Single or Double Stroller

bigxblue

We are sailing on the Oasis at the end of June with two kids (5 and 2). We are weighing the pros and cons of a single and double stroller. Obviously if we have the double both kids have a place to sit and fall asleep in the evening. I thought maybe we would bring two singles and only bring the second one around when the older one was cranky or it was late. I have visions of pushing around a big empty double stroller as both kids will want to walk everywhere. Thoughts?

A side by side double stroller is probably too wide for the ship corridors.

The Family Board has lots of threads about this. One suggestion is using two umbrella strollers with an attachment piece.

We are sailing on the Oasis at the end of June with two kids (5 and 2). We are weighing the pros and cons of a single and double stroller. Obviously if we have the double both kids have a place to sit and fall asleep in the evening. I thought maybe we would bring two singles and only bring the second one around when the older one was cranky or it was late. I have visions of pushing around a big empty double stroller as both kids will want to walk everywhere. Thoughts?

DO NOT bring a double wide. it will be nothing but a PITA to you and everyone around you. even a 'normal' sized double stroller is unwieldy and more than once we saw parents having issues trying to maneuver it on board and on/off the ship.

umbrellas are the best bet as they are not going o crowd the corridors and public areas.

This^^^^^^^^

The only time my twins were in a stroller at 5 years of age was at Disney because there was so much walking and by day 3 they needed one. I really don't see the need to bring 2. I can't see a 5 year old being comfortable in an umbrella stroller. I would only take one for the 2 year old if I had a 2 and 5 year old. Does your 5 year old use a stroller at home when going to school or the park? If not then just don't bother with bringing one for him on vacation but if the answer is yes then I guess he still needs it so bring it

To be honest I don't think that a stroller is the answer for a tired or cranky five year old when its getting late as you stated in your OP. I think a trip to the cabin for sleep is the answer.

Edited by Karysa

5 is awfully old for a stroller, isn't he in school already?

We've taken a double which was no more cumbersome on the ship than it is anywhere. usually just a single umbrella which works great.

We've taken a double which was no more cumbersome on the ship than it is anywhere. usually just a single umbrella which works great.

Perhaps a good suggestion would be to post this question on the family board and see if others who cruised with a 5 year old thought that a stroller was a useful thing to have on a cruise.

I would agree that it is no more cumbersome on a ship than elsewhere but it is really inconvenient for others due to narrow walkways and aisles. Maybe this 5 y.o. has walking difficulties. I can't imagine a 5 y.o. who would want to be in a stroller.

So what if the OP wants to take two umbrella strollers? I trust that she knows what will work for her and no need to question if the five year old is too old.

Perhaps the child is 4 now during the planning stage. Asking what others who have cruised with 5 year olds makes sense. OP stated she didn't want to drag around an empty stroller so why take it on the first place if others who have "been there and done that" suggest leaving it at home. I hate bringing extra clothes that I don't need never mind a stroller. A simple post over on the family board might help her get some useful information.

How about a 'ride along' platform that fits onto a standard single stroller? I'm sure OP has seen them -- gives the older kid a place to perch while mom does the work. (It's a board about 3-4 inches wide that connects to/near the back wheels -- the kid stands on the board, with his head/shoulders between the handlebars.)

Won't help when he's asleep, but at that point you put the big kid in the stroller and carry the littler one.

Perhaps the child is 4 now during the planning stage. Asking what others who have cruised with 5 year olds makes sense. OP stated she didn't want to drag around an empty stroller so why take it on the first place if others who have "been there and done that" suggest leaving it at home. I hate bringing extra clothes that I don't need never mind a stroller. A simple post over on the family board might help her get some useful information.

Nope, she said she didn't want to drag around a big empty double stroller.;)

Nope, she said she didn't want to drag around a big empty double stroller.;)
:)She also said that she would " only bring the second one ( second stroller ) around when the older one was cranky or it was late". Now that makes me smile. :)I can just picture the looks on their fellow cruisers faces when they strap that cranky 5 year old in an umbrella stroller. So if we are going for what she said word for word I say "YIKES"!:D!!