How do you define a LUXURY CRUISE LINE?

Bimmer09

Look, I think I was clear that I was addressing included ALCOHOL. O already includes all soft drinks, juices, etc, so you don't sign chits or get a printout of every coke you consume. No giant printout of included stuff. Period.

We do drink alcoholic beverages but don't want to overindulge- nor do we wish to help foot the bill for others' consumption at any level. Thus we do not want to pay for all inclusive booze.

I think it is nice that folks can get a drinks package if they want. Fine for them.

Agreed on the small ship thing. Frankly, I don't buy the comparison between food and liquor. Everyone eats - eventually. Your fare includes food of a certain caliber, and we do all pay for that. Of course.

Have a nice time on Seabourn or

whatever. I guess we won't see you on O!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Toranut97

Thanks for the response.

I am not familiar with the Europa 2. Can you tell me more?

Agreed re the Magrodome over the pool.

Norris

There is a long - running separate thread on the luxury cruising forum about Hapag Lloyd Europa 2 which includes links to you tube videos showing how stunning the ship looks and how spacious the suites are, and it has excellent food and service reviews. English Voyager member has posted many links. member Machotspur posted menus and wine lists. You can also google to its website or to youtube video reviews, the ship is truly beautiful and spacious, We are booked on the Capetown-Capetown this xmas, paying in Euro to lower cost.However, it does allow smoking on balconies and in parts of a few outdoor public areas, which some people do not want anymore than they want it on Seaborn and consider that a non-starter.

Look, I think I was clear that I was addressing included ALCOHOL. O already includes all soft drinks, juices, etc, so you don't sign chits or get a printout of every coke you consume. No giant printout of included stuff. Period.

We do drink alcoholic beverages but don't want to overindulge- nor do we wish to help foot the bill for others' consumption at any level. Thus we do not want to pay for all inclusive booze.

I think it is nice that folks can get a drinks package if they want. Fine for them.

Agreed on the small ship thing. Frankly, I don't buy the comparison between food and liquor. Everyone eats - eventually. Your fare includes food of a certain caliber, and we do all pay for that. Of course.

Have a nice time on Seabourn or

whatever. I guess we won't see you on O!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sound a bit miffed. We've never sailed Oceania, so I wasn't dissing it in anyway. I'm sure it's great, and am glad you have found your "cruising home" there. All I said was that we liked Azamara and Seabourn for the reasons I stated. I wasn't referring to your post on included drinks (which I scrolled back to now to even find) -- OP had said he wanted to switch from Princess (which at least when my husband, daughter and I were on it, DID charge for every last Coke, sparkling water, etc., so that was my point) As was having a couple of glasses of wine included with dinner, and not having to sign for those either, or my husband's occasional beers by the pool deck. Which is to say, our checkout "print out" consisted of two shore excursions and that was it-- we liked that. I somewhat understand your point about included liquor, but then again you lost me a bit on the food-- I've seen one person eat 4 times as much as I did at a meal. I think things are priced to even out, and for us, we've found we don't like signing chits for drinks (alcoholic or not). This enables us to get up from a table whenever we want, without having to wait for and sign the drinks bill. We don't drink that much, so we're probably "subsidizing" heavier drinkers, but we don't care. We like the convenience and this post was about what defines a luxury cruise and to us, one benchmark is not having to wait for and sign drink bills. Or for that matter, having to wait very long for anything-- from tenders, to elevators, etc. Happy cruising!

Another disquisition on the topic of "luxury" cruises:

There is so much marketing BS associated with the notion. The marketing positioning attempts to define what is luxury. Yet, once on board, much of that marketing dissolves into disappointment. Give me the real thing, please; not a lot of hot air.

The brochures are very enticing indeed but I must admit to never having a luxury line brochure in my hands (but I surf websites). Like all advertising they have to sell a dream and you're unlikely to come upon complete honesty as a result- "enjoy a leisurely dinner as a result of our staff cuts to offset our cost of furnishing the fluffy robes" or "learn a new language as you converse with our deck crew" etc.

