Why is Celebrity cruises called Celebrity cruises?

Velvetwater

The Greek family Chandris originally owned the cruise line that became Celebrity. That cruise used X because in the Greek alphabet, X stands for CH, the first two letters of the family that owed the cruise line.

When the cruise line name was changed to Celebrity, the distinctive X continued to used for all of her ships.

And this tells me where "X" came from how?

Actually, your explanation may not be far from the truth. The story I heard many years ago from someone was that each guest was treated like a Celebrity.

I seem to recall several years ago a television commercial along those lines. The wife was coming down the grand staircase to applause when she was suddenly jolted into reality by her husband saying something like, "Honey, we'll be late for dinner."

The Greek family Chandris originally owned the cruise line that became Celebrity. That cruise used X because in the Greek alphabet, X stands for CH, the first two letters of the family that owed the cruise line.

When the cruise line name was changed to Celebrity, the distinctive X continued to used for all of her ships.

Thanks, that explains it.

Yes because the meaning of a 'Carnival' fits the product.

I agree. To me the word "Carnival" conjures up the image of a cheap traveling amusement show or circus, run by "carnies' who were generally seedy men one step away from being thrown in jail again. Every year one of these would come around to my home town. The whole thing was designed to separate the customers and their money. With barkers constantly shouting "come on in and see the freaks show", to the midway with those rigged "ring toss" games that were designed to make it nearly impossible to win a cheap stuffed animal, to rides that were one loose bolt away from collapsing.

Yep, the name "Carnival" fits that cruise line quite well. ;)

I agree. To me the word "Carnival" conjures up the image of a cheap traveling amusement show or circus, run by "carnies' who were generally seedy men one step away from being thrown in jail again. Every year one of these would come around to my home town. The whole thing was designed to separate the customers and their money. With barkers constantly shouting "come on in and see the freaks show", to the midway with those rigged "ring toss" games that were designed to make it nearly impossible to win a cheap stuffed animal, to rides that were one loose bolt away from collapsing.

Or Carnival in Rio.

Or Carnival in Venice.

All use the same moniker and none of them fit the cruise line.

And I've never seen a real Princess on a Princess ship' date=' either....[/quote']

Wait, are you pulling my leg??? I take this stuff for face value. Only Norwegians cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines, right? Only Americans with Dutch ancestry take cruises on Holland America, correct? And only people descended from the kings and queens of the Caribbean islands are allowed to cruise on Royal Caribbean, yes?

Are you saying that for all these years I could have cruised on these other lines instead of Celebrity????? :confused:;):D

Edited by SantaFeFan

I enquired about the origins of the name of a cruise line, there is no need for 'lets bash a line I haven't sailed on' comments. I like Carnival's product and price point and I am looking forward to the Celebrity offering also. Nothing like 2 weeks at sea to set me up for a year...thats the way I see it anyway.Thankfully I haven't been to these Carnivals you describe (I guess we do not have them here in the UK unless its a dark comedy show) and have had the luck to see cultural, fun Carnivals in different countries instead.

Not sure I really have a favourite cruise line name to be honest and I do like the names of ships more. I particularly like Celebrity's offering of ship names...particularly Silhouette.

Edited by Velvetwater

I enquired about the origins of the name of a cruise line, there is no need for 'lets bash a line I haven't sailed on' comments. I like Carnival's product and price point and I am looking forward to the Celebrity offering also. Nothing like 2 weeks at sea to set me up for a year...thats the way I see it anyway.Thankfully I haven't been to these Carnivals you describe (I guess we do not have them here in the UK unless its a dark comedy show) and have had the luck to see cultural, fun Carnivals in different countries instead.

Not sure I really have a favourite cruise line name to be honest and I do like the names of ships more. I particularly like Celebrity's offering of ship names...particularly Silhouette.

You are soooo wrong. I did sail with Carnival once. And only once. Just not for me. I bash them from personal experience.

I prefer to spend my money on quality products. That is why I have been on Princess, Disney, Azamara and Celebrity ever since. But not Carnival ever again.

You will be impressed with Celebrity if you are looking for a more upscale experience. If you are looking for a party time, amusement park, local mall experience, you may be disappointed.

.. there is no need for 'lets bash a line I haven't sailed on' comments. .

