Carnival called with offer to extend my cruise....

kim300

Interesting approach and definitely an option for some people. Carnival, feel free to call me to extend our Fantasy cruise later this month! it's been about 9 years since we sailed with Carnival, that would be an awesome welcome back surprise!

The competition for customers is really beginning to heat up. This suggests that occupancy rates are falling and the cruise line is unable to attract any new customers with discounted rates. Therefore, the cruise line is forced to offer discounted rates to current customers on a targeted basis.

This is great news for us who already cruise with Carnival, but not a good business model. No offense, but the segment of current customers who live close to ports and can extend a cruise are probably not going to be spending as much as a new cruiser.

Flame away!

That is an interesting approach. We like to book B2Bs and just returned from 14 nights. We need air so we need to plan in advance. Many people we've met while onboard have never thought of doing a B2B but say they couldn't afford double the cruise cost. But they find the idea appealing because they have to pay expensive airfare like we do.

It could be a win-win for Carnival and their customers if they started offering a decent discount for people booking B2Bs. (There is no discount for booking B2Bs.)

I can't see this as replacing Pack and Go rates; however, I think it is a great marketing tool and a good supplement to that program.

I would think maybe 20-25% of people on any given cruise would be able to do this because of lots of different reasons: limited vacation time, flight arrangements, other commitments, limited funds, etc.

It sounds like the OP got a really good deal, though.

Oh Man! Carnival, call me about September! If my husband won't take a second week off, my mom will cruise with me! I love B2B! what a good idea!

Is this just 7 day cruises or are they doing the short ones too? I would love to be on a 4 day cruise and get to make it 7! :)

I didn't know they did this! I have heard of the upgrade/ upsell fairy, but this was new to me. Carnival just offered my mom and I an outrageous deal to stay onboard and sail on the same ship for another week! It's my first back-to-back cruise and I can't wait! I wish the ports were more exciting, but we could not turn down the price. :D

I think that's a GREAT idea!

I would consider doing it for the first week of our Journey cruise if the price were right. With the hotel costs I have booked for the two nights before the cruise from San Juan, it wouldn't be adding a whole lot more to do the first leg.

My airfare wouldn't be a problem either as I am flying Southwest and there isn't a charge to change flights, so Carnival, what are you waiting for?

Ok carnival! Call me too! I am only doing a five day on Triumph in July! Would love to do the one after it!!! I'm in an accessible cabin though, so probably not much chance. Could always switch to foldable manual wheelchair if needed! I'd love to see more get this offer!