Scenic Tours of Antigua

redsox1584

I really like what I've read about Scenic Tours, but am hesitant to book because of the four-passenger minimum. I'm booking for just my husband and me, so we would be left without a tour if no one else books that day. How many people do the vehicles hold? Does anyone know if their tours fill up in advance or would I be taking a chance with them? I'm also awaiting a report from Snow Bunny as she booked a private tour, apparently for just two people. That sounds great.

We had a very good tour with Hudson. We went to Shirley's Heights, the lookout, Nelson' Dockyard. We also chose to do some time at the beach. The cost was based on having four in the vehicle. We had several other stops along the way. As I said, the cost was double but we thought that this way we wouldn't have to wait on anyone to rejoin us when we stopped etc. As well, we really wanted to see the island and get some beach time in.

snow bunny

I finally chose to book The Island Experience Tour with the beach excursion. Can you tell me if you can snorkel at the beach ?

Touptite, we're booked with Scenic, Island Experience minus beach. I think the stop at the beach is an hour or so, they go to Turner's bay, so you could look it up and see if it's one suitable for snorkelling. I believe it's quieter with not much in the way of eating places/rest rooms there. Not being a snorkeller myself, I wouldn't know if an hour is long enough to make it worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi: I cannot do beach or ocean due to skin cancer surgery in hospital on my face but would love to do a scenic tour, I like to take photos which I can later use for watercolor. How would I schedule the scenic tour for non-beach option. Thank you so much for your kind sharing of all this information.

Edited by Aislinncursala

Hi: I cannot do beach or ocean due to skin cancer surgery in hospital on my face but would love to do a scenic tour, I like to take photos which I can later use for watercolor. How would I schedule the scenic tour for non-beach option. Thank you so much for your kind sharing of all this information.

You can simply choose the 'non beach' option on the website when signing up for this tour. There will stil be a stop at the beach for those who want to be dropped off and for picture taking - I presume you can stay on the bus if you don't want to get off? After that you would be dropped off back at the port (and the beach users would be picked up later).

• 3 weeks later...
I really like what I've read about Scenic Tours, but am hesitant to book because of the four-passenger minimum. I'm booking for just my husband and me, so we would be left without a tour if no one else books that day. How many people do the vehicles hold? Does anyone know if their tours fill up in advance or would I be taking a chance with them? I'm also awaiting a report from Snow Bunny as she booked a private tour, apparently for just two people. That sounds great.

We did what turned out to be a private tour with just 4 of us, but we just paid the normal price of $33 per adult for the island tour minus beach break booked via the website. I was expecting there to be other people, especially as there was another ship in port, but we were the only ones with Hudson, our guide. His SUV would have held 7, it was very luxurious and spotlessly clean. We toured all over the island, including a view overlooking the harbour, the oldest church, the cricket ground, the rain forest, Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard. Hudson was lots of fun, full of nuggets of information, very proud of his island home and happy to talk about it and his family. He stopped at a stall and bought us a selection of fresh fruit, took photos of us, slowed down for us to take photos of things we found interesting along the way....

It was great, we had an amazing time.

Edited by groovechick
Addition

• 3 weeks later...

It was ok tour, but the there was not enough time in the sights. It was quite a rush to continue the tour and the beach time was only one hour. The island was different than the other Caribbean islands (poorer), but it was still a quite nice experience. I can recommend this tour.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a fast question for your redsox1584, how long was the stop at Nelson's Dockyard National park? We're really interested in getting some photo ops there. Thanks.

We felt the time in Nelson's Dockyard was too short. We had time to walk back from the tour, look for a restroom, which we didn't find, and get some treats from the bakery. Very short.

• 2 weeks later...
We felt the time in Nelson's Dockyard was too short. We had time to walk back from the tour, look for a restroom, which we didn't find, and get some treats from the bakery. Very short.

We spent a great day with Hudson as our tour guide in Antigua a few weeks ago. We had two other couples with us in a spotless van. We saw the high points of the island, and opted not to do the beach part, although it was available. Had sufficient time at Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard - we were able to join the official tour of the Dockyard once we arrived there, which was ideal. I would definitely recommend this excursion for a great overview of the island.

We did what turned out to be a private tour with just 4 of us, but we just paid the normal price of $33 per adult for the island tour minus beach break booked via the website. I was expecting there to be other people, especially as there was another ship in port, but we were the only ones with Hudson, our guide. His SUV would have held 7, it was very luxurious and spotlessly clean. We toured all over the island, including a view overlooking the harbour, the oldest church, the cricket ground, the rain forest, Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard. Hudson was lots of fun, full of nuggets of information, very proud of his island home and happy to talk about it and his family. He stopped at a stall and bought us a selection of fresh fruit, took photos of us, slowed down for us to take photos of things we found interesting along the way....

It was great, we had an amazing time.

We toured last week with Lawrence of Antigua. He has a website and filled his own van with 9 total including my husband and I. The vehicle was clean and Lawrence was great. We saw the highlights for $40 each. Plenty of time at the Nelson Dockyards, Shirley Heights, English Harbor National Park and Rainforest. Great narrated tour. Highly recommended!

We arranged our Scenic tour through Sean and were generally happy with the tour - nice views, good info, enough time at the dockyard, etc. but were less than impressed with the beach stop at Turner's. The only "umbrellas" available are large wooden structures which were all occupied when we arrived at about noon. Our only option for shade was to sit in the bar :( or rent chairs under a large palm tree. The chair guys were less than helpful and we had no view of the water :mad: -- we did have lots of traffic as everyone walked past us going to/from the bar.

I would suggest that Sean find another beach before I could recommend this tour.