"Disappointment" is the one thing I seek to avoid and everyone who has responded has helped in that. You actually took the plunge and booked your first luxury cruise. Expectations were, or were not, met.

No lines, no crowds, attentive but not stuffy service ( I am not a member of the Royal Family) carefully prepared food, a quieter ship with considerate people, a crew that has time to stop and chat, a pool without people doing cannonballs or yelling "Yee-haw!", interesting itineraries with perhaps an overnight in a safe and welcoming port...these are some of my criteria.

I'll get experience of a butler and included drinks when I sail Celebrity Silhouette in January. Their slogan is "modern luxury" but it's an 1100 foot ship of 122,000 tonnes and almost 3,000 passengers so I don't look upon it as a luxury line-despite the bandying of the words in the brochure.

Norris

I doubt if most of us will agree on what luxury is. IMO, Oceania is as close to being luxury as a cruise line can get without actually being luxury (according to their CEO, they are upper premium). Their smaller ships are the same as Azamara ships which, IMO, have staterooms that are rather small and bathrooms that are miniscule. This does not say luxury to me. On the other hand, their newer ships, the Riviera and Marina are gorgeous...... still some tiny staterooms but their suites are amazing - the food in their specialty restaurants is TDF (to die for) and the service is excellent.

For people that feel that they are paying for other passenger's alcohol consumption when they sail on a luxury cruise line, it is difficult for me to see it that way when some "premium" cruises are the same price as "luxury" cruises (in some cases).

IMO, very high or unachievable expectations generally leads to disappointment. Plus, what is very important to some is not to others. For instance, flowers....... Regent used to have elaborate flower arrangements but also had many complaints about people allergic to these arrangements and they were affected by it in public places. In terms of music, there is a time and place for all types of music. I would find any one type rather boring.

In terms of signing for drinks, etc. To us it is a pleasure to be in a lounge with a group of people that you may have just met, have drinks (alcoholic or not) and not think about "buying a round" for the group. When I am on Oceania I find myself wondering when I should put my "card" on the table (we purchase the premium alcohol package) and hope they run the card before we want to leave for dinner. On inclusive cruise lines this is not something you even think about.

While I could make a lot of positive comments about luxury cruise lines, here are a few of my pet peeves about each one:

1. Regent - included excursions!. While some people sail Regent just to have "free" excursions, the experience is far from luxury.

2. Seabourn - Smoking on balconies and shared public areas with smoking wafting to the non-smoking area.

3. Crystal - Set seating. While some regulars find it easy to get a reservation to dine when they would like to, many CC'ers report how difficult these reservations can be to get.

4. Silversea -- Too formal. Plus, while they continue to purchase older ships and refurbish them, some areas of their existing ships are in disrepair.

5. Oceania (not luxury but we have sailed on this line) -- People in upper suites are treated differently than in lower suites. They have special areas where the rest of the passengers are not permitted. On luxury cruise lines, this type of "classism" does not exist.

By reading Cruise Critic and thoroughly reading the cruise ship websites you can pretty much tell what to expect. Luxury cruising is not like sailing on a private yacht nor is it like staying in the best hotel with a dedicated butler. Regent, Silversea and Oceania exceed our expectations in many ways but they are not perfect.

Edited by Travelcat2

As we are still learning what it is to truly be spoiled on a Luxury Cruise ~

Seabourn ,Carnival, Costa, Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, Aida, Cunard & Princess are all under the same Corporation as is Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, and CDF Croisières de France ~ They all have incentives to get one to book with them .

However being we still travel with kids ~ We haven't fully grasped the Luxury of being on SEABOURN ~ or Celebrity Cruises !

We do however usually book a Suite ! Which has allowed us access to behind the scene event's / private event's as well as concierge an other perks not available with a regular cabin .

