Sony A6000

c230k

Didn't even know they made such a thing! Most people I know just push and hold the flash tilted up (nice touch on these cameras that they allow the built-in flash to tilt upward in the first place), but if using flash often, a card that holds the flash in the up position is a pretty smart idea.

I use supplied hoods as protection for my lenses, but since the 16-50 does not have one, and, as Dave noted above, is a little awkwardly sized for a third party hood, I decided to get a good B+W UV filter for it for protection. The lens was just a little too exposed for me without it (and I am good about putting the lens cap back on, but still.) :)

I would say 90% of the Sony lens you can buy do have hoods. Except the small 16-50mm lens, guess the size is why no hood. All my Sony lens have hoods. I bought the Sony HX400V, need a super zoom, great camera and there is no hood for it. My 18-55mm (small) but came with the hood.

Tom :cool:

I never saw a picture of any Sony lenses with hoods, I just assumed they didn't come with them. Good to hear. Thx.

The 55-210 "kit" lens came with a hood, as does the 18-200 (my new travel lens :-) ).

Edited by Turtles06

I never saw a picture of any Sony lenses with hoods, I just assumed they didn't come with them. Good to hear. Thx.

FYI

Third party lenses I have like the Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 and Sigma 19mm came with hoods. The 8mm fisheye has a small integral lip (as do most fisheyes) with a proprietary lens cap.

Canon is the only brand I know of that sells the hoods separately for the majority of their lenses. Never met a non-Canon owner that wasn't surprised or a Canon owner who cared! :)

Dave

Edited by pierces

And so it begins....;)

Dave

:):):)

I lucked out with a $100 price drop on that lens a few weeks ago! It's sort of absurdly large for the a6000 body, but I am loving it so far.

BTW, having been a happy B&H customer on line for many years, I finally had the opportunity recently to visit their Superstore in NY. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't think of any other retail store that is so enormous AND so well run. It just blew me away. And the folks there could not have been nicer.

I have been a B&H customer off and on for 30+ years (print ads in the back of Pop Photo!). We are taking a Fall Colors cruise later this year and it ends in Port Liberty. We are staying an extra day and I only have two destinations planned...the 9/11 memorial and B&H!

Dave

I have been a B&H customer off and on for 30+ years (print ads in the back of Pop Photo!). We are taking a Fall Colors cruise later this year and it ends in Port Liberty. We are staying an extra day and I only have two destinations planned...the 9/11 memorial and B&H!

Dave

LOL!

Not sure when you'll be in NY, but just wanted to be sure you know they close early on Fridays and are closed on Saturdays...

You are going to be amazed!

Since this is "the" a6000 resource thread, I just want to note over here for anyone reading that over on a different thread Dave and Tom in the last couple of days have provided very helpful advice and information about a couple of wide angle E-mount lenses (the Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 lens, which is a manual focus lens, and Sony's [pricier] 10-18mm), as well as great advice about using the a6000's focus peaking and focus magnifier features (and some stunning images from Dave)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46888419&postcount=36

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46891065&postcount=38

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46888419&postcount=36

Thank you both!

Dave twisted my arm and I bought the Sony 50 1.8, what a great score!! Now unless I sell things the 12mm will be waiting a little while longer.

John

I don't recall a twist. There was a nudge. I remember a nudge but no twist!

;)

Dave

Okay, a big nudge maybe, this week the 12 went on Lighting deal at Amazon for $269 and I just couldn't pull the trigger, maybe if I can sell some of my extra Minolta lens I can get it before the cruise. I don't think I can pull it off before my trip to Antelope Canyon.

John

Okay, a big nudge maybe, this week the 12 went on Lighting deal at Amazon for $269 and I just couldn't pull the trigger, maybe if I can sell some of my extra Minolta lens I can get it before the cruise. I don't think I can pull it off before my trip to Antelope Canyon.

John

Dave mentioned that incredible sale price in the other thread. It's $319 everywhere now. Does that lens tend to get discounted periodically? Do I have to watch prices daily? :)

My family did good for father's Day, Since the A6000 is small they decided to get me smaller accessories, A compact Manfrotto tripod with ballhead, lightweight Dolica Monopod with a Gittos Ballhead, and finally a Blackrapid Metro strap. I think I can use the monopod for selfies, uh I mean elevated shots like my idol Dave.

Hope everyone has a GREAT Father's Day.

John

The first good workout, of any consequence anyways, for my new kit will be the family reunion family pics - they asked me to do them.

As mentioned previously I'll have the 16-50 (and the 55-200) lens, mounted on my weighty Bogen tripod. For a remote trigger, to minimize human-induced vibrations, is the phone app the easiest way to go?

Honestly, seeing a refurb kit with the 16-50 and 55-210 for just over $600.. I've been tempted as a backup camera.

GREAT IDEA !!! I bought a second A6000 for backup and also to use were I don't have to change lens as much. I bought second camera new for $410.00, but you get two extra lens, sounds good to me. The camera size help me to decide to have two, not that much more to carry. Have been times were it helped to be fast and not have to change a lens.

Tom :cool:

Edited by c230k

Download the update and run it on the PC. It will walk you through connecting the camera, setting the USB mode to Mass Storage and proceed step by step.

Be patient. The update takes 5 minutes or more and the "Finish" step when the camera reboots leaves the LCD blank for a nerve-wracking minute or so.

Download - run - read - click - done.

Dave

I had a little quiet time today, so I decided to update my firmware. It took close to ten minutes for the update itself (on my laptop), while I sweated bullets, :) , but then the Finish step was so fast I was concerned something was wrong. But it all seems okay, the camera now shows Ver. 2.0 as the firmware version.

Thanks for the tips along the way!