Carnival Corp. Four New Ships

landnsea

Porthole Cruise Magazine is reporting that Carnival Corporation has ordered four Next-Generation cruise ships that will feature revolutionary Green Cruising.

Each ship will have a capacity of 6,600 guests and exceed 180,000 gross tons.

Two ships will sail under Carnival Cruise Line the other two will go to other not yet announced Carnival Corp. cruise lines.

WOW, 6,600 passengers is just over the top don't know what to think.

John, Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Seahawks

Recently sailed on the Pacific Princess with 600+ passengers, no way I want to sail with 6000 more people. I wish they would build several small ships instead of one large one but I know it will never happen.

It seems big is the future. I don't see Princess building small, they are selling the only 2 they have.

I agree with your opinions about the future and not building small.

They are selling one small ship, that's a fact. Selling the other small ship is just speculation at this point.

That's a wow. I am thinking that HAL is starting to look good, heck the town I live in only has 8,500 people. Let's see, we could get the entire population of Sechelt on 2 of those new builds and still have room for the passengers on the Royal.:rolleyes:

Porthole Cruise Magazine is reporting that Carnival Corporation has ordered four Next-Generation cruise ships that will feature revolutionary Green Cruising.

Two ships will sail under Carnival Cruise Line the other two will go to other not yet announced Carnival Corp. cruise lines.

John, Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Seahawks

The actual article is located HERE

Edited by Thrak

Recently sailed on the Pacific Princess with 600+ passengers, no way I want to sail with 6000 more people. I wish they would build several small ships instead of one large one but I know it will never happen.

Having sailed on the Ocean Princess last summer, I totally agree.

The unfriendliest ship we ever sailed on was the huge NCL Epic 2 summers ago.

Wow. 6,600 passengers. Probably going to be one of those ships with the "shopping mall" feature. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they are like when they are built. As there is no information regarding Princess in connection with these ships it really doesn't concern me. I won't be sailing on a Carnival cruise. Princess has already announce their next new ship and it isn't one of these.

Only choice for the other 2 is HA/Costa/Princess.

According to the announcement:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation-finalizes-contract-with-meyer-werft-to-build-four-next-generation-cruise-ships-300098789.html

two of the ships are going to AIDA which operates under the Costa umbrella. No mention of Carnival Cruise Lines as the OP mentioned. It does mention that the brands for the other two ships has not been determined. I would speculate that the Carnival brand and the Costa brand may wind up with the other two ships. I don't see HAL, Princess or Cunard as a fit for these mega ships. Carnival maybe, if they choose to compete with RCI in the 7 day Caribbean market. I guess we will see.

Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald was just interviewed on Bloomberg TV. He announced that the 4 new builds will be the first cruise ships powered by Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) fuel. This is a huge change and breakthrough for the cruise industry.

All the mainline cruise companies are moving to larger capacity ships. It is the inevitable business model. Smaller ships will make up a special niche market as they are sold off from the mainline cruise lines.

Cruise ships generally have a 30 year life span from introduction. The older Princess ships (less the R-class) came into service around 2000, so they should be around for another 15 years. Although they may be sold off or modified (see Coral & Island) as the business model is modified.

Change in the cruise industry as change in every other business is inevitable. Where is Montgomery Ward today? What is the future of any business that does not adapt?

The article says that AIDA is getting two. I'm sure one will be based in China. I would think that one will go to Carnival.

Wouldn't be surprised to see PO get one.

I'd bet that P&O Australia would be the other one. It'd be nice for them to get a new ship instead of Princess/HAL hand-me-downs... And that market is supposed to be growing too.

I hate it. :cool:

+1 :)

Srpilo

Add me to the list.:D:D

Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald was just interviewed on Bloomberg TV. He announced that the 4 new builds will be the first cruise ships powered by Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) fuel. This is a huge change and breakthrough for the cruise industry.

Perhaps the LNG will solve the soot problem?;)

This idea of bigger is better and more economical is not appealing to myself. I dislike this idea to the upmost possibility.

I do understand it business but on the same hand, do you really think you can get 6000 persons on one ship that sails several times a week for 6 - 9 months? Mathematically it seems to me they would run out of customers and not be able to fill the ship.

To me the ships that would have 2,000 to 3,200 passengers would be much more manageable. Perhaps I'm naïve about this but I agree that going BIG is not necessarily going to go well.

If P&O UK get one there will be uproar from the P&O diehard old f**ts!

You should read the negative comments/reviews Britannia has received (younger sister of Royal & Regal).

Personally, I'm in favour of the big ships. We toured Seabourn Sojourn last year and it's just too tiny for us

I'm all for new innovations, new specialty dining, upgraded cabins but when ships start looking like theme parks then I will probably move on. The thought of a 6000 person ship scares me when having to move that many people in a hurry. 15 year life span left for some of the older ships is fine with me. That is probably about what my life span will be. :)

Edited by waltd

Read again

"The company said two of the ships will be manufactured for AIDA Cruises at Meyer Werft's shipyard in Papenburg, Germany."

John, Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Seahawks

I know what to think...pllfffftttt:(

The estimate for the Asian market alone is in excess of 750,000,000 potential cruisers over the next 5 years.

So - 6600 pax ship x 52 = 350,000 capacity of all new cruisers. There's a 20 year supply for that ship just in 5 years in Asia assuming no repeats.

They will be able to fill the ships.