{ Was also wondering if the luxury you receive on these exceptional luxury cruises depends on the category of cabin your in ? } Just asking !

Booze Cruises are just that ~ read a post earlier in this thread where someone mentioned paying for spirit's on board the ship as well as soft drinks !

We have not needed a drink package on the last few cruises we have been on , because of the perks that come with the category of cabin we where in !

All in all it seems like we have always talked about an agreed on !

Any cruise or vacation for that matter is what you make of it ~ :)

Have A Nice Day !

J.L. & Bree

As we are still learning what it is to truly be spoiled on a Luxury Cruise ~

Seabourn ,Carnival, Costa, Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, Aida, Cunard & Princess are all under the same Corporation as is Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, and CDF Croisières de France ~ They all have incentives to get one to book with them .

However being we still travel with kids ~ We haven't fully grasped the Luxury of being on SEABOURN ~ or Celebrity Cruises !

We do however usually book a Suite ! Which has allowed us access to behind the scene event's / private event's as well as concierge an other perks not available with a regular cabin .

{ Was also wondering if the luxury you receive on these exceptional luxury cruises depends on the category of cabin your in ? } Just asking !

Booze Cruises are just that ~ read a post earlier in this thread where someone mentioned paying for spirit's on board the ship as well as soft drinks !

We have not needed a drink package on the last few cruises we have been on , because of the perks that come with the category of cabin we where in !

All in all it seems like we have always talked about an agreed on !

Any cruise or vacation for that matter is what you make of it ~ :)

Have A Nice Day !

J.L. & Bree

I'm a bit confused by your post. I understand (I think) that you are interested in learning more about luxury cruising. Firstly, luxury cruise lines (generally defined as being Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea are not child friendly. However, during the summer and some school breaks, there are special programs for children. The rest of the time there are few, if any children. Unfortunately, when people take their children out of school for a luxury cruise, two things tend to happen: 1) There is no one for the children to play with and 2) Some people that cruise luxury lines when school is in session, do so with the expectation that there will be no children. When they see children, they are obviously unhappy.

The four major luxury cruise lines do not charge for alcohol (except ultra premium) or non-alcoholic beverages. Premium plus (Oceania) cruise lines include non-alcoholic beverages but not alcoholic. Celebrity is not considered a luxury cruise line.

I am not familiar with people on luxury cruise lines having "behind the scenes" or private events that are available to only some guests. The best thing (IMO) about luxury cruising is that everyone is treated the same once they step foot outside their suite. There is no "class" system (unlike most of the cruise lines that you listed). Yes - when you pay more $$$, you get a larger suite and a butler, but there is nothing that a person in the top suite can get on the ship that a person booking the least expensive suite can get.

Now let me address luxury cruise lines that are owned by large companies (i.e. Seabourn owned by Carnival and Regent owned by NCHL (Norwegian Cruise Holdings). The luxury cruise lines have different rules and policies than the premium and mainstream cruise lines. Azamara is not a luxury cruise line but is a premium cruise line (owned by Royal Caribbean). Azamara is a completely different product than Royal Caribbean.

"Booze Cruise"????? Not sure what that is. Kinda sounds like a Carnival cruise where a lot of young people are getting drunk. Luxury cruise lines are all-inclusive but cater to a much older demographic. It is rare to see anyone drunk on a luxury cruise. On luxury cruise lines, you also can order alcohol for your suite. Many of us do not take advantage of that since we prefer to imbibe in a lounge.

I applaud you for doing research on the different type of cruise lines. Since you mentioned that you still sail with children, your best bet would still be suites on mainstream cruise lines (unless you sail during the summer). Hope this information is helpful.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm a bit confused by your post. I understand (I think) that you are interested in learning more about luxury cruising. Firstly, luxury cruise lines (generally defined as being Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea are not child friendly. However, during the summer and some school breaks, there are special programs for children. The rest of the time there are few, if any children. Unfortunately, when people take their children out of school for a luxury cruise, two things tend to happen: 1) There is no one for the children to play with and 2) Some people that cruise luxury lines when school is in session, do so with the expectation that there will be no children. When they see children, they are obviously unhappy.

