Baltic currency.

G & T for me

Is it essential to take Russian rouble, Swedish and Danish kroner and Polish Zloty? We only ever pay for a coffee, lager, few bits a pieces and a bus ride or two? Do they now accept Euros for this or are we as well to take some please?

Edited by G & T for me

The Scandanavian countries 'might' take euros, but I haven't been in a long time. Russia only rubles and some tourist traps are happy to take dollars. Or maybe euros. Your best bet is to ask on the Ports of Call board for Northern Europe and the Baltics. EM

We used our credit card for meals, and purchases.Sweden and Denmark

only seem to accept their own money.

Never bought any foreign money for Baltics. Any craft areas in St. Petersburg took U.S. dollars and Euros. We did have pounds and Euro

for the other countries we visited.

For our 2014 cruise, I purchased the 3 different Kroners for Scandanavia, the Russian were happy to get USD, Brits use Pounds and the rest of Europe wanted Euro. In Poland we had a private tour and paid in USD, but never purchased anything there. Some currencies are too difficult to purchase from our exchange agencies.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

We have done Baltic cruise twice before and due to go again this Saturday on Caribbean Princess. We have pre purchased a small amount of local currency for Denmark, Sweden and Poland for coffee and a snack and souvenir. They might accept euros in some shops in these countries but the exchange rate will be heavily in their favour and Denmark and Sweden are already very expensive countries so will make things even more expensive. With regards to Russia never changed or needed Roubles wherever you go whether it be on ship excursion or private tour company there will be street sellers trying to sell you souvenirs, guide books and postcards and they will happily accept US$ or euros we never had the chance to be able to wander on our own or go anywhere for coffee/snacks so didnt need local currency.

Chip and pin cards or local currency only will work for buying transportation tickets at a machine.

So we make sure we have at least a small amount for any port we plan to do on our own. ATM'S are our way to get more if needed for purchases. Credit cards only for a large purchase.

We just returned from a Baltic cruise. Not on Princess, but wouldn't make a difference to the question.

99% of the time, a credit card can be used for any transaction. It does not matter how small, a cup of coffee, etc. that is fine. We even went to a museum in Stockholm that did not accept cash, period. Not even in fhe cafe', completely cashless!

We had a new chip and pin card and it worked like a charm. We were on Holland America and the passenger service desk sold Danish, Swedish and Norwegian currency so we bought a small amount but ended up spending it on small items before we got back on the ship. Honestly, we really didn't need it but DH felt more comfortable!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We just returned from a Baltic cruise. Not on Princess, but wouldn't make a difference to the question.

We had a new chip and pin card and it worked like a charm. !

Did you have chip and pin or chip and signature? Our card companies are introducing the latter later this year. I'm curious how you got the European type card.

Edited by eandj

Did you have chip and pin or chip and signature? Our card companies are introducing the latter later this year. I'm curious how you got the European type card.

Some US companies do indeed issue chip and pin cards. The ones doing chip and signature are doing a real disservice to their customers. (USAA is one that does have a chip and pin option, we used it a number of times in europe.)

We have taken with us the local currencies of the Scandinavian countries visited for coffees, ice cream etc. Found it quite useful a glad we did. It's a little bit of organisation as there are quite a few countries back to back all with different currency's.

Did not take Russian currency with us, and found on our visit, there was no opportunity to actually spend it if we had (with the exception of the souvenir shop - which took Credit card).

I got a true chip and pin card through Wells Fargo two years ago but it was only offered through my investment account. We used the card several times in Europe but still had to sign the receipt. There are a few other chip and pin cards issued in the U.S. It looks like most U.S. Cards will be chip and signature for now.

Our old USAirways Mastercard was automatically reissued to be an American Airlines AAdvantage card after the two airlines merged. The new card arrived in April, and it is issued by Barclays. it is truly a chip and pin card, and when I called to tell them what dates I would be out of the country and what countries I was visiting the agent said I could use it at unmanned kiosks, toll booths, etc. in Europe for purchases, which previously could not be done using most US bank issued credit cards.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We took a small amount of all the currencies for the countries we visited. This way we were ready to go as soon as the ship docked. In Russia, our guide not a cruise line tour took us to a market so we could purchase some local items, not no of those special stores for non residents. For souvenirs, since the market by the church of the spit blood is now gone, and there are few vendors on the street anywhere, we found them cheaper at the dock in some of the stores.

Our old USAirways Mastercard was automatically reissued to be an American Airlines AAdvantage card after the two airlines merged. The new card arrived in April, and it is issued by Barclays. it is truly a chip and pin card, and when I called to tell them what dates I would be out of the country and what countries I was visiting the agent said I could use it at unmanned kiosks, toll booths, etc. in Europe for purchases, which previously could not be done using most US bank issued credit cards.

Thanks for that info. I have investment and regular charge accounts, but none are ready to issue the pin without a signature card.

Guess we'll continue carrying the nominal local currency for transportation and small purchases. Actually DH rather pay with cash whenever possible. We've been hit with attempted card fraud a couple times...once while cruising unfortunately. (That can mess up the next ports' attempt to pay something if flagged by your card company.)

Edited by eandj

We used our charge card in Copenhagen, Oslo, Arrhus and Stockholm. The gift shops our private tour stopped at in St. Petersburg accepted Euros and Dollars. A number of shops in the old town of Stockholm accepted Euros and Dollars. Only time I needed local currency was to rent a locker at the Munch Museum for my backpack. Someone at the counter actually lent me the correct coin and I returned it after I was done using the locker. A nice gesture [emoji4]

St. Petersburg: We had some rubles for drinks at a restaurant that only took cash. We used whatever was leftover for our driver's tip.

We did take currency, about $100 for each country --part of the experience--and we did use it mainly at street vendors/markets and for tips.

Edited by Alaskanb

You need coins for all countries for restrooms if you are not on a guided tour! Even McDonalds charges! Shocker to us Americans - be prepared!
There are "complementary" restrooms available in many, but not all, restaurants for customers and in museums. That's what we often used. We did need a one Euro coin for the restroom in a German train station and the Rock Church in Helsinki.