How do you define a LUXURY CRUISE LINE?

Bimmer09

Interesting. I am glad you have found a line and passengers you find compatible. In my limited experience on ~ 10 different lines, three of them luxury-lite, the others mass market, expedition or unique, the more expensive the line, the more demanding the passengers are and they whine when things are not "up to their standards". Mrs. Bucket comes to mind.

Our last Mrs. Bouquet was a Seaborn passenger who told us right away when we introduced ourselves that this ship was not up to her standards. (About 45 minutes after boarding). Bad first impression in both directions. :eek:

I think you can meet people on any cruise who just prefer the cruise line they are used too. I have met a few on my cruises who prefer Oceania and took delight in telling my why Oceania was better. Also some who prefer Silversea. That's alright we are all allowed our preference and opinions. I just avoid the complainers from then on as I am there to have a good time. :cool:

I think it is dependent on the person whether they are going to whine and complain. As you are right there are some on Seabourn who will whine but I honestly think no more then you will find on other cruise lines.

What I consider luxury is the wonderful crew and how they try to make sure you are having a good time. All inclusive dining, alcohol and gratuities. Lovely spacious staterooms even at entry level. No inside cabins. A good space per passenger ratio as well as crew per passenger ratio. Also I find the passengers for the most part very interesting to talk too which adds to a great holiday.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

We've sailed several of the lines you mentioned. Based on our experiences, my rankings from top to bottom goes as follows:

1) Seabourn: small ships, impeccable service, excellent food, never say "no" attitude. This is our gold standard for true luxury cruising

2) Oceania: small-med ships, outstanding food, excellent service. A great non-inclusive option for those who appreciate great food and are willing to pay for extras that are typically included on luxe lines

3) Azamara: small ships, excellent service, inconsistent food. Price point at full retail approaches that of the true luxe lines. If you can spot a deal, this becomes a viable option

4) Regent: small-med ships, average food, inconsistent service. The most all inclusive and therefore the most expensive cruise line. But all inclusive doesn't equal luxury and Regent hasn't figured that out yet.

Bottom line, you really need to try these lines for yourself to see if they meet your expectations. The definition and perception of luxury will be different for all of us.

Thank you, these thumbnail sketches are helpful.

Seabourn-never say no attitude. That's what I like to hear. I am not a demanding unreasonable cruiser so I am not looking for a foot massage while I am eating dinner or to steer the ship into port but if I get to a bar 15 minutes before closing and am told I can't have a drink because "we are packing away the drinks" that's a no-no. The answer should be "why certainly sir-perhaps a foot massage also?"

(this happened on my last Princess cruise)

Regent-average food...hmmm. Inconsistent service isn't acceptable and points to poor training and supervision. You're only as good as your crew and they're only as good as you make them through coaching and observation.

All inclusive isn't a strong selling point for me whether it be drinks, specialty restaurants or shore excursions. I don't mind paying as I go on drinks and basically just drink wine at dinner choosing from a long list and the thought of a waiter asking red or white? before he pours is a baffler to me. I drink beer by the pool. No cocktails.

I always take shore excursions but usually from a list of a dozen or more via the ship and have bought some ashore too so I like that flexibility .

Oceania and Azamara are looking better for a step up from Princess but inconsistent food (Azamara) is another head-scratcher. I realize food is subjective though.

I will sign up for offers from Seabourn as I did for Oceania.

Thanks for your helpful response!

Norris

What an interesting thread! When I first read Norris' post, my thought was it was an easy answer. Then, I tried to define it in my mind and I really can't do it. I don't like formality and would probably not enjoy Crystal (and some of the other "luxury" lines) as a result. I'm not a big drinker so free-flowing alcohol is not import to me. I love Oceania for the food, ambiance, service, no formal nights, beautiful cabins/bathrooms, and size of ships. Most of all, though, I love Oceania for the wonderful people I've met and made friends with. Now that's luxury!

I've followed Norris' very entertaining posts on the Princess forums so I really hope he decides to try Oceania just so I can see what he thinks and live vicariously through him.

I haven't sailed on all the lines you mentioned but have sailed on Crystal, Silverseas, Seabourn, Oceania and Azamara.

My favourite line is still Azamara although I would put it in the 'luxury-lite' category, mainly because of the cabin and bathroom size.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of reaction from your post.

Thanks Gilly-you have certainly had experience of quite a few lines!

Azamara is the only one of the lines I listed where I am familiar with the ship's structure as I have sailed on one of the two Princess R class ships albeit in an aft suite which was the biggest suite yet experienced.

