Princess screwed our Med Cruise

ucalegend

Bdjam honestly I really think you are a 'Monty Python 'fan,you certainly know how to turn people (Start an Argument)....I am hoping your typing with a 'Nudge,Nudge,Wink' attitude. :D
When did this go from a bad Grand Princess experience to a jump all over me topic? I really try my best to post from fact, objectivity and logic. I’ll admit I get side tracked at times, but it’s usually because I’m fending off those who for some reason out of the blue feel they need to get all over me. Sorry I support Princess – I think they are a good company with sound principles and a fairly good business model. I think there are areas where they can improve and I’ve been honest about them. Sorry I’m an informed cruiser who knows what to expect and what the cruise lines are willing to do for me when things don’t go exactly right. Sorry that I don't bash Princess every time an issue comes up and at the same time continue to buy cruises from them. Am I trying to start an argument – not a disrespectful one, which this has become. Am I trying to counter and debate what I think is not fact – yes. Sorry for that too. I'm sorry that I'm not nudging or winking at anyone.

I'm out.

When did this go from a bad Grand Princess experience to a jump all over me topic? I really try my best to post from fact, objectivity and logic. I’ll admit I get side tracked at times, but it’s usually because I’m fending off those who for some reason out of the blue feel they need to get all over me. Sorry I support Princess – I think they are a good company with sound principles and a fairly good business model. I think there are areas where they can improve and I’ve been honest about them. Sorry I’m an informed cruiser who knows what to expect and what the cruise lines are willing to do for me when things don’t go exactly right. Sorry that I don't bash Princess every time an issue comes up and at the same time continue to buy cruises from them. Am I trying to start an argument – not a disrespectful one, which this has become. Am I trying to counter and debate what I think is not fact – yes. Sorry for that too. I'm sorry that I'm not nudging or winking at anyone.

I'm out.

Brian,

I hope you get this message. I always enjoy reading your reviews and hearing your perspective. Just wanted you to know that you have my support!! :D

Still wish we had met on the Hawaii cruise!!

Jamie

What's the difference in Merry Old England, between whining and whinging? It's come up several times, both on this thread and Oceania's. Kkruisey, as an honorable member of the Empire can you help on this? BTW, remember when John Cleese opens his purse and hawks a big loogey in there? A great TV moment.

What's the difference in Merry Old England, between whining and whinging? It's come up several times, both on this thread and Oceania's. kruisey, as an honorable member of the Empire can you help on this? BTW, remember when John Cleese opens his purse and hawks a big loogey in there? A great TV moment.

What's the difference in Merry Old England, between whining and whinging? It's come up several times, both on this thread and Oceania's. kruisey, as an honorable member of the Empire can you help on this? BTW, remember when John Cleese opens his purse and hawks a big loogey in there? A great TV moment.

Whining is done by your pet dog..........so could it be that the pet whines in empathy with its owner that is Whinging :D

I've yet to sail on Princess -- will do so in December over the holidays (DW, 2 boys 9 & 12, and I). I must admit I'm getting a bit nervous that I've made the wrong choice given what I've been reading lately not only on this thread but many others -- food quality in DR, Horizon Ct nightmare, service quality, surly staff, cutbacks, etc. Many of these complaints are far more prevalent than many of the boosters would like to admit. Often, I see a complaint coupled with 'but given the price/still a good value...'. Given what we're paying for a minisuite on this holiday cruise, I don't know if I'll be able to say that.

You will find the same remarks and complaints on all the other cruise lines threads. You will always find those that find fault in little things and those that defend the cruise line to the end. Take them all with a grain of salt.

As far as public relations - $400 in on board credits certainly provide public relations that being given no credit wouldn’t have.

I would be absolutely thrilled with a $400 onboard credit. In most cases, that would wipe out my onboard charges for the cruise ... or at least set them back to a very modest amount!

Blue skies ...

--rita

The original posters expectations are highly unreasonable and past the initial complaints about the ports, which of course is due the passengers NOT READING their contracts and NOT doing RESEARCH (that this type of thing could and does happen).

