A Tale of Two Insurance Policies

I wish I had read a tread like this before I purchased my TravelSafe policies. I've had a claim being stalled by TripMate for two months so far. They just this week requested confirmation of my cancelled flight from 5/11. It took them 7 weeks to confirm from TravelSafe that I did have a policy through them. I'll never buy another policy which uses TripMate for claims!!!:mad:

Well Trip Mate's web site shows they FINALLY printed a check on 8/10. Since I hadn't received it, I called today. I was told they still haven't MAILED it yet as of 8/17. They said to be patient, it should mail in a few days. ***? It's been THREE months. Boy did I make a mistake selecting this company. :mad::mad::mad:

Another glowing review for Steve and tripinsurancestore dot com.

I called them after reading all the rave reviews here on CC. Steve was very helpful and patient and answered all my questions and gave me a policy that was perfect for me. He even told me that my 15 year old son would be covered for free - the TA's insurance charged me for him!

I highly recommend Steve and the tripinsurancestore dot com. :D

Hello all, we must remember rather it is tripinsurancstore or insuremytrip or other agency that can offer multiple options vs single source options is just that... TA's and cruise lines usually only offer a single carrier which then can either manage well or offers the best remuneration etc.. we like to think that we are being looked after by these trusted points of contact.

I also have to remember that others experience are very important in making these decisions and my 'claim' experience may and can vary from someone else's, which does not negate or reinforce others, it is just mine. Thus making the reviews and comments for this thread important because there are intricacies/details which I would not think about were I to file a claim.

Another reason to shop around as one, hopefully, does when purchasing other personal lines of insurance such as auto, life, health, dental etc.. or hopefully many of us do this. Then select, based on perceived value and coverage make the purchase.

Sometimes we purchase base on easy, sometimes no brainers, or whatever values we attach to such purchases... etc...

bon voyage all and I trust most of us find this thread very helpful and filled with guidance not only for travel but for personal items...

bo1953

Edited by Bo1953

I think it's important that all options be considered when planning an insurance purchase. One size does not fit all!

As far as TripMate goes... we have had to use it several times... ALL with positive results. Twice we have had to cancel trips due to parents illness... both times the paperwork was processed promptly and we received our refund within a week. Another time my husband was ill in Africa and we had to stay behind the tour group for several days. We were promptly reimbursed for hotel cost and trip delay after we completed the paperwork. We have been pleased with this customer service.

We have also used Allianz and had a plane cancellation reimbursed promptly.

Maybe we have just been lucky with our experiences. Hope never have to need insurance on a trip but glad we have had it.

I think it's important that all options be considered when planning an insurance purchase. One size does not fit all!

As far as TripMate goes... we have had to use it several times... ALL with positive results. Twice we have had to cancel trips due to parents illness... both times the paperwork was processed promptly and we received our refund within a week. Another time my husband was ill in Africa and we had to stay behind the tour group for several days. We were promptly reimbursed for hotel cost and trip delay after we completed the paperwork. We have been pleased with this customer service.

We have also used Allianz and had a plane cancellation reimbursed promptly.

Maybe we have just been lucky with our experiences. Hope never have to need insurance on a trip but glad we have had it.

I'm very glad you got paid by TripMate within a week. I finally got paid after submitting all the documentation with the original claim but it took them over three months. Then they failed to include the non refundable hotel payment that had proper documentation submitted with the original claim. So I had to request the payment. I hope it doesn't take another three months.

I suppose I had a lazy claims adjuster working on my case and you had an exceptional one.

Also possible some cases are more complicated then others?

Yes some are. But in my case American Airlines cancelled the flight due to storms in Dallas the night before so they couldn't get the equipment to Charleston.

It took TripMate SEVEN weeks to confirm with TravelSafe that I had a valid paid policy and ELEVEN weeks to confirm with American Airlines that they did cancel the flight.

I was told that they emailed AA to confirm and didn't get a response in a month so they waited. Then after I tried to move it forward a month later, they called AA. A couple of weeks later I was told nobody from AA called them back.

Then after their web site showed the final payment was made, they held the check for a week before mailing.

