Dress Code for Colonnade and Patio Grill At Dinner

Shawski

Just one more comment on this...if the dress code on Seabourn (other than formal night) is elegant casual, then it is contradictory to indicate that men should be wearing a dress shirt. A dress shirt might be elegant but in no way is it casual. It is a shirt you wear with a business suit ( I would not bring my business suit to wear on "elegant casual" nights). So the dress close is actually quite confusing which might be causing men to dress differently than what might be expected. Seabourn can't just say " wear a shirt with a collar" because that would include polo shirts which many disapprove of as evening attire. Therefore we have the current conundrum!

Personally I know how to dress for elegant casual, so not a problem for me. Apparently others err more on the casual side of the dress code than the elegant.

Edited by Sunprince

As the OP, I was hoping not to start another long thread on the dress code issue. I’ve already read through too many posts on that subject on this forum and others. I had assumed that polo shirts were not appropriate in the evening, but I just wanted to make sure. My DH very much dislikes wearing a “dress shirt”. Too many years in Florida have resulted in him not wanting to wear much more than a pair of shorts and a polo shirt. So, I thought that maybe, in the Colonnade or Patio Grill, a nice polo shirt and pair of slacks would be OK.

I hope I did not offend anyone with my question. We have always dressed in accordance with the dress code of whatever ship we happened to be on, and will certainly continue to do so on Seabourn. And, as someone posted earlier in the thread, dress shirts weigh a lot less than polo shirts!

By the way, Sunprince, I agree with you that a dress shirt does not fit the definition of “casual”, even if preceded by “elegant”. But, I guess that’s neither here nor there in the realm of cruise ship dress codes.

OK do no kill the messenger.On our last cruise Monte Carlo to Rome 11 days only 3 weeks ago.Bathing suits were seen t the Patio Restaurant and jeans most definitely were in he Colonnade most nights.I asked about it and was told we cannot deny anyone in any dining venue.This was our 10th cruise and the most relaxed about the dress code.I have to say that 85% of he passengers were not happy with the relaxed dress code.

As the OP, I was hoping not to start another long thread on the dress code issue. I’ve already read through too many posts on that subject on this forum and others. I had assumed that polo shirts were not appropriate in the evening, but I just wanted to make sure. My DH very much dislikes wearing a “dress shirt”. Too many years in Florida have resulted in him not wanting to wear much more than a pair of shorts and a polo shirt. So, I thought that maybe, in the Colonnade or Patio Grill, a nice polo shirt and pair of slacks would be OK.

I hope I did not offend anyone with my question. We have always dressed in accordance with the dress code of whatever ship we happened to be on, and will certainly continue to do so on Seabourn. And, as someone posted earlier in the thread, dress shirts weigh a lot less than polo shirts!

By the way, Sunprince, I agree with you that a dress shirt does not fit the definition of “casual”, even if preceded by “elegant”. But, I guess that’s neither here nor there in the realm of cruise ship dress codes.

Would your husband be comfortable in a Guayabera shirt? It is a collared button down and looks nice. I know they are popular in many Florida cities. I think it would be a nice compromise with a pair of pants suitable for the Colonnade and especially the Patio Grill

Well said, I couldn't agree more, polo shirts are so bulky and HEAVY. In fact I was going to say twice as heavy, so I weighed 3 of my Polo's and 3 of my collared dress shirts, the POLO SHIRTS WEIGHED 4 TIMES MORE than the collared dress shirts !!

Plus Polo shirts do not look good over anything but a flat stomach (a beer gut we call them in Oz) where a collared shirt can disguise a stomach to a certain extent.

Same with the weight of jeans, much heavier than cotton slacks that are much more comfortable. You don't see many European men wearing jeans (or shorts either) Try and blend in with the locals instead of looking like a tourist.:)

Good enough reason alone not to bring them as I'm the one who carries the suitcases. :)

OK do no kill the messenger.On our last cruise Monte Carlo to Rome 11 days only 3 weeks ago.Bathing suits were seen t the Patio Restaurant and jeans most definitely were in he Colonnade most nights.I asked about it and was told we cannot deny anyone in any dining venue.This was our 10th cruise and the most relaxed about the dress code.I have to say that 85% of he passengers were not happy with the relaxed dress code.

It's okay Capri73 your safe and I am glad you posted.

Sorry for the rant but I am with the 85% of passengers not happy. I know people will say it shouldn't affect my meal but I just think it is annoying to see people who know the "no bathing suit at the table" and "no jeans after 6pm" and think this doesn't apply to them as they are so "special".

The only time to me you can get away with jeans at dinner is some of the black or coloured ones where you are wearing a top that hides the normal jeans waistline. I know this is only my opinion and you have a right to disagree. I don't think it matters how much the denim jeans cost. I am of course comparing them to well cut long pants not $2 ones as some like to imply the rest of us wear who don't wear jeans at dinner.