What bothers me much more than so called "bashing" comments like the one you are accusing that poster of making, are people who are so thin skinned that they can't deal with an opposing view point without getting all offended and defensive. I don't like brussels sprouts, tofu or liver and onions. Does that make me a "basher" of these things because I just told you so? Should I now fear the tofu lovers will accuse me of "bashing" one of their favorite foods?

People have as much of a right to say they don't like a product as you have a right to say you like it. Contrary to what some people appear to think, we are allowed to talk equally about what we do and don't like. And you are allowed to quietly ignore comments you don't agree with (emphasis on "quietly").

Edited by sloopsailor

You are soooo wrong. I did sail with Carnival once. And only once. Just not for me. I bash them from personal experience.

I prefer to spend my money on quality products. That is why I have been on Princess, Disney, Azamara and Celebrity ever since. But not Carnival ever again.

You will be impressed with Celebrity if you are looking for a more upscale experience. If you are looking for a party time, amusement park, local mall experience, you may be disappointed.

We just like a good energy and vibe to where we stay, although as a couple in their twenties it should come as no surprise that we like to let our hair down when we can.For us a ship/holiday is not about an upscale/pamper experience but a culture/fun one and we will choose where we want to go first then look for the best price. Cruising is a recent discovery for us to getting a lot of different sights and experiences in one trip while loving the ocean.

Our upcoming Equinox cruise is actually cheaper than our Carnival Vista cruise next year in the same ocean/same time and has one extra day. We have heard all the Carnival horror stories but never experienced anything like it on board although this may be because we did longer, more unusual cruises with them and being from the UK we don't hear any Carnival bashing in the media at all. Carnival actually has very minimal presence in the UK cruise market.

Edited by Velvetwater

Our upcoming Equinox cruise is actually cheaper than our Carnival Vista cruise next year in the same ocean/same time and has one extra day.

And good for you that you found a "cheaper" cruise. My husband and I take a different approach - we choose our cruises for the experience we desire, not because they are cheaper. That is a big reason why we have narrowed our cruise line choices to only three.

We have heard all the Carnival horror stories but never experienced anything like it on board although this may be because we did longer, more unusual cruises with them and being from the UK we don't hear any Carnival bashing in the media at all. Carnival actually has very minimal presence in the UK cruise market.

We have never been on Carnival ourselves. But we do know two couples, and one single lady in her early 30's, who chose Carnival as their first, and now only, cruise. They came away with zero interest in trying another cruise. No amount of cajoling, pleading and proselytizing from us has been successful in changing their opinions that cruising is overrated. We no longer say anything to them about any cruises we have taken or are planning. We don't want to have to listen to their complaints again.

Edited by PTMary

We just like a good energy and vibe to where we stay, although as a couple in their twenties it should come as no surprise that we like to let our hair down when we can.For us a ship/holiday is not about an upscale/pamper experience but a culture/fun one and we will choose where we want to go first then look for the best price. Cruising is a recent discovery for us to getting a lot of different sights and experiences in one trip while loving the ocean.

Our upcoming Equinox cruise is actually cheaper than our Carnival Vista cruise next year in the same ocean/same time and has one extra day. We have heard all the Carnival horror stories but never experienced anything like it on board although this may be because we did longer, more unusual cruises with them and being from the UK we don't hear any Carnival bashing in the media at all. Carnival actually has very minimal presence in the UK cruise market.

Carnival, Celebrity, NCL are all doing well these days. They all focus on a slightly different demographic. Not a question of which line is better, but rather what lines and ship is the best fit for me. Taste changes as one moves from one demographic to another. For what it's worth, I believe that a twenty something should try whatever ship peaks their interest and make future decisions based on informed information.

Now back to the original question: I don't think that anyone really knows why the company selected the name "Celebrity". We can guess and speculate, but unless someone who was at the table says something, or a Historian has published research on the subject, we really won't know.

Edited by Orator

I appreciate people stay loyal and love certain lines but I cruise for the ports I want and then as I love a bargain I find the best deal. We always manage to find amazing bargains on summer sailings. :). For example, we want to do Asia/Aus cruises in the near future and Carnival's pricings are really unbeatable not to mention another ship may be heading over there in 2017.

I tried to find the advert mentioned here but no luck...might have to buy cruise outfits online instead.

Edited by Velvetwater