How do you define a LUXURY CRUISE LINE?

Bimmer09

As part of your research, you should read Berlitz Cruising & Cruise Ships 2015 by Douglas Ward. He rates every cruise line and every ship, and shows exactly what goes into his ratings. You don't have to accept it as Gospel, but he (and his crew) have a great deal of personal experience and a scientific approach. His 5-star ratings put the following as "luxury" cruise lines: Crystal, Hapag-Lloyd (Europa 2 is the top rated of all cruise ships, and all cruises are German-English), Seabourn, SeaDream Yacht Club, & Silversea (Shadow, Spirit & Whisper only).

Sadly, our kitty that traveled (particularly loved Las Vegas) is no longer with us. My "name" is in her memory.

We would not sail on Cunard or any "mainstream" cruise line that has a section of the ship that they call luxury. Once you leave the special area, you are on a too big mainstream ship.

IMO, the best part of a true luxury cruise line is that, once you walk outside of your suite, everyone is treated the same. No one cares if you are in the most expensive or least expensive suite.

Important note: if an aft suite is important to you, the only current Regent choice is the Mariner. Both the Voyager and Navigator have a significant aft vibration. Hope this helps:)

Just curious what prompts your curiosity??

If you look at my signature you'll see a happy Princess Cruiser BUT I am curious to see what I may be missing with other lines who run smaller ships and different itineraries.

Princess=good food. I am not averse to "really good food" (incl cold water lobster and crab), finest produce, smaller galley cooking as opposed to cooking for 3,000 (but they do a very commendable job) We both love to cook and to dine out in Chicago, New York and San Francisco none of which lack for quality restaurants.

Princess=good service but staff stretched to serve so many while trying to include a more personalized touch for easy-going passengers like us.

We usually sail in aft suites on Princess-up to 800 sq ft at our disposal but when we walk out we end up in a crowd...maybe 700 people leaving the theater in the worst case. Jumble sales in the Piazza.

We have sailed one small ship (Ocean Princess) with only 680 pax-it's an R class ship which also finds a home with Oceania and Azamara. That was relaxing.

What we hope to find is a nice change of pace on a smaller ship with impeccable service and food where we can talk to staff without feeling that we are holding them back. We are personable, relaxed people who like quality over quantity and don't mind paying for it.

I don't believe brochures-so I hope to hear from people with experience of luxury lines/premier lines.

I hope this helps!

Norris

I would say that Seabourn ticks all of your boxes, the only doubtful one is the cost of the land based tours. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Beautiful ships.

They are on my radar.

Cheers!

Norris

Further to the above, I didn't cross-post my response on all your other threads because there are some very catty posters whose opinion of their favorite line is way above where Berlitz classes them. Here on the Azamara board we're more into Value than proclaiming our questionable Luxury status. ;)

I imagine having a package might make you drink more freely and I will find out if that is the case when I cruise Celebrity.

Speaking of the difference between luxury and non luxury, Celebrity offers a VERY DOWNMARKET Beverage Package. It is riddled with all manner of limits, stops and stipends which make ordering a cocktail exhausting.

We used to joke that they should give each passenger who bought into it a free bar-side abacus to keep track :rolleyes:

By contrast, the Oceania Prestige Package is virtually run of the house until you start entering the rarefied world of Louis XIII Cognac and single malt scotch.

Better that you post what means the most to you. You will NEVER get the entire package. We have cruised them all but Europa.

Post another with your preferences in order.

We have, as I said cruised them all, and we prefer Oceania, but that is because they satisfy most of our PRIME "wants".

Let's try another post????

We've sailed several of the lines you mentioned. Based on our experiences, my rankings from top to bottom goes as follows:

1) Seabourn: small ships, impeccable service, excellent food, never say "no" attitude. This is our gold standard for true luxury cruising

2) Oceania: small-med ships, outstanding food, excellent service. A great non-inclusive option for those who appreciate great food and are willing to pay for extras that are typically included on luxe lines

3) Azamara: small ships, excellent service, inconsistent food. Price point at full retail approaches that of the true luxe lines. If you can spot a deal, this becomes a viable option

4) Regent: small-med ships, average food, inconsistent service. The most all inclusive and therefore the most expensive cruise line. But all inclusive doesn't equal luxury and Regent hasn't figured that out yet.