The other complaints I disregard totally, as I'm sure that they are trumped up due to the change in itinerary. I mean, the pursers staff had to deal with 'riots'! ??

Yet, I'm also hopeful as I see a group of people here who are rabidly loyal to Princess -- you'd never see this type of apologizing/defending for a land-based business/service/corporation -- they must be doing something right to keep you all on their side. I hope the 4 of us will be singing Pricess' praises along with you after our cruise.

Any service business is going to get complaints. It goes with the territory. Most people I know respond as best they can to complaints - if they hear them. I also know that you can get much more being fair and firm, without resorting to calling names.

I remember a long time ago reading reviews of a certain ship and thinking that I had made a mistake in booking that ship. As it turned out, we missed a port and had bad weather, but saw no evidence of the things people were complaining about.

Kruisey - "Confuse-a-Cat" was broadcast, I think during Monty Python's last season on air. I know I've seen it on the tube. Albatross! Albatross!

Any service business is going to get complaints. It goes with the territory. Most people I know respond as best they can to complaints - if they hear them. I also know that you can get much more being fair and firm' date=' without resorting to calling names.

I remember a long time ago reading reviews of a certain ship and thinking that I had made a mistake in booking that ship. As it turned out, we missed a port and had bad weather, but saw no evidence of the things people were complaining about.

[b']Kruisey[/b] - "Confuse-a-Cat" was broadcast, I think during Monty Python's last season on air. I know I've seen it on the tube. Albatross! Albatross!

The Parrot. :D ...gets me every time thats my all time favourite...though on CC its 'The Argument' that comes to mind all the time and gets me grinning. :)

To miss two ports plus the on shore excursions in a major city to some,including myself is a big deal ..........others can enjoy the on board credit because their bank roll can afford to do this trip at short notice again...For some it takes a lot of saving up for many months to take their dream cruise....so a future cruise credit would be in order for them ....thats just another thought on this subject from me. :cool:

In fact, in none of these examples have you signed away your rights as you do with the cruise contract. You might have trouble finding the person who let the cart run into your car, but you can send the steak back or leave the movie early and ask for a refund.

I have news for you. You can send the steak back, walk out of the show if you don't like it--same with the movie--on a cruise ship. You can also ask for seconds if you like it, even thirds. If something is wrong with the cabin, call the steward and he will get maintenance right on it. We had a smelly from mildew cabin once and it was immediately taken care of. We had a closet door break once and they were there within minutes to fix it.

I am paid to listen to complaints all day in my job...some complaints are valid and some are trivial. It is not for me to decide what irks you but I do know that these complaints can ruin your day. In the end, it usually only makes you (not me) miserable as those of us that are unaffected go on with our lives. What is sad however, is how the sufferer can dwell on these issues and the "wrongs" done to them. As I tell my children, cherish the things that go wrong and learn how to accept them and try to keep them from happening to you again. In my life, I have found these inevitable missteps to be opportunities to observe human behavior at its worst. Frankly, the victims' behavior can sometime be worse than the original crime. The complainers and whiners can be insufferable....may God keep me from loving the victims life as this leads to a life of misery.

I am paid to listen to complaints all day in my job...some complaints are valid and some are trivial. It is not for me to decide what irks you but I do know that these complaints can ruin your day. In the end, it usually only makes you (not me) miserable as those of us that are unaffected go on with our lives. What is sad however, is how the sufferer can dwell on these issues and the "wrongs" done to them. As I tell my children, cherish the things that go wrong and learn how to accept them and try to keep them from happening to you again. In my life, I have found these inevitable missteps to be opportunities to observe human behavior at its worst. Frankly, the victims' behavior can sometime be worse than the original crime. The complainers and whiners can be insufferable....may God keep me from loving the victims life as this leads to a life of misery.