The four major luxury cruise lines do not charge for alcohol (except ultra premium) or non-alcoholic beverages. Premium plus (Oceania) cruise lines include non-alcoholic beverages but not alcoholic. Celebrity is not considered a luxury cruise line.

I am not familiar with people on luxury cruise lines having "behind the scenes" or private events that are available to only some guests. The best thing (IMO) about luxury cruising is that everyone is treated the same once they step foot outside their suite. There is no "class" system (unlike most of the cruise lines that you listed). Yes - when you pay more $$$, you get a larger suite and a butler, but there is nothing that a person in the top suite can get on the ship that a person booking the least expensive suite can get.

Now let me address luxury cruise lines that are owned by large companies (i.e. Seabourn owned by Carnival and Regent owned by NCHL (Norwegian Cruise Holdings). The luxury cruise lines have different rules and policies than the premium and mainstream cruise lines. Azamara is not a luxury cruise line but is a premium cruise line (owned by Royal Caribbean). Azamara is a completely different product than Royal Caribbean.

"Booze Cruise"????? Not sure what that is. Kinda sounds like a Carnival cruise where a lot of young people are getting drunk. Luxury cruise lines are all-inclusive but cater to a much older demographic. It is rare to see anyone drunk on a luxury cruise. On luxury cruise lines, you also can order alcohol for your suite. Many of us do not take advantage of that since we prefer to imbibe in a lounge.

I applaud you for doing research on the different type of cruise lines. Since you mentioned that you still sail with children, your best bet would still be suites on mainstream cruise lines (unless you sail during the summer). Hope this information is helpful.

~ Thank You ~

Yes we are still learning / We have 3 daughters whom have traveled with us over the years / however we are now down to only one still living under our roof ;) ~ The other 2 have grown up an moved out ~ LOL ~ we still love to Cruise with our youngest daughter thou !

And yes we are trying to learn as much as possible about { True Luxury cruising } :D

Because it really isn't a matter of if / as much as when !

When we do book our Adult Only { Luxury Cruise } it will be a new experience as well as a new adventure into Luxury Cruising :D

Thanks Again & Have A Nice Day !

J.L. & Bree

Interesting topic that Bimmer09 has presented; something that I have read with interest; I am wondering if you could still feel comfortable on a smaller ship if a vacation to you is not a whole lot of interaction and just sitting on your balcony and letting the world go by; and do you feel compelled you have to dress a certain way on these ships? The Oceania and Azamara itineraries really interest me but I somehow feel intimidated by their label of "premium" ships

Interesting topic that Bimmer09 has presented; something that I have read with interest; I am wondering if you could still feel comfortable on a smaller ship if a vacation to you is not a whole lot of interaction and just sitting on your balcony and letting the world go by; and do you feel compelled you have to dress a certain way on these ships? The Oceania and Azamara itineraries really interest me but I somehow feel intimidated by their label of "premium" ships

Gee, it sounds like we regulars are threatening and intimidating! You shouldn't think so. First of all, no, you don't really have to dress in a certain way. Sure, at dinner times many people dress "nicely", but never formally. Country club casual DOES mean casual! And if you want to sit on your balcony and watch the world go by, feel free to do so. That's what we often do on sea days.

Oceania and Azamara may be "premium" but they aren't luxury, and you aren't judged by the average passenger.

Please don't feel you should stay away if you are interested in the itineraries. Most of us are very friendly and welcoming! At least that has been MY experience.

Mura

Gee, it sounds like we regulars are threatening and intimidating! You shouldn't think so. First of all, no, you don't really have to dress in a certain way. Sure, at dinner times many people dress "nicely", but never formally. Country club casual DOES mean casual! And if you want to sit on your balcony and watch the world go by, feel free to do so. That's what we often do on sea days.

