Slow Princess mail service

Kinkacruiser

While on board I asked the purser to mail a few postcards to my friends and family in Australia. At the time I thought this was a very convenient. Alas, it took almost 4 weeks for the postcard to travel from Ketchikan, Alaska to Sydney, Australia.

Is this slow transit fairly standard? (Parcels from the US usually reach us in 7- 10 days)

While on board I asked the purser to mail a few postcards to my friends and family in Australia. At the time I thought this was a very convenient. Alas, it took almost 4 weeks for the postcard to travel from Ketchikan, Alaska to Sydney, Australia.

Is this slow transit fairly standard? (Parcels from the US usually reach us in 7- 10 days)

Sorry to say that is pretty much standard for cruise mail.

My last correspondence took almost 6 weeks to reach its destination.

Mike:)

Sometimes they never make it at all. :(

Sadly, that's been our experience. After 2 or 3 tries we gave up. DH usually sends pictures he's taken with emails and skips postcards.

Even when you could send Princess email postcards from the computers in the future cruise area, no one ever got them.

On a Princess cruise from French Polynesia to Hawaii we stopped in Kiribati at about the half-way mark near the equator. We thought it would be fun to mail some postcards from the island. It wasn't from the ship but from the island's official post office. None of the postcards ever arrived!!

Why not just mail it yourself when in port rather than having the Purser do it? Most likely the mail would have gone out faster.

That is exactly what I do. Years ago, when mailing a card or letter onboard, you would often get a cool "posted at sea aboard the Pacific Princess" or the like stamped on the piece being mailed, but I haven't seen that in a long time. I just use a local PO or sidewalk mail box in port.

I will agree that the post cards we mailed never arrived. Can't say if it was Princess or the country it was mailed from but none the less we stopped mailing them.

When I was on the Pacific Princess last year and we were off Pitcairn and the islanders came on board, I sent a postcard to myself, paying to have a stamp showing the Pacific Princess used. It took two months, but the postmark was the date of our call. But then, that's about how long you'd expect it to take!

I have given up on the post office all together. I pay bills on line and correspond electronically as well. I'm alway able to find a free hot spot to send pictures or post on Facebook. I can't remember the last time I purchased a stamp. At this point I don't even know how much a stamp costs.