Well said, bravo! Another lesson of life I have learned is that someone or something can not make you "unhappy, miserable, etc". Our feelings are our own choice. If we choose to be less than upbeat and happy we have no one to blame other than ourself. It is our own choice - not the influence of others. Princess did not "screw up" anyone's cruise, some simply chose to allow what happened on the cruise to make them feel that way.

It is obvious to me that a lot of people who are answering this and other post about the Grand engine trouble are either Princess employees or TAs.

Here is my letter to Princess. Can you feel the pain. If you can't you don't know what never means.

Dear Sir,

We are just back from the Mediterranean cruise on the Grand Princess, 8/30/05 Barcelona to Venice. Just to let you know how disappointed we were with Princess. The way you handled the engine trouble was very unprofessional.

We missed two of the three ports that we had booked this cruise to see. Ports that we will now, never see in our life time, what a big let down. In every way Princess has failed, from communication to compensation. You may think its not a big thing, because you go there so often, but we missed our chance, it will never be for us.

I could write a long letter giving all the assorted details and complaints, but I won’t, I’ll let others do that. Just want you to know how disappointed we are in Princess.

Excuse me but I am NOT an employee of Princess, nor am I a TA. I DID used to work in the tourist industry and I did come across people who were never satisfied with anything that was done for them.

You went on a cruise for a set number of days, you were fed, watered and had something to sleep on. You missed a few ports through a fault that was not foreseen, and unless psychic the crew could not have foreseen.

They tried to do a repair on the move to try and cut down inconvenience but unfortunately that was not possible. The passengers have been given compensation which is significantly higher than most lines would give.

As I said before, ANYONE who goes on a holiday..whether land or sea...and does not anticipate a possible problem or diversion is naive. Things breakdown, there is no way of avoiding it, in the same way that weather can also cause diversions.

It is not the end of the world. If you are so desperate to see certain places, well then perhaps a cruise is not the way to do it and perhaps you need to sit down and think next time you decide that you must go to place A, B or C.

Cruising is not an exact science, you pay your money, you board your ship but the itinerary is open to change at no notice - as per contract -if anything happens to go awry, such as weather or breakdown.

You have been well compensated. The crew did their best in the circumstances...or would you rather they just stopped the cruise and shoved the lot of you off and left you there?

Life is too damn short for whinging and whining about things that are unavoidable, especially when you are compensated for it.

I hope you get this message. I always enjoy reading your reviews and hearing your perspective. Just wanted you to know that you have my support!! :D

Still wish we had met on the Hawaii cruise!!

Jamie

;) We will meet in person someday!!

It is obvious to me that a lot of people who are answering this and other post about the Grand engine trouble are either Princess employees or TAs.

Here is my letter to Princess. Can you feel the pain. If you can't you don't know what never means.

Sorry, I couldn't feel the pain. And yes, I know what "never" means having missed two days in Jerusalem and Bethlehem on a cruise four years ago where Israel was removed from the itinerary after booking. I doubt I'll get another chance to go.

When anyone writes a letter of "complaint," it should be constructive criticism and include details about what failed, i.e., the old "who, what, why, when and where." No company is perfect and no one of us is perfect. Companies want to know what's gone wrong so that they can fix it. If their customers don't tell them specifically what went wrong, they can't.

For instance, you mention that the way the engine trouble was unprofessional. Be more specific: what was unprofessional? The way Princess brought in engineers? That they couldn't get it fixed right away? That they put the safety of the passengers before completing the itinerary? The way the engine trouble was communicated to the passengers? You've essentially told Princess nothing that they can address or respond to.

We missed two of the three ports that we had booked this cruise to see. Ports that we will now, never see in our life time, what a big let down. In every way Princess has failed, from communication to compensation. You may think its not a big thing, because you go there so often, but we missed our chance, it will never be for us.
Princess already knows that two ports were missed. Whether or not you can ever get back is not something Princess can address or fix. What failed in the communication? Why was the compensation a failure? Again, you've given Princess nothing that they can address.

If you write a letter of complaint to any company, they want to know the details, i.e., the specifics of your experience articulated in such a way that they can identify the problem and address it. Include suggestions on how you think something might have been improved. Unfortunately, you haven't given them anything.

