Differences between Cunard dining attire and that of .....

Sue's Mom

I've got a lot to learn! I see there is a black/red/gold theme, and a masquerade theme. Any information is welcome. We would love to participate. Do these themes apply to all bookings and stateroom levels?

Also, can we each bring a bottle of wine on board for in room consumption? We plan on having a cocktail in all the bars to experience the ship to the fullest, need clarification.

Thank you.

I've got a lot to learn! I see there is a black/red/gold theme, and a masquerade theme. Any information is welcome. We would love to participate. Do these themes apply to all bookings and stateroom levels?

Yes, the masquerade theme is really only for the ball. It's not compulsory. The black/red/gold is a special theme for the 175th anniversary, again not compulsory.

Also, can we each bring a bottle of wine on board for in room consumption? We plan on having a cocktail in all the bars to experience the ship to the fullest, need clarification.

Yes

Thank you.

Have a great trip and ask away, that's what we're here for !

Just returned from our first cruise with Cunard, review to follow. The formal dress code was strictly adhered to and I have to say added to the splendour of the ship. On 'informal' evenings the dress code was still very smart and certainly in the MDR all the guys wore jackets, though ties were less apparant. Smart pants, light weight jackets and nice shirts were de rigueur! Ladies in the main were very elegant. It did make us titter to see how the rules are interpreted however. One chap we saw although sticking to the code by wearing a jacket had made the unforgivable error of wearing sandals with socks! He wasn't banished to the lido or the winter gardens for his sins though!

... My most recent Cunard cruise was a Fall Caribbean cruise out of New York on QM2, soon after she entered service. Certainly on formal nights, tuxedos and suits were approrpiate. But on informal nights, I don't recall needing to wear a jacket, and certainly did not wear a tie ...
Hi rkacruiser,

I may be able to assist your memory. In the early days on board QM2 there were three levels in the "dress code":

"Formal: Tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit) for men. Evening gown, cocktail dress or other formal attire for women.

Informal: Jacket and tie required for men. Dress, pantsuit or similar for women.

Casual: For men, slacks and sweater or shirt. For women, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse."

That was in 2006 (I've the booklet for my first QM2 voyage in front of me). I well remember dining in the Carvery (part of the Kings Court) on the one mid-crossing "Casual" night, in an open-neck shirt (no jacket).

I believe that there were many complaints from regular trans-atlantic passengers (used to the more formal QE2) that QM2 was too casual, so there was a shift in the dress code; by 2007 (again, taken from a cruise booklet) the dress code was:

"Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or other formal attire for ladies.

Semiformal: Jacket & tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. No jeans.

Elegant Casual: Jacket, no tie required for gentleman. Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies. No shorts or jeans."

This changed again a couple of years back to the current easy-to-understand two tier system; Formal and Informal (However, I'm one of those who wear a tie, even on informal nights).

Hope this helps :) , best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Thank you.

Hi Kendon. The theme balls are held in the Queens Room and people dress up to got to the ball. You do not have to be a dancer to go you can go and join in the fun, or just sit it out and watch.

The masquerade themed ball is the one wear people would wear a masquerade mask. It is an easy one to do as you can buy a mask on Ebay for instance and you just wear it if you wish to do so. They also sell the masks on board the ship as well.

If you dress for the theme balls you wear your attire for the full evening so for instance I would always dress up and go for pre dinner drinks in the Commodore in my outfit.

I then go to dinner in the outfit and on to the ball.

As I do world cruises I have dressed up in sari for Indian themed balls, A kimono in Japan, a Chinese dress in China. I had an Elizabethan dress for the Elizabethan ball and so on. I have since given all away to the ships cruise entertainment staff.

So get a mask and you will be fine for the masquerade ball. It will be a formal night so wear your formal dress plus the mask. I have to say not everyone will join in , but I think it is fun and as long as Cunard do this I like to join in the fun.

Like PepperrN my husband always wears a tie no matter what the dress code is. I always dress in a nice dress, even on non dressy nights as I never ever do casual apart from during the day.

Regarding wine . You can take a bottle on board to drink in your cabin. Have a good cruise and enjoy Cunard. Regards Maggiemou.

Going to the masked ball.

022_zpsca02b7f1.jpg

Edited by maggiemou

Though we are not Avid Fans of those lines, we do know people that sailed on those lines and like Dining At Will......Not Set Time....When they wish..