When I awoke in Sorrento Bay last September and looked out I saw this...

15662149032_09380b5314_c.jpg

The Journey had been at anchor overnight and that made me jealous!

I forsee an overnight or two in my future...

I had a great cruise and loved the small ship however the staff was more "Laurel and Hardy" than my usual Princess experience on ships holding 3,000 people.

Norris

Sadly, our kitty that traveled (particularly loved Las Vegas) is no longer with us. My "name" is in her memory.

We would not sail on Cunard or any "mainstream" cruise line that has a section of the ship that they call luxury. Once you leave the special area, you are on a too big mainstream ship.

IMO, the best part of a true luxury cruise line is that, once you walk outside of your suite, everyone is treated the same. No one cares if you are in the most expensive or least expensive suite.

Important note: if an aft suite is important to you, the only current Regent choice is the Mariner. Both the Voyager and Navigator have a significant aft vibration. Hope this helps:)

I agree with the red highlighted part 100%. The "luxury" feel has to extend through the whole ship. MSC and NCL have similar "exclusive areas".

Cats unfortunately have a short life span ( I have had 3 pass away within the last 10 years) Gone but never forgotten.

Thanks for responding again.

Norris

For me, Exceptional food, upscale amenities and particularly towels and bed linen are important. Service should be flawless.

Cleanliness to me is critical. I can't stand stained carpet, worn towels, beds made so sheets don't come undone ever. We sailed Celebrity on the then brand new Millennium and there was Mildew in the shower - on a brand new ship! In a suite. No thank you. And the passenger before us put lemon on the marble bar top ruining the finish. Those are little things but impacted how I felt about the line. (and some other passengers who were pretty crude - but that is another topic)

Small things important. I think Oceania gives you a choice - via their concierge program. You can pick the level of service and amenities. It's not luxe to me to sit in a terminal waiting to board. I can pay for what I want if it's important to me.

understated design of the ship...it looks like a ship not coney island and vegas

No Kids

Size under 1000 passengers

No Kids

Low key, understated warm service... there when you need but not hovering or upstairs-downstairs

No kids

Quality meals in a variety of venues all inclusive

No Kids

Fare that pretty much is everything up front inclusive... no nickel dime

No kids

Quality fellow passengers,well mannered,traveled and spoken

No kids

Relaxed casual dress atmosphere rather than 8 for 8:30 bespoke dress.

and of course No Kids

• Haha 1

Since the thread with my reply on the "other" board got deep-sixed... I'll repost it here...

As I have stated many times, I believe the stratification and segmentation of upper level lines are just oh-so-much marketing BS.

A Luxury Cruise Line is one that delivers an adult vacation experience with class and dignity, one that exceeds your normal real life experience. One that delivers excellence at all levels and provides delight in every aspect of your trip, without logistical stress.

Where any line fits on some sliding scale is secondary..and may just make fun conversation. :p

Thanks for the Douglas Ward recommendation re the Berlitz guide.

I imagine that the staff get alerted to the fact that he is on board( hey guys smile! Offer him a refill !) but I'll download it and see for myself.

Jazzbeau I understand your reluctance to broadcast your answer to the other boards. I imagine I will meet some catty zealots along the way.

Thank you both.

Norris

Actually Douglas Ward was on the cruise I was on. Many times I saw him sitting in a restaurant, bar, pool deck or show I was also in. He seemed to be eating, getting the same attention I was.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

What an interesting thread! When I first read Norris' post, my thought was it was an easy answer. Then, I tried to define it in my mind and I really can't do it. I don't like formality and would probably not enjoy Crystal (and some of the other "luxury" lines) as a result. I'm not a big drinker so free-flowing alcohol is not import to me. I love Oceania for the food, ambiance, service, no formal nights, beautiful cabins/bathrooms, and size of ships. Most of all, though, I love Oceania for the wonderful people I've met and made friends with. Now that's luxury!

I've followed Norris' very entertaining posts on the Princess forums so I really hope he decides to try Oceania just so I can see what he thinks and live vicariously through him.

Crystal no longer (for some years now) has any formal nights -- there are one or two evenings called "Black Tie Optional" but fewer and fewer bother to bring a tux any more. So there's no need for you to adhere to a formal dress code -- unless you don't like to view others who choose to [i consider it part of the entertainment ;)]. As to the "fixed dining" issue -- we had no problem with dining by reservation, as they are very flexible about making and changing reservations and it seems to help eliminate the lines that develop in other anytime venues. The most important thing about Crystal is how good the food is in every venue.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Folks have made comments about liking 600 or less sized ships. Crystal can hold 900+ passengers, but rarely sail at capacity. Crystal has very good solo passenger rates. Nice atmosphere.

