along the waters edge although there seemed to be some "trail" spots. Any advice would be great, we are going in August 2016. Now off to research getting to Gibbs Lighthouse! Oh and we will be on the Summit so docking at Kings Wharf. ;)

I have walked from Horseshoe to Warrick Long Bay. You can walk along the beach and when you come to rock formations blocking the way you can go around them in the water. Or you can take the paths on what I will call the dunes that are behind the beach. I did some of both. It is pretty easy to figure out. I did not think the paths were too steep but I do a bit of hiking and walking and have no impairments. The only issue was the horse manure on a small section of path left by the Spicelands Horseback Rides. Had to watch my steps. I enjoyed the walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Ah Charles thanks again. Which way would you recommend? We were told to get dropped off at Warrick and then walk to Horseshoe, then we could relax swim there and then catch the bus from there back to the ship. Now you mention walking in the water...is it shallow enough to walk through as we would have our beach bag with us to hold our camera, towels etc? Will the tide be an issue? We are in pretty good shape although with 2 sea days and the cruise food we may be a bit heavier and a little slower..lol. Do you know roughly how long it takes to do the walk?

Ah Charles thanks again. Which way would you recommend? We were told to get dropped off at Warrick and then walk to Horseshoe, then we could relax swim there and then catch the bus from there back to the ship. Now you mention walking in the water...is it shallow enough to walk through as we would have our beach bag with us to hold our camera, towels etc? Will the tide be an issue? We are in pretty good shape although with 2 sea days and the cruise food we may be a bit heavier and a little slower..lol. Do you know roughly how long it takes to do the walk?

It does not matter a whole lot but it might be better for you to start at Warwick because if you start at Horseshoe you might not know when you have reached Warwick, but going from Warwick to Horseshoe you will know when you get to Horseshoe. I started at Horseshoe because I was not originally planning to do that walk that day.

Yes, the date, time and tide will effect where you can walk on the beach or take the paths. When you are there you will figure out how to go forward.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles thanks again..I will make sure to look at the tides to see. We will most likely set off midmorning ish after having breakfast on ship then get ready and head out...probably hope to be at Warrick between 10 to 11 check it out then start towards Horseshoe so we can lounge in the sun and swim a little. We are going in august. If we do get stuck and have to stay at Warrick I assume since the bus drops off there it would also pick up there as well right..?

Edited by cruzrbachoua

We just did this walk a few weeks ago and it was awesome. We went from Warwick (using the #7 bus) and walked to Horseshoe (while stopping along the way). We wanted to end up at Horseshoe because they have facilities, food and easy to catch either the bus or taxi back to the ship.

You can find my full review ON THIS PAGE, which has pictures of us walking from start to finish. :)