Bottom line, you really need to try these lines for yourself to see if they meet your expectations. The definition and perception of luxury will be different for all of us.

I haven't sailed on all the lines you mentioned but have sailed on Crystal, Silverseas, Seabourn, Oceania and Azamara.

My favourite line is still Azamara although I would put it in the 'luxury-lite' category, mainly because of the cabin and bathroom size.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of reaction from your post.

I replied to you on the Azamara forum but I'll repeat here. We've sailed several of the lines you mentioned. Based on our experiences, my rankings from top to bottom goes as follows:

1) Seabourn: small ships, impeccable service, excellent food, never say "no" attitude. This is our gold standard for true luxury cruising

2) Oceania: small-med ships, outstanding food, excellent service. A great non-inclusive option for those who appreciate great food and are willing to pay for extras that are typically included on luxe lines

3) Azamara: small ships, excellent service, inconsistent food. Price point at full retail approaches that of the true luxe lines. If you can spot a deal, this becomes a viable option

4) Regent: small-med ships, average food, inconsistent service. The most all inclusive and therefore the most expensive cruise line. But all inclusive doesn't equal luxury and Regent hasn't figured that out yet.

Bottom line, you really need to try these lines for yourself to see if they meet your expectations. The definition and perception of luxury will be different for all of us.

As part of your research, you should read Berlitz Cruising & Cruise Ships 2015 by Douglas Ward. He rates every cruise line and every ship, and shows exactly what goes into his ratings. You don't have to accept it as Gospel, but he (and his crew) have a great deal of personal experience and a scientific approach. His 5-star ratings put the following as "luxury" cruise lines: Crystal, Hapag-Lloyd (Europa 2 is the top rated of all cruise ships, and all cruises are German-English), Seabourn, SeaDream Yacht Club, & Silversea (Shadow, Spirit & Whisper only).

That's the spot to start.

As a luxury cruiser (Regent and Silversea), I can tell you that Oceania's alcohol package is $60/person/day. If you purchase a martini, without the package, it will likely cost $10 +18% gratuity (and unless you are in a specific bar, the martinis as small). While I enjoyed Oceania very much, there was too much nickel and diming for us!

If you add the daily gratuities, prestige alcohol package and the passport excursion package to O's base price, you pretty much have the same all-inclusive setup as Regent for considerably less money.

O really fits the OP's definition very nicely and I believe it is the "best bang for your buck" cruise line particularly in the area of food quality.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

How do I define a luxury cruise line?

I don't. I don't even try. I just know what I like, I've sailed Oceania (a lot), I've sailed Regent, I've sailed Celebrity, I've sailed NCL. I've sailed American Queen. I've sailed Viking. I've sailed Carnival. I've sailed Costa. I'm booked on Scenic.

My two favorites are miles apart -- Oceania and NCL. I've sailed both in suites, and both in standard cabins, either balcony or ocean view.

Cruising itself, in any category, on any ship from any cruise line, is luxury. All of them clean your room, make your bed, change your sheets, pick up your towels, cook your meals, do your dishes and clean up after you in general. All of them take you places you want to go, and all try their best to entertain you. What more can you ask? The differences are all personal and subjective.

I would say that as an observation, although they are small ships, Oceania and Azamara should be put into a slightly less premium bracket as the other lines you mention.

They are regularly classed as very good, but IMHO do not offer the luxury of the other lines you mention.

I agree with almost all of what you cite as important for a 'luxury' line.

However, IMO more than about 700 passengers is too many.

You need a much higher crew/passenger ratio than you suggest.

All drinks and tips should be included (as they are on most of these lines)

The lines should employ staff you can actually engage with, who have a really good command of English.

On the negative side, excursions are generally overpriced on all lines.

No line, however wonderful, can meet expectations for fantastic food at every meal in every course.

I speak with experience of more than one cruise on each on Seadream, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn and Cunard many years ago. Not any of the others.

From what you say about yourself, I would say Seabourn would be the best 'fit' for you. Only negative for a few people is that they do allow smoking in a few places, more than the others, which is a shame, but certainly not enough to make us leave the line, and not hard to avoid.

I would say that Seabourn ticks all of your boxes, the only doubtful one is the cost of the land based tours. :)

I completely agree with this, for us, Seabourn ticks all of those boxes.

The tours are ok, but I don't whine about them too much because I'm too lazy to bother making my own arrangements most of the time.