BTW, I use a phrase when I write a complaint, "XYZ wasn't up to Princess' standards" and detail, with specifics, why it wasn't. I've found that'll get a response.

Don't be insulting. We all know very well what "never" means, and most of us in ways that are far most important and of greater impact than missing a few hours in a couple of ports. It is simply ludicrist to compare this "never" to real events like "never" seeing a parent or grandparent again.

That said, I did like your letter. Short and poignant. Considering that Princess is apparently going to get lots of letters, this is probably the right approach to take. I do feel your pain, though I'd suggest you might add in some biographical details on why you'll never see those ports. Given the whining that Princess is likely to see, they might assume that you're just exaggerating.

I was not on this cruise.I am a Princess fan.

Will always defend the 'Underdog' when I feel they have a valid point...Do I stick my neck out yes,but I hate to see people treated in an unempathetic

way....it hurts me .No that hard shell never developed....I will stay as I am ..thank you very much.When my time comes at least will feel I have done my best to bring some happiness to those I touch. :)

What would be wrong of Princess offering those affected a discount on their next cruise....A shipboard credit is to be used on that ship....it will not take them to the two ports and the day excursions in Athens?

Also I have not read anything in this thread that sounds like a whinging.Have read facts. :cool:

Without getting into my thought on the OP's letter and subsequent comments on this topic, I'd appreciate clarification on the $400 per person offered by Princess. If the money was given as a shipboard credit, does that mean you needed to 'use it or lose it' on the cruise, or could you get any remaining amount left in your account back as cash at the end of the cruise?

What would be wrong of Princess offering those affected a discount on their next cruise....

From reading these boards for a relatively short amount of time, I've found some of the people posting significant complaints about a particular cruise also state that they will never cruise that particular cruise line again. No matter how high the discount, I would assume some of the disgruntled passengers would have been unhappy with any type of future cruise credit offered, so the shipboard credit may have been the better option for those passengers.

Except for Coiran,:eek: the official Princess appologist and shill, your comments are probably right on the mark. I think they might offer a little more for the inconvenience and frustration. Your food remarks are right on the mark. I felt the same on my Princess Sun trip earlier this year. I've been on a cruise where we were cut short in every port due to an engine problem and nothing was offered.

I have one cruise on Princess scheduled for 2006 and if that is no improvement that will be my last as well.

So here's the thing, the "inconvenience and frustration" is based upon what actually happened, not what is claimed to have happened. One poster here has claimed "riots" were taking place several nights and involving a large number of passengers. Another claims "lots of" broken ankles on the ship. If either of these things were true, this would have been all over CNN, Fox, NBC, etc. In fact, if 1000 pax were rioting I'd think the Captain would be required to call in the Coast Guard (or European equivalent) to quell the situation for safety's sake.

Given that the things are are nominally testable are overwhelmingly likely to be false, why should we trust the rest of the claims by those two? I have no doubt that the ports were missed, and that there was a gathering at the pursur's desk. I don't doubt that the plate sat unremoved for an extended amount of time. I don't doubt that Princess could have made more announcements stating what they knew at the time, not that it would have changed the missing the ports. The question is: was the impact truly as devastating as claimed?

As many of us have pointed out, it wouldn't be too bright for someone to book the most unreliable method (and by far the most expensive per hour in port) to see those ports. It seems much more likely that these people are significantly overstating the true value they would have assigned to those ports if they had been required to do so before the cruise. Revisionist history seems to be the American way these days, but we don't have to accept it with no skepticism or rebuttal.

I am finding many of these posts amusing...but I really can relate to the disapointment that many have felt...but this is why I am a land lover...most of the cruising I do is to get an overview......I personally don't see how you can make a stop for 4-8 hours and feel you have been there.....From my experience here on the boards I am surprised how many love the sea days and I believe they far out weigh those of us who are into the ports...I mean how else can one go on the same ship/intinerary 4 or 5 times........each to his own...:)

Archived