Oceania and Azamara may be "premium" but they aren't luxury, and you aren't judged by the average passenger.

Please don't feel you should stay away if you are interested in the itineraries. Most of us are very friendly and welcoming! At least that has been MY experience.

Mura

Maura is right. The only thing that makes them Premium is service and food.

People tend to be friendly, well educated and very well traveled.

I haven't been on either Oceania or Azamara (both premium) but have been on Regent (luxury) 3 times. The first time we tried Regent I was worried about what people would be wearing and if they would be snobby. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The passengers we met were all really nice and dressed quite casually. I love to spend time on my balcony and let the world go by and love Regent for the large cabin size and fewer passengers.

Have a great time whatever you choose.

When we do book our Adult Only { Luxury Cruise } it will be a new experience as well as a new adventure into Luxury Cruising :D

Just so you are not disappointed when searching for the perfect cruise

There are NO Adult only luxury cruises

Sometimes you will get lucky & have no children & sometimes they may be a few

But having said that many of them are well behaved & there will not be hundreds of them on the upscale lines ;)

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Just so you are not disappointed when searching for the perfect cruise

There are NO Adult only luxury cruises

Sometimes you will get lucky & have no children & sometimes they may be a few

But having said that many of them are well behaved & there will not be hundreds of them on the upscale lines ;)

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Thank's You ~ That's our plan !

We actually are leaving in another 61 Day's an counting on the RCCL Adventure of the Sea's ( Owners Suite 1320 ) with a new group of friend's as well as people we have cruised with before !

Have A Nice Day !

J.L. & Bree

+1 - the last poster hit the nail on the head. Azamara and Oceania are not luxury - however they are very good cruise lines. Europa 2 is getting a lot of "talk" on Cruise Critic, however, it is still a German cruise line which is trying very hard to enter the U.S. market. Until and unless English becomes their first language, we are unlikely to give them a try. Additionally, they are very family friendly (i.e. children ........ IMO - this does not work on a luxury cruise line except during school breaks and summer).

We would try Seabourn if there was not smoking on the balconies that waft onto the balconies next to them. If Crystal builds a new ship, it could be an option. For now, we do not want small suites and set seating. This leaves two luxury cruise lines - Silversea and Regent. Silversea is a bit too formal for us but they do a very good job. Regent is very similar to Silversea but with a slightly less formal atmosphere. IMO, there is no perfect luxury cruise line but most would be better than Princess, HAL and Celebrity.

Have you made any decisions yet?:)

I'm interested in booking Europa and rather cotton to the notion that it's not American centric. The trick for us is finding a compelling itinerary.

We booked Europa 2 Capetown-Capetown this coming Xmas because I was so anxious to get on that beautiful and casually elegant style ship, based on what I read and all the videos I watched, I did not want to wait for a "compelling" itinerary! :) If it goes well, as I will also be on Seabourn for comparison soon (and have done SS and Regent), I will have a better idea what my "luxury line of choice" will be for the next few years.

I have been away from the boards for a while and have been catching up.

Although I started the thread for my own benefit and education it has now helped me in advising others-I have been in San Francisco attending a wedding of two friends and the subject of a honeymoon came up. They know us to be recently avid cruisers and they are thinking of a cruise to Alaska.

She has never cruised before. He has cruised once, to the Mediterranean on a Silversea ship over 10 years ago (he didn't catch the bug apparently nor the name of the ship). They both want to avoid crowds so I am helping them with research on ships holding up to 700 passengers. One drinks while the other survives on iced tea. They would have to be suite passengers as he doesn't feel comfortable in confined spaces.

They like quiet relaxation and good food. He said he spent much of his time on Silversea relaxing on his balcony between ports and using room service a lot.

This thread will help me find a good fit for them.

So thanks to all for contributing to the debate!