I don't really find ships appealing if they have more than about 600 guests. The maximum I've cruised with is 540. Seabourn's new ships will be higher capacity than this, so I'll reserve my judgement until I've cruised one of them at maximum capacity.

My only cruise experience is several each with Silversea and Seabourn. I'm very happy with Seabourn.

We do look at Regent every so often and will possibly give them a try at some point, given the right itinerary. Although their pricing has become insane recently and I'm happier to stick with what I know and love, ie Seabourn, rather than take a chance on another line at those prices.

I'd be very reluctant to go back to Silversea for several reasons.

Crystal? Ships are too large and I don't like their dining policy.

I don't really consider Cunard to be a luxury line, although they offer a luxury category. It's likely that I'll do a QM2 TA one day, Queens Grill level, but not so keen now that the crossing time has been extended.

Edited by Nigella

Thanks for the response.

I am not familiar with the Europa 2. Can you tell me more?

Agreed re the Magrodome over the pool.

Norris

The Europa 2 is a Luxury cruise ship run by the German Cruise Line Hapag/Lloyd. It was given a 5 star plus award by Berlitz in 2015. It is a good sized ship, 43,000 tons with just 500 passengers. Give it a try, very European, German crew with on-board language German/English.

Luxury Cruise Line

Premier Cruise Line

What are your criteria when defining a cruise line as one of the categories above?

What makes a Luxury Cruise Line in particular (regardless of brochure claims)?

A service team that anticipates your needs

A line where your expectations are met at every turn

I

Norris

I am quite happy with a team that asks me what I would like. They don't need to anticipate very whim. My expectations are probably not that high.

In my experience, what takes away from an excellent experience is whining passengers and those can be found more often on the more expensive lines. Must be mainly a luxury issue: I deserve this and that and you make sure that I get it!

You may just have to give it a try and see if it provides a better experience/value ratio. I prefer the smaller groups (450-600) passengers, ships that are large enough to ensure you can find a bit of space on your own, and better than average food and wines. Keep in mind when you look at pricing that much more is included in a cruise line like Seabourn. Tipping, alcohol, etc are all included (except for premium wines) and they also have more liberal policies about bringing your own cellared/collected wines on board. Depending on how much you travel and how you travel you may find more friendly camaraderie on ships like Seabourn. The cruises tend to be longer and people become friends. So, I think it may be more than just about checking boxes. You may discover a different vibe altogether they you enjoy (of that you don't feel is worth it.)

I think if I experienced more "luxury" than Oceania, I would be uncomfortable!

To us, and I speak for no one else, this IS the luxury experience.

We like paying for our alcohol and no one else's, so we do not buy the beverage package. Since you mentioned that your other half likes soft drinks, note that those are included in your fare. That is a convenience and a comfort.

To us, nickel and diming is stuff like the omnipresent photographer, paying extra for specialty dining and such.Don't have that on O.

Included excursions of high quality is not part of O's world. If you don't like the ship excursions, of course you can go with private arrangements as so many do here. We book ship's tours, mostly, and find them anywhere from acceptable to great. But if your definition of luxury depends on this then no, it is not luxury.

I think most folks posting have said it - you have to identify and prioritize what is really important to you, then pick your line based on that and, of course, itinerary. For us, obviously (from my signature) Oceania is pretty much it. We feel no compulsion to try other lines at this stage.

Donna

Depending on how much you travel and how you travel you may find more friendly camaraderie on ships like Seabourn. The cruises tend to be longer and people become friends.

Interesting. I am glad you have found a line and passengers you find compatible. In my limited experience on ~ 10 different lines, three of them luxury-lite, the others mass market, expedition or unique, the more expensive the line, the more demanding the passengers are and they whine when things are not "up to their standards". Mrs. Bucket comes to mind.

Our last Mrs. Bouquet was a Seaborn passenger who told us right away when we introduced ourselves that this ship was not up to her standards. (About 45 minutes after boarding). Bad first impression in both directions. :eek:

Thanks for the Douglas Ward recommendation re the Berlitz guide.

I imagine that the staff get alerted to the fact that he is on board( hey guys smile! Offer him a refill !) but I'll download it and see for myself.

Jazzbeau I understand your reluctance to broadcast your answer to the other boards. I imagine I will meet some catty zealots along the way.

Thank you both.

Norris