Hotels and private guides in Reykjavik, Iceland

silkman

We are taking a cruise that begins in Reykjavik. Does anyone have suggestions for a good hotel and private guides. ....also suggestions for private guides in Isafjordur, Torshavn(Faroe Islands),and Oslo would be appreciated.( I am aware that some of the ports can be done "on your own", but I prefer a private guide.

Thanks

Richard

We are taking a cruise that begins in Reykjavik. Does anyone have suggestions for a good hotel and private guides. ....also suggestions for private guides in Isafjordur, Torshavn(Faroe Islands),and Oslo would be appreciated.( I am aware that some of the ports can be done "on your own", but I prefer a private guide.

Thanks

Richard

We have toured twice with David Wellsbury of Iceland Horizons. Very knowledgeable. Suggest the Golden Circle Tour. Can't recommend a hotel as the two we stayed at we would not do again. Both were too far from city center.

Haven't been to the other places you are going.

We will be cruising to Iceland next May. We have booked tours with companies with very good TripAdvisor ratings and CC reviews. In Reykjavik we are using Geoiceland. In Isafjordur we are using Wild Westfjords. With so few private tour companies in Iceland, it is wise to book early.

We met up with one of our tour at the Radisson Blu It seemed nice and in a good location

For our trip we used airbnb and it worked for us Our host had a great collection of the most wonderful Iceland music

We also booked 2 nights at the Blu Lagoon Clinic It was relaxing and awesome with its own private lagoon

Hi

I've been to Iceland, staying in Reykjavik, many times.

As previously mentioned, the Radisson Blu is a good choice. Also, hotel Reykjavik Centrum was good when we stayed and the staff very helpful.

The best way to tour the island and also the cheapest is to rent a car and travel round yourself. Most tour companies offer a GPS included or for a small fee (around £8.00 ours cost on top of a 4x4 which was a very reasonable price). There is one 'main road' around the island and it is very easy to navigate around. The road conditions are good and in the summer it is probably the best way to get around.

The Blue lagoon is generally a 'must see' and you can get a bus there via Reykjavik Excursions and book your package separately on the Blue Lagoon site, but if you are looking for private tour companies there are many on the island, however, many offer different experiences i.e. whale watching, lagoon excursions, ATV touring, and this would depend on the company and what you personally want to see. Down in the old square near the Centrum Hotel is a branch of the Tourist Information who can book you tours from there with many companies, often next day, and there is a lot of literature there available from tour companies.

Grayline/Iceland excursions are a big firm and offer many different types of excursions. Also, if you 'prebook' there is a Golden Circle Tour which can be taken via taxi (there is a flat rate in the back) which takes you around for the whole day.

Enjoy.

There is more than one Radisson Blu in Reykjavik. Might suggest the Radisson Blu 1919. It is right downtown close to the actions. That is the advantage. Disadvantage -- it is very noisy any the partying can be heard if your room faces the street.

Book early as prices go up rather than down as summer approaches. Radisson does give a reasonable senior rate too.

Edited by PaulMCO

Anybody stay at the HIlton?? We have enough points for a free stay but, need to make sure it is OK and the location is good. Trying to locate on the Hilton website and local maps gives several different locations.

Thanks,

Anybody stay at the HIlton?? We have enough points for a free stay but, need to make sure it is OK and the location is good. Trying to locate on the Hilton website and local maps gives several different locations.

Thanks,

We stayed at the Hilton for four nights. Granted it is not downtown, but there is a bus stop across the street and the hotel gives you a free bus pass. The Concierge Level allows you to sit about 9 floors up and has a great view. Additionally the public pool is about two blocks away. It is much cheaper than the "Blue Lagoon" (still a must do), but can satisfy you, until you have a chance at the real think - I think I have a review on "Trip Advisor" see-Postman83.

Thanks for the info Ed, think we will stay there. Mostly good reviews. By the way, grew up in Evanston, ETHS and many years ago as a Boy Scout was an usher as well at Northwestern, think it was Dyche field back then. Paid us $.50 per game to help the real ushers, Pay tells you how long ago.