We have sailed on the R sized ships and were not happy with the layout for ships that were sailing at capacity. (Oceania & Princess)

I think if I experienced more "luxury" than Oceania, I would be uncomfortable!

To us, and I speak for no one else, this IS the luxury experience.

We like paying for our alcohol and no one else's, so we do not buy the beverage package. Since you mentioned that your other half likes soft drinks, note that those are included in your fare. That is a convenience and a comfort.

To us, nickel and diming is stuff like the omnipresent photographer, paying extra for specialty dining and such.Don't have that on O.

Included excursions of high quality is not part of O's world. If you don't like the ship excursions, of course you can go with private arrangements as so many do here. We book ship's tours, mostly, and find them anywhere from acceptable to great. But if your definition of luxury depends on this then no, it is not luxury.

I think most folks posting have said it - you have to identify and prioritize what is really important to you, then pick your line based on that and, of course, itinerary. For us, obviously (from my signature) Oceania is pretty much it. We feel no compulsion to try other lines at this stage.

Donna

Donna thank you.

Another strong endorsement for O and I highlighted in red a part that would appeal to me.

Thanks to everyone for their responses to date. You were generous with your time and I much appreciate it.

I think in my quest to find a line to give me an improved experience over Princess I will look at Azamara first as they offer small ships and overnights in port and have some 7 -8 day cruises (10 days would be stretching it as neither of us is retired) and also include Oceania in the mix. These may not be thought of as luxury but like Toranut they might be a good fit. If not then on to Seabourn!

Again thanks to all who have responded with their opinions and insights.

Norris

Donna thank you.

Another strong endorsement for O and I highlighted in red a part that would appeal to me.

Thanks to everyone for their responses to date. You were generous with your time and I much appreciate it.

I think in my quest to find a line to give me an improved experience over Princess I will look at Azamara first as they offer small ships and overnights in port and have some 7 -8 day cruises (10 days would be stretching it as neither of us is retired) and also include Oceania in the mix. These may not be thought of as luxury but like Toranut they might be a good fit. If not then on to Seabourn!

Again thanks to all who have responded with their opinions and insights.

Norris

Norris, I am glad if my observations helped. I did misspeak in one phrase: I should have said, we don't like paying for the alcohol consumption of others, so we do not book cruises that include alcohol. The drinks package clearly pays only for the booze consumed by the individual purchaser, which is fair. Sorry if that is misleading!

Good wishes in your cruising, hope to see you on O someday!

Donna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem with someone preferring Seabourn (which we haven't traveled, and that's why I don't have a problem) ... anyone is free to prefer one line over another for whatever reason.

But I still don't get why people object to handing over a card when they order a drink. I guess that's because it does not bother me! Obviously, there are people out there (lots of them) who object ... But I don't get it. To me it's such a little thing. Again, I do get that it IS a bigger thing to people who are used to inclusive liquor (or liquor packages).

Even on O, I'm not going to buy a liquor package ... it isn't cost effective for us, so we don't do it.

Mura

As it happens, Jim and I just now are in the midst of determining our response to this question which, admittedly, is subjective. Yet I expect some criteria hold across the board for many (about which, more later).

In January we cruised together for the first time aboard Regent's Navigator. Come November we are cruising the Amazon aboard Silversea Whisper and in March we are on Seabourn Odyssey LA to FLL via the Panama Canal. Then, next June, we again are on Seabourn (Quest) for Norwegian fjords. Also, next month we fly to France for two weeks including a "cruise" aboard Belmont's Amaryllis barge in Burgundy (St. Leger to Dijon) for its annual Semaine des Grand Crus.

Our Regent cruise was okay and we loved our very large, multi-room suite (a true suite, that is). Navigator is overdue for a make-over and food was acceptable. I don't advise room-service breakfast, stellar it's not. But, it's difficult to get Jim presentable before he eats.

As for those criteria which form the basic foundation of luxury:

-- high space to passenger ratio

-- high crew/staff to passenger ratio

-- ease of embarkation / disembarkation

-- impeccable and impeccably maintained ship and furnishings

-- exceptional service, can-do attitude

-- included drinks or drinks option

-- lectures and talks

-- good food often in comfortable venues

-- kindly staff in the restaurants, no attitude!