Norris

+1 - "Europa 2 is getting a lot of "talk" on Cruise Critic, Until and unless English becomes their first language, we are unlikely to give them a try."

What a parochial attitude!

Sorry, as someone whose first two languages were not English, and who has a multi-ethnic background, ( my mom was fluent in six languages, my father five) I do not think it is fair to describe someone who prefers the first language of a ship be English, when her main language is apparently also English, as "parochial". People all over the world ( not just Americans and Brits) not uncommonly gravitate to preferring to spend time with other people (ship pax and fellow travelers in other settings) who understand their native language completely, with all the nuances, odd expressions, and slang, not just basic communication. French people typically prefer to sit with other French people, and Germans with Germans, even if they can speak university-level proper English if they try, as most affluent luxury travelers from Europe do.

Europa II has crew that speak both fluent German and fluent English, at least to the level of being able to communicate well with pax, but most pax are still primarily German-speaking, some speak no English, and I imagine topics of conversation at dinner might stray to German politics, German entertainers ( some on board) and other uniquely German issues that may be boring to listen to if a person is not German, even if discussed in English.The modern Germans themselves, polite people that they are, may also feel inhibited and constrained if they have to practice their business travel English with American tourists at the table, instead of being able to talk more freely and more colorfully in German without fear of offending or leaving out the English-speakers. And don't get me started on the preferences of Russians and Japanese!

Of course, one can and should have conversations with others from around the world as best possible, nothing precludes that, ( or requires it) and travel generally encourages it, as does multilingualism. But note that if enough English-speakers book Europa2, they can form their own cliques at tables, just like Germans and Japanese did on the last SS cruise I was on, comfortably prattling away in their native languages, insulated from the dominant groups of English-speakers.

I am pretty sure that TC2 is anything but " parochial" given how well-traveled she is, but she has a preference to be on a primary English ship, as do many. It is simply an understandable preference. She also does not like balcony smoking ( I do not care) or facilities for kids ( I care, if the kids are not well-behaved), also preferences. It is wonderful to have so many choices!

Sorry, as someone whose first two languages were not English, and who has a multi-ethnic background, ( my mom was fluent in six languages, my father five) I do not think it is fair to describe someone who prefers the first language of a ship be English, when her main language is apparently also English, as "parochial". People all over the world ( not just Americans and Brits) not uncommonly gravitate to preferring to spend time with other people (ship pax and fellow travelers in other settings) who understand their native language completely, with all the nuances, odd expressions, and slang, not just basic communication. French people typically prefer to sit with other French people, and Germans with Germans, even if they can speak university-level proper English if they try, as most affluent luxury travelers from Europe do.

Europa II has crew that speak both fluent German and fluent English, at least to the level of being able to communicate well with pax, but most pax are still primarily German-speaking, some speak no English, and I imagine topics of conversation at dinner might stray to German politics, German entertainers ( some on board) and other uniquely German issues that may be boring to listen to if a person is not German, even if discussed in English.The modern Germans themselves, polite people that they are, may also feel inhibited and constrained if they have to practice their business travel English with American tourists at the table, instead of being able to talk more freely and more colorfully in German without fear of offending or leaving out the English-speakers. And don't get me started on the preferences of Russians and Japanese!

Of course, one can and should have conversations with others from around the world as best possible, nothing precludes that, ( or requires it) and travel generally encourages it, as does multilingualism. But note that if enough English-speakers book Europa2, they can form their own cliques at tables, just like Germans and Japanese did on the last SS cruise I was on, comfortably prattling away in their native languages, insulated from the dominant groups of English-speakers.

I am pretty sure that TC2 is anything but " parochial" given how well-traveled she is, but she has a preference to be on a primary English ship, as do many. It is simply an understandable preference. She also does not like balcony smoking ( I do not care) or facilities for kids ( I care, if the kids are not well-behaved), also preferences. It is wonderful to have so many choices!