This I believe does set the tone of the ship for the evenings at Sea.

Yes, you do not really want to go back to the cabin after visiting the islands and get dressed up for dinner. But that is the fun on a Cunard Ship.

We are not avid fans of those lines like I said, but were attracted from the start of cruising to experience the sort of Titanicish style of cruising. That is..eating a set times and attend those events afterwards in the lounges and showplace.

Dressing in the evening as said, really sets the tone of the evening and creates a special experience joining others with the same dress code.

Even if once, trying a Cunard Cruise is an experience to try..

• 1 month later...
You don't need to wear a full length dress. Cunard says:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

So you would be fine in either of those.

Agree, I am only 5' 2" - I do a dressy pants suit all the time on Cunard and other lines, we always dress up, on all the cruise lines.

Love this thread. I will be going on my first Cunard cruise in Jan. World cruise on the QV. Up to now my favorite line has been HAL but after this cruise I just may have to change my mind. Picked Cunard as I love to dress for dinner, so should fit in just fine. I am already counting the days to this new and wonderful time on the QE. If anyone has any hints for me it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Love this thread. I will be going on my first Cunard cruise in Jan. World cruise on the QV. Up to now my favorite line has been HAL but after this cruise I just may have to change my mind. Picked Cunard as I love to dress for dinner, so should fit in just fine. I am already counting the days to this new and wonderful time on the QE. If anyone has any hints for me it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

If you love to dress for dinner you will love Cunard. You cannot over dress. (Although I save the long dresses only for formal nights. Short evening dresses for informal nights except embarkation/disembarkation.) In general, formal nights take place on sea days. How many formal nights should be in you full voyage itinerary as it will depend on how port intensive is each segment.

American lines definitely seem to be more casual overall, but much depends on the caliber of the passengers. I'll never forget the nice Hawaiian couple in the cabin next door on HAL who asked us to show them how to tie the husbands neck tie - as they said they never need to wear wear ties on Hawaii, but they were determined to dress up. They said they would loosen the tie and keep it knotted for future use - I wonder if it still goes on cruises?! :)

I would love to do a Cunard TA but I'm to short to wear full length dresses and dont want to be under-dressed :o

I too Sea Green am vertically challenged (short, 4ft 11") but you certainly do not have to wear long dresses, alot of my cruise formal wear is short cocktail dresses on Cunard.

We remember a situation when a couple from 'over the pond' so to speak (no dis-respect intended) turned up for a formal evening in Shell Suits and were surprised to be turned away from the MDR. Every one/nationality has different ideas of Formal.

Book a Cunard cruise, sure you will love it. Doing our first TA this Dec.

Maggie what do you wear during the day? And will I be overdressed in a maxi dress on informal night?

We have our first Cunard experience on Sunday.

Hi Scriv, I just replied to you on another thread.

I often wear maxi dresses for a lunch time in the MDR or the odd informal night . You will be ok in a maxi on informal night. I have to say I am over the top when dressing at night so I tend more into dressy dresses, but a nice maxi dress is absolutely fine. In fact I have just bought a new one for our up and coming Caribbean cruise and I intend to wear it on an informal night. Hope you have a fabulous cruise and enjoy Cunard.

Have fun x

Thanks Maggie :) Can't wait and so looking forward to dressing up. The maxi dress is black and white and whereas it is not at all glitzy it is quite dressy and striking, so I am going to go for it! Thanks for your help.

Edited by Scriv

I too Sea Green am vertically challenged (short, 4ft 11") but you certainly do not have to wear long dresses, alot of my cruise formal wear is short cocktail dresses on Cunard.

We remember a situation when a couple from 'over the pond' so to speak (no dis-respect intended) turned up for a formal evening in Shell Suits and were surprised to be turned away from the MDR. Every one/nationality has different ideas of Formal.

Book a Cunard cruise, sure you will love it. Doing our first TA this Dec.

Curious..What's a "ShellSuit"?

Curious..What's a "ShellSuit"?

Essentially a track suit, usually gaudily colored, with generally a shiny nylon finish. Great for break-dancing and other street performances - but not much else.

About as appropriate for formal dining as a Teen Age Mutant Turtles costume (sometimes also referred to as a "shell suit").