Sounds complicated to me. :mad: Perhaps an employee better suited for government work was assigned my claim?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Cheryl's post got me involved in a 3 day search for insurance that was eye opening and effective. Here are the parameters of my situation:

1. Elderly mother. Needed cancellation. (Not available in ANNUAL insurance)

2. No pre existing conditions.

3. Departing for cruise from our second home in France, essentially negating almost all policies issued in the States since travel must originate from your US residence.

After reading just about every post, I encouraged my husband to sign in to his USAA account ( most ex military deal with this wonderful company).

USAA forwarded us to the Travel Insured site, where the prices were slightly lower but also PERMITTED US TO ORIGINATE OUR JOURNEY ANYWHERE. Our highest level policy has a higher med evac than most, no age restriction, and no pre existing conditions. I booked by phone using our USAA membership number.

Note: I checked with European insurance companies and April International was the best to meet our needs until I discovered that I was excluded by being age 75.

I hope.this helps anyone with special situations like us "ex-pats".

Susan

Highly recommend USAA/Travel guard, never used on 32 cruises but know friends who have and rate HIGH>

• 2 weeks later...
Another glowing review for Steve and tripinsurancestore dot com.

I called them after reading all the rave reviews here on CC. Steve was very helpful and patient and answered all my questions and gave me a policy that was perfect for me. He even told me that my 15 year old son would be covered for free - the TA's insurance charged me for him!

I highly recommend Steve and the tripinsurancestore dot com. :D

That's cool, but I would save the "singing his praises" until after you have filed for a claim. ;)

Edited by GuavaTechAngels

That's cool, but I would save the "singing his praises" until after you have filed for a claim. ;)

We worked with Steve and TripInsuranceStore.com just about 2 years ago, the first time we purchased trip insurance.

We were pretty clueless about this type of insurance, although we know a reasonable amount about our car/auto/umbrella insurance (including a few claims over the decades).

Steve and the others who work with him spent a really huge amount of time answering what must have seemed like endless "but what if..." questions.

We finally purchased a policy for our first big trip for a major birthday/"pre-retirement" celebration.

And with less than 2 weeks before we were due to leave home, DH had a medical emergency and the entire trip was cancelled.

Steve helped us to make sure we made all of the proper notifications (and got written confirmation - this IS important!).

We then spent several weeks dealing with the medical issues.

Then ... time for the claims.

Steve made some editing suggestions for our cover letter, submitted with all the forms.

The only delay was that the physician forgot (!) to write in the actual diagnosis on the form he had to complete.

Once we had that fixed (with a quick fax), TravelInsured called in about a week to say that the check was on its way.

A week later, the check arrived, and we cashed it.

None of the paperwork required seemed irrelevant.

Obviously, the insurer had a right to make sure that the claim was valid.

NOTE: Because we had purchased the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusions, this probably help with the payment speed, as there was absolutely no need for them to verify whether any pre-existing condition might have been involved.

Even though the loss of the [high] cost of the trip obviously would not have caused a severe financial burden (or we shouldn't have been taking it!), it was just a bit comforting while dealing with the medical problems not to be grumbling about the large loss.

GeezerCouple

There is way to much to read on this post so I skimmed through it but may have missed something. What about Cruise Care through Royal Caribbean? Any issues? Who is their underwriter?

Do NOT buy insurance thru the cruise line!!! Get it from an outside vender (thetripinsurancestore.com) and insure you entire trip! Go the the Travel Insurance Boards on CC and you can educate yourself.

Don't do it!!!!!

There is way to much to read on this post so I skimmed through it but may have missed something. What about Cruise Care through Royal Caribbean? Any issues? Who is their underwriter?

Did you read the coverage limits and exclusions in the policy? If you get sick, need to be hospitalized or med evac, those limits seem pretty low to me. But if you're ok with it, it's your decision.

I'd look at the cost of Cruise Care and what you get vs. an independent trip insurance company and their limits/cost. I'm in the camp that it's better to have too much coverage and not need it than too little and need more...especially for an unexpected catastrophic incident. Insurance is only expensive when you don't need it.

I have purchased insurance through Steve's company around ten times now. We did need to make a (fairly substantial) claim last November. There was a good deal of paperwork, but we received the full amount of our claim 4-5 weeks after filing the claim.