With regard to the Europa 2, even with a full complement of passengers, the likelihood of English speaking passengers finding themselves placed for dinner at a table with German speaking guests is, to say the least, highly unlikely.

The following statistics speak for themselves.

Total Number of passengers: 516.

Capacity of Restaurants:

Weltmeere: 266

Yacht Club: 276

Tarragon: 44

Serenissima: 56

Elements: 48

Sakura: 58

On my cruise, even as a solo passenger, a table for two was always on offer to me.

Edited by English Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruise addicts. Been on Seabourn, Paul Gauguin and Azamara. Going on Oceania Riviera in a few weeks. I have to say, I already feel nickeled and dimed on O. I'm laid back to a fault so that is saying a lot. Drinks, specialty coffees, specialty restaurants are extra, unless in a suite, which we fortunately are, shore excursions are crazy expensive.

Seabourn is near perfect. Azamara is my favorite though. GREAT workout facility and equipment in addition to fantastic entertainment. Seabourn is owned by Carnival cruise lines and Azamara by Royal Caribbean international. These companies know what works and they know the difference between mass market and upscale because they created mass market cruising.

We stay in suites on almost all cruises so staterooms are nothing less than spectacular. Seabourn entry suites are long and narrow though, can be claustrophobic as you only have a foot or so to walk past the bed to the balcony area.

RCI excels in entertainment. We've been on a zillion cruises with the kiddies and seeing a broadway production of Mama Mia or Saturday Night Fever is a bonus. This flows to Azamara's entertainment. It is really good. Seabourn not so much.

All Food on Seabourn is spectacular as are specialty restaurants on Azamara. Azamara main dining room is lacking big time, the grill is pretty good for breakfast and lunch.

Paul Gaugin is like a small Seabourn in the South Pacific. Wonderful except, we stayed in a suite and our bathroom was exactly the same size as the smallest stateroom. The ship is old enough that even renovations cannot give it true luxury.

Just my two cents, hope this helps. Honestly though, when you sail away from port, watching land disappear, any cruise is a luxury!!!

I'm not sure you will enjoy Oceania based on what you wrote here but I'm wondering where you get that specialty restaurants are extra? Because they aren't. Not unless you are talking about La Reserve, and that is more a special meal than a specialty restaurant. Or if you reserve Privee, but since they give you food from Polo or Toscana then just go to the restaurants themselves and dinner won't cost you anything.

Yes, alcoholic drinks are not included but I personally don't consider that nickel and diming. It lets me pay for the drinks I want and not someone else's drinks. Soft drinks and water are no charge. I've never tried any specialty coffees so you might be right about that.

Agreed, entertainment is not O's strong suit and tours are overpriced. The only line we have been on that has included tours is Viking and while they've been okay, they haven't been spectacular. I'm happy to do my own research and book something for a small group.

You should be very happy on Riviera if you are in a suite in terms of your accommodations, especially if you are in an OS, VS or OC. We recently sailed in a PH on Oceania and it was very comfortable but not as deluxe as the top three categories.

Just my reactions to your comments. I hope you have a great time.

Mura

Going on Oceania Riviera in a few weeks. I have to say, I already feel nickeled and dimed on O. I'm laid back to a fault so that is saying a lot. Drinks, specialty coffees, specialty restaurants are extra, unless in a suite, which we fortunately are, shore excursions are crazy expensive.

Not sure where you are getting your info

Any alcoholic drinks are extra but you can always take a bottle for use in your cabin

Only specialty restaurant that has a fee is the wine pairing meal in La Reserve you do not have to go there if you feel nickel & dimed to death

Coffee is free except if you put alcohol in it then you pay extra

I agree on the shorex a lot of O cruise DIY

If you are in a top suite (OS, OC, VS) you get 6 bottles of wine or spirits of your choice from a list

You can always buy the Beverage package if you drink a lot or prefer not to sign for drinks

Yes it is not the same as Azamara with the free alcohol

Try to enjoy your cruise anyway ;)