-- wine lists showing included and extra pay choices

-- cocktail list

-- resort casual or casual elegant if needs must

-- perfection in housekeeping

-- expert and willing assistance in arranging custom excursions

-- passenger population, I'm unsure what is the perfect number but probably not much over 800 nor much less than 350. A ship ought to have sufficient heft to brave the wide seas. I am willing to consider upscale offerings of some lines on larger ships. No problem here with paying more for better environs, access and service.

-- comfortable, graceful furniture, no wrestling with same (yes, aware of the issues but there such a thing as fine design)

-- high-quality linens

-- many shaded, sheltered, comfortable outdoor venues with persistent service

-- high-end toiletries

-- little extras everywhere, whenever, e.g., flowers and potted plants, chocolates, mints and candies, poetry, fruit refreshed OFTEN, cards and postcards, hand-written notes of appreciation, GOOD COFFEE in many venues

My personal luxury preferences:

-- classical music in most venues

-- lebensraum

-- as little Las Vegas glitz as possible

-- at the same time, please no reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous painters, looking at you, Regent

-- lots of flowers, refresh as needed

-- afternoon tea sans trivia

As we complete each of the booked voyages, I'll check back here with a précis of our experience.

There will be Mrs Bouquet's on every ship -- people who whine about the experience. I run into them everywhere, politely meet them then avoid them the rest of the time. The trick is to find the people with whom you can share a drink and a conversation.

Another disquisition on the topic of "luxury" cruises:

There is so much marketing BS associated with the notion. The marketing positioning attempts to define what is luxury. Yet, once on board, much of that marketing dissolves into disappointment. Give me the real thing, please; not a lot of hot air.

I think it's a good list and Azamara meets it. We think Azamara is a luxury line rather than a premium line.

You can also consider a Hyatt a luxury hotel (it may be to you) but that does make it one. Ask Azamara and they will tell you themselves that they are not a luxury line, good as it is. And it is very good.

Good heavens- I didn't mean to wear you out! A stiff cocktail might be in order-put it on my tab.

A great generous response from which I have pulled a few paragraphs...

the remark about Cunard...why wouldn't you cruise with them?

Sea Dream- big drawback for me there is the lack of balconies

Regent-spacious suites sounds good and you seem to lean toward them in many regards. I have berthed behind the Navigator in Alaska and thought her handsome. Does she have aft suites? We like to live aft (no wind, wake view)

Thanks for the feedback!

Norris

2 cats but neither of them travel

The outdoor spaces on Sea Dream are so nice that you don't miss the balconies. We have often been on Sea Dream where there are more crew than passengers, and you will never find that on any of the other lines.

Edited by zqvol

Recently on Azamara for a 2014/2015 Christmas/New Years cruise (Rio New Year's Eve fireworks were a bucket list type experience). Booked a Club Continent Suite, because we wanted a tub, happily that category entitles you to eat in the two specialty restaurants, Prime C and Aqualina, gratis--- fabulous food, but MDR was quite good too. LOVED the food, ship, the crew, the ports and most fellow pax (we had a Mrs. Bouquet, too-- who doesn't?).

Then in May 2015 we were on Seabourn, Adriatic Sea cruise. Also very splendid. Fantastic service and crew. GREAT band, people actually loosened up and danced! Exquisite food. We love Seabourn, too!

At the end of the day, we will never go on a large ship again (Less than 1000 pax, tops). Also we don't ever want to go back to not all-inclusive for drinks-- we were perfectly happy with the free wines and beers on offer (and cocktails-- although we don't drink many mixed drinks) and appreciated not having to sign a slip of paper for every beverage. Although both Azamara and Seabourn "include" tips, we always tip our room steward or stewardess and also tip memorable, helpful servers. And we like eating when and with whomever we want. I always wonder a bit about people who say they don't want to pay an all inclusive fare for drinks ($3 a pop for a simple Coke can add up fast, as can just a few beers) because they don't drink. Well, the food is included and I'm a light eater, so I could say I'm paying extra for the people that gorge themselves at the buffet, right? ;) I wouldn't want actual excursions included (usually arrange our own), but shuttles into town are nice and appreciated.

Besides Azamara and Seabourn, our two favorites, we've cruised on Crystal, Silverseas, RCCL, Holland America, Windstar and Princess) As to the Diamond Princess, we got like a 7 page printout at the end of the cruise for every Coke, sparkling water, beer, glass of wine, etc., which has led to my view on included beverages and also to my view on preferring smaller ships. Big ships are impersonal and it takes too long to get from Point A to Point B. ( Ex. "I forgot my sweater... be back in half an hour")

My two cents! Enjoy cruising, everyone