• 3 months later...

Allow me to join the chorus "singing his praises."

Steve truly stands behind his satisfaction guaranteed promise. It only took one call from him and no additional information from me to get the insurance company to issue the check they have been working on for months.

Steve truly stands behind his satisfaction guaranteed promise. It only took one call from him and no additional information from me to get the insurance company to issue the check they have been working on for months.

Thanks for the info. We have two cruises booked..one in April and another in Oct., 2016. We haven't made final payment on either of them, so do we still have time to purchase insurance that would pay for pre-existing conditions? I am concerned about something happening (serious situation or death) to family members with pre-ex which may cause us to have to stay home to be with them. My DH and I do not have any pre-ex. condition.

The TA told us we had up until final payment to purchase the insurance.

Thanks for the info. We have two cruises booked..one in April and another in Oct., 2016. We haven't made final payment on either of them, so do we still have time to purchase insurance that would pay for pre-existing conditions? I am concerned about something happening (serious situation or death) to family members with pre-ex which may cause us to have to stay home to be with them. My DH and I do not have any pre-ex. condition.

The TA told us we had up until final payment to purchase the insurance.

The best thing is to call Steve and colleagues at

TripInsuranceStore.com

FIRST THING: "Pre-existing condition" concerns can be very different for the travelers or immediate relatives staying home.

Check on that specifically for any policies you are considering.

But we just had experience with this (for our own medical situations), for a cruise in about 2 weeks.

We usually get insurance within the 14-21 day period of first deposit, in part to get that waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion.

For this trip, we hadn't done that, but Steve had explained some choices for us in the past if this occurred.

So we are insured with a different company, and we had to insure within 24 hours of FINAL PAYMENT of the highest priced part of the trip.

NOTE: Make sure you understand how this works; there is some flexibility.

The cost isn't much more than if we had insured the other way (sooner), but some of the coverage is less.

The main *problem* to be aware of in this case is that although CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage is still available, that is MUCH more expensive if purchased with this later coverage.

We didn't want it for this trip, so it was okay.

(Sometimes we still do, because of DH's work, but not at this time of year.)

GeezerCouple

Just hit the like button;)

• 2 months later...

We have a travel insurance policy for a cruise coming up on March 27. We booked the cruise back in October. We will be cruising with family. My parents bought all of the insurance policies at the time we booked, as they were giving it to all of us as a gift.

I have recently found out about a possible scheduling conflict (court obligation). I cannot find anything in the policy that specifically states that I cannot file a claim (or that they will deny my claim) for this work obligation. However, any other policy I have ever purchased has specifically excluded work related claims.

Months ago, we submitted a proposed Order for trial not to occur before June 1. We finally received the Order back today, and the Judge had pen and ink changed the date to "not before March 29." Due to the age of the case, it is likely to appear for trial on March 29. We are scheduled to mediate the case on 2/29. I would like to wait until mediation to make a final decision, but I will be within the window of losing all of my money (per the line's cancellation policies). I just can't find anything that specifically excludes or includes such an occurrence.

Has anyone ever had any luck processing a claim for a legal issue before? If so, I could use some guidance.

I work as an insurance defense legal assistant, so I am pretty well versed at reading policies for any sort of possible exclusion. Also, very pessimistic (I think realistic) about my chances of successfully filing a claim.

I just can't find anything that specifically excludes or includes such an occurrence.

Has anyone ever had any luck processing a claim for a legal issue before? If so, I could use some guidance.

The first step is to get the legal Description of Coverage for the specific policy purchased. If it's the cruiseline policy, you can find it online on the website. There is a provision for subpoena, as well as an 'any reason' credit. Either of those might work for you. If it was a third party policy from the TA, you will have to get the corresponding DOC from the TA or your parents.

We have a travel insurance policy for a cruise coming up on March 27. We booked the cruise back in October. We will be cruising with family. My parents bought all of the insurance policies at the time we booked, as they were giving it to all of us as a gift.