I was fine with more jacket optional evenings but why do some people always want to push it further. Their argument is always I paid for my holiday so I should be able to do what I want. There are other cruise lines such as Sea Dream or Oceania or Regent which have the more casual dress code. Even Crystal is an option as they have quite a few Casual nights on port intensive cruises. I also paid to sail on Seabourn with a certain well documented dress code. I hope Seabourn and Silversea can be different and be a place where people who like to be more elegant casual or even formal most nights can cruise.

OP I am sorry we are high jacking your thread. My husband likes to wear a jacket but he also likes to wear polo shirts as well as normal shirts. He has been known to wear a polo shirt at the patio grill with a jacket on elegant casual nights and without on casual. He is also enjoying some of the newer styles of shirts with fine patterns and also some colour.......he likes to try the "Italian Style" :D.

Julie

Frantic36,

I am with you on the subject of following the dress code. Who needs a dumbed down cruise line, at these prices and with Seabourn's traditions. And Regent people can do what they like there and that includes dressing like they're headed for the beach, a drive-in or the local ice cream takeout for all I care.

And I have an admission to make! I thought the confusion about what's suitable for Patio and Colonnade dinner dining was related to fussy and hyperactive children. Having read all the threads, I now see I was mistaken.

Happy cruising!

I think the majority of us from cruisng with SB regularly can now deduce that a collared dress shirt, which is required as part of the minimum evening dress code is certainly not a polo shirt, which is day wear.

As for the confusion of OP, as it does not state in the dress code for any evening attire that a polo shirt is acceptable, I would not wear it.

Totally agree with Frantic, that there seems to be a bunch of folks that think the rules dont apply to them. Well they do, and the majority of individuals on board when people have been playing these childish games have been commented upon negatively. It is just ignorant and rude towards others, and certainly fits in with the me me me attitude to life that so many appear to take up!

Exactly what they said at Downton Abbey when men had the audacity to go from white tie and tails to a tuxedo at dinner!!!

They actually went from Evening Dress (what you term white tie and tails) to a Dinner Jacket, as became more customary after being made acceptable by the Prince of Wales after the turn of the century.

In the UK "tuxedo" - an American term originally invented by mavericks at Tuxedo Park, an upstate country club in New York who chose not to dress formally at formal functions - still generally refers specifically to a white Dinner Jacket.

As stated in the Gentleman's Guide to Evening Wear: "And if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, a white jacket should never be worn in the city 'unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips' as Esquire once put it."

Years ago Seabourn's brochures showed couples in tuxedos and long gowns. Try and find that in today's brochures. Times have changed!

Thanks Shakespeare......we're referring to the folks that don't come close to dressing like anything you see in the brochures. Perhaps SB should include more realistic looking people wearing proper clothing in their advertising.

Seabourn is smart enough to show well dressed and smart people in their brochures to inspire those looking for a first class cruise to book. Not sure how that would work though with photos of what you may call "realistic people" (whatever that means) if they wear tee shirts, singlets, sweat suits and anything in lycra.

About "proper clothing", I am open to tuxedos and long gowns. Maybe to help clarify matters, Seabourn could dress their brochure models in clothing representing the dress code descriptors and locate them in the Observation Bar in the morning, at tea service, at cocktail hour and after dinner. Same with the MDR, the Colonnade, the Patio Bar/dining area and captain's/club parties in the Grand Salon. With sufficient text to help the unfamiliar - and especially the flip flop demographic- understand what the dress code means.

Education is always worth the spend, don't you agree?

Happy sailing!

About "proper clothing", I am open to tuxedos and long gowns. Maybe to help clarify matters, Seabourn could dress their brochure models in clothing representing the dress code descriptors and locate them in the Observation Bar in the morning, at tea service, at cocktail hour and after dinner. Same with the MDR, the Colonnade, the Patio Bar/dining area and captain's/club parties in the Grand Salon. With sufficient text to help the unfamiliar - and especially the flip flop demographic- understand what the dress code means.

Education is always worth the spend, don't you agree?

Happy sailing!

What a great idea, it certainly would help those who have difficulty understanding the concept.

I am also an advocate of the Seabourn IQ test!

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

I totally agree with everything Julie wrote. We have selected Seabourn over the last 14 years in part because we liked dining in a venue that required dressing up. Sadly we have seen the dress code significantly watered down over the years. And just as with speed limits on highways where whatever you raise the limit to most people will go 10 miles over the posted limit, each time the dress code was relaxed, rather than dress to that level, many took it as authorization to dress down even more so. On my recent April cruise,, the first where gentlemen were no longer required to wear jackets , on the non formal optional night I was amazed to see how many men entered the Restaurant without socks, and in some cases with flip flops. As the dress code does not address footwear they were technically within their right but ..... There will always be those who no matter what the dress code will feel entitled to push the envelope.

Tv24, if we are on the same cruise can I join you in the "shunned corner"

Suggest we get there early as other residents of the 21st century may wish to join us

Thanks for this entertaining repartee... We are preparing for our first SB cruise and with 7 days pre and 5 days post, worry about packing appropriate gear when it will be 90 degrees plus in most places we are touring. Worst case we enjoy some room service or join the shunned corner.