I have recently found out about a possible scheduling conflict (court obligation). I cannot find anything in the policy that specifically states that I cannot file a claim (or that they will deny my claim) for this work obligation. However, any other policy I have ever purchased has specifically excluded work related claims.

Months ago, we submitted a proposed Order for trial not to occur before June 1. We finally received the Order back today, and the Judge had pen and ink changed the date to "not before March 29." Due to the age of the case, it is likely to appear for trial on March 29. We are scheduled to mediate the case on 2/29. I would like to wait until mediation to make a final decision, but I will be within the window of losing all of my money (per the line's cancellation policies). I just can't find anything that specifically excludes or includes such an occurrence.

I work as an insurance defense legal assistant, so I am pretty well versed at reading policies for any sort of possible exclusion. Also, very pessimistic (I think realistic) about my chances of successfully filing a claim.

Hi legaljen1969,

What policy did your parents buy for you and which company is it with? And, what State do you live in?

Also, are you self-employed (sole proprietor) or a W2 employee of a law firm?

Steve Dasseos

Having read through this thread, I was happy to learn about tripinsurancestore. com and looked at the information on their website. The advise in this thread was helpful as I was able to separate the companies that I would consider from those that was considered problematic. So, having narrowed my list of possibilities, I called and spoke with one of Steve's associates who answered all of my questions.

One of the most important pieces of information I obtained is that Travel Insured WTP Plus allows for the purchase of "cancel for any reason" coverage AND you can purchase the insurance as you add to the cost of your trip. That means you don't have to purchase insurance for the entire cost of the trip right away. You can cover only the cost of the deposit initially -- and then add coverage as you add items like airfare and excursions. You don't have to pay for insurance for the entire cruise cost until you make your final payment. That is a huge benefit, in my mind, since I can cover the cost of airfare which is nonrefundable - and recoup my deposit if I cancel before the final payment is due - without going out of pocket for insurance on everything. I was told that I have 10 days to increase the insurance each time I add nonrefundable expenses to the trip.

I was never told this by my travel agent or other insurance companies. So, I have another reason to say "thank you" for making us aware of the tripinsurancestore.

Having read through this thread' date=' I was happy to learn about tripinsurancestore. com and looked at the information on their website. The advise in this thread was helpful as I was able to separate the companies that I would consider from those that was considered problematic. So, having narrowed my list of possibilities, I called and spoke with one of Steve's associates who answered all of my questions.

One of the most important pieces of information I obtained is that Travel Insured WTP Plus allows for the purchase of "cancel for any reason" coverage AND you can purchase the insurance as you add to the cost of your trip. That means you don't have to purchase insurance for the entire cost of the trip right away. You can cover only the cost of the deposit initially -- and then add coverage as you add items like airfare and excursions. You don't have to pay for insurance for the entire cruise cost until you make your final payment. That is a huge benefit, in my mind, since I can cover the cost of airfare which is nonrefundable - and recoup my deposit if I cancel before the final payment is due - without going out of pocket for insurance on everything. I was told that I have 10 days to increase the insurance each time I add nonrefundable expenses to the trip.

I was never told this by my travel agent or other insurance companies. So, I have another reason to say "thank you" for making us aware of the tripinsurancestore.[/quote']

Better yet, here is more of a recommendation for TripInsuranceStore.com AND for TravelInsured...

We've had two large claims with TravelInsured, including the very first time we purchased travel insurance.

DH got seriously ill less than 2 weeks before our departure date for our first *major* vacation. Everything got cancelled. And had it happened 2 weeks later, there would have been medical costs and possibly a medevac home.

Steve was a real help in filing both claims.

The second claim was a bit unusual, and Steve called TravelInsured to double check how the claim should be filed. (We weren't even sure the situation was covered, but it was.)

And we also like the "add coverage" as more non-refundable costs are added.

(If your policy is like ours, if you don't go on the trip but didn't have any claim on the insurance, for example, you could transfer the coverage to another trip within something like a year - but double check that.)

We now also keep the annual plan for MedJetAssist.

They will medevac you to your home hospital if you are admitted to a hospital as an inpatient more than 150 miles from home.

YOU get to decide, not doctors (who might be tempted to claim they "are indeed qualified" to treat the condition) or insurance bean counters.