Thanks for this entertaining repartee... We are preparing for our first SB cruise and with 7 days pre and 5 days post, worry about packing appropriate gear when it will be 90 degrees plus in most places we are touring. Worst case we enjoy some room service or join the shunned corner.

Maybe you should have tried a different line if you arent happy to abide by the dress code, as obviously it will not be 90 degrees in the airconditioning!

I find it really sad that people have to try to rage against the machine so much. Maybe its because they would not get noticed by any other means.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

I just happened on this thread about dress code which has been discussed on other luxury cruise lines adnaseum. We started sailing Crystal 25 years ago on the Harmony which was the only ship at that time and it was very formal with three formal nights on a twelve day cruise.

Over time within the last five years Crystal realized that many high net worth younger professionals would not sail them because of the stringent formal dress code nor would they sail Seabourn for the very same reason.

When Crystal relaxed the dress code the Ms. Boguet's were aghast. Crystal only has two dress codes Formal optional and country club casual. After sailing with Crystal with 26 under our belt we are now seeing a younger clientele including the world cruise.

As for Polo shirts with a collar they are allowed in the MDR and other venues with dockers or black dress jeans with a jacket as well as dockers and capris for the ladies. The ladies are not wearing the long gowns and high heels. We no longer see that in our country club that we belong nor do we see this dress in our best resturants in Palm Beach where the patrons are millionaires and billionaires.

Even with the a little more relaxed dress code on Crystal we see nicely dressed people but not too formal at all. If you want a strict formal cruise may I suggest you charter or buy your on yacht and you can dictate your own dress code for your guests.

Edited by Suite Travels

Maybe you should have tried a different line if you arent happy to abide by the dress code, as obviously it will not be 90 degrees in the airconditioning!

I find it really sad that people have to try to rage against the machine so much. Maybe its because they would not get noticed by any other means.

Perhaps I spend more time outside when touring than you do but will manage to find a way to pack appropriately for all venues.

To your comment about raging against the machine -- i hope we continue to do so as it's the only way to bring about positive change in this world and if you consider a polo shirt at dinner a version of that, I've got nothing more to say.

Purely personal opinion - I think a nice looking not too garish polo shirt with respectable trousers (pants) should be fine for the casual looking Colonnade or Patio Grill in the evening, but as the MDR is a rather coolly elegant room the least casual top for a man should be a woven fabric shirt, not necessarily a 'business' one, which IMO do not look good without a tie, and definitely with a tailored jacket on the evenings when one is required. I mentioned earlier that I remember one line issuing photos of appropriate dress for men in their brochure. No doubt some would still get away with murder, as I have noticed staff bending the rules, probably mainly so there is no big argument which embarrasses other passengers.

Of course, some men look gorgeous in very casual clothes, others always look unkempt however hard their spouses may try! Twas ever thus.

Does anyone know when the patio grill and external part of the colonnade were air conditioned?

Rachel, I am sure you will NOT be shunned on any luxury line. Don't make yourself crazy over it and just ignore the stiff people who do not move forward in the 21st century. Your money is as good if not better. I think you will be just fine. Just enjoy YOUR cruse.

Does anyone know when the patio grill and external part of the colonnade were air conditioned?

When did the conversation change to become about the external parts of the restaurants?

However, a polo shirt is certainly not as cool as a cotton/linen shirt which is appropriate for this venue and inoffensive to others.

Rachel, I am sure you will NOT be shunned on any luxury line. Don't make yourself crazy over it and just ignore the stiff people who do not move forward in the 21st century. Your money is as good if not better. I think you will be just fine. Just enjoy YOUR cruse.

Yes, because it is impossible to be young, fashionable and still abide by the dress code to show a little graciousness towards others isn't it!!

When did the conversation change to become about the external parts of the restaurants?

However, a polo shirt is certainly not as cool as a cotton/linen shirt which is appropriate for this venue and inoffensive to others.

Ralph Lauren has various fabrics that are Polo style and many are light weight and expensive and with different styles.

Have a look at GQ magazine or Vanity Fair to see current fashions for men and women which feature top designers on casual and formal wear.

Yes, because it is impossible to be young, fashionable and still abide by the dress code to show a little graciousness towards others isn't it!!

Your statement is so crazy and I really don't know how to answer you.

I am still in my 50's and dress very well maybe not meeting your expectation. When I was child my grandmother required coat and tie for dinner at her house and jeans were never allowed or shorts not even during the day? Over the years she relaxed her stiff upper lip but I still miss her.

Really, so your comment that anyone who abides by the dress code is not of the 21st century is'nt ridiculous!

I personally believe that if there is a dress code one should follow it, otherwise what is the point in having one?

We clearly do not agree, but i can assure you that My position in probably the worlds most famous designer online fashion purveyor makes me fully aware of todays, tomorrows and even this time next years fashions. Thanks for your advice anyway!!!:D