? regarding National Express Coach

we arrive at Heathrow (International flight) 6:30 am....if all goes well and we depart with no delays (end of November) - arriving in Terminal 5

I have a choice of 8:30 a.m. coach or 10:15 a.m. coach to Southampton ( to go to hotel)

I emailed them , and they recommend 1-1/2 hours leeway. However, any delays or long immigration lines could conceivably hold things up.

I was also told that if we were delayed to call them and then I could pay 5£ per person amendment fee PLUS any difference in fare to secure another bus time IF space is available.

Any advice?

Also, on the return from our cruise, will taxis give me a hard time if I only want a ride to the Southampton coach station rather than a long haul fare?

Carol

We are doing pretty much the same come end of July, so I will report back & let you know what worked for us as far as timeframes. We have opted for the 8.15 am, knowing there is an option, just in case!

Hi Carol,

First of all, you're quoting a coach time of 8.30, Lara is quoting 8.15.

I doubt either of you has mis-read the timetable, coach times depend on your different dates and terminals.

Sound advice from Nat Express. Plus early morning arrivals from across the Pond are almost always on time and frequently early, and much less chance of a long line at immigration. There's every probability of making that 8.30 coach.

You also have that same facility to book the later coach and then switch to the earlier one if you are in time & it's not booked-out, but the time taken to fix that switch will cut into that time. But an up-side of booking the later one, as you are aware, is that you're guaranteed a seat if you're too late for the 8.30.

Sorry, I don't know how likely coaches may be booked-out.

If your arrangements go belly-up, the train (actually a shuttlebus plus train) is more expensive but very frequent & no need to pre-book. Not a preferred option for most folk, but useful as a Plan B.

Switching to a different coach only applies at airports.

Nat Express are aware that flights can be late or delays in arrival formalities. But that concession is only for coaches from airports, it doesn't apply for instance to travel in the opposite direction or for travel from central London - in those cases the ticket is valid only for the booked coach, and passengers have to buy fresh tickets if they miss it.

No worries about taxis from the pier - they are metered city taxis, they spend all day doing short runs in the city & environs. For longer journeys eg to London most folk pre-book private-hire cars

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Last August our flight out of LAX was delayed, and the line at passport control was terrible. As a result we missed our coach out of Heathrow by about 5 minutes. We were kindly put on the next coach, and although we had the 5£ fee ready we were not charged. My dh thinks it was because I was so frazzled looking and the person at the desk took pity on us. So we got a cup of coffee and relaxed until the next coach.

It will work out, don't worry.

Depending on when you are planning this, you are taking a chance by booking the earlier one. If you haven't been at Heathrow, it can be intimidating, which will add to the stress. Could you book the later bus and then if you indeed have time, switch to the earlier bus if seats, instead of the other way?

Just another thought....if you plan on taking NE back to Heathrow or London after the cruise, it's best that you make sure you book seats for the return. Several people showed up unannounced at the coach station and had to wait awhile for available seats. They had expected to just board the first coach out with no problems.

Hi Carol,

First of all, you're quoting a coach time of 8.30, Lara is quoting 8.15.

I doubt either of you has mis-read the timetable, coach times depend on your different dates and terminals.

Sound advice from Nat Express. Plus early morning arrivals from across the Pond are almost always on time and frequently early, and much less chance of a long line at immigration. There's every probability of making that 8.30 coach.

You also have that same facility to book the later coach and then switch to the earlier one if you are in time & it's not booked-out, but the time taken to fix that switch will cut into that time. But an up-side of booking the later one, as you are aware, is that you're guaranteed a seat if you're too late for the 8.30.

Sorry, I don't know how likely coaches may be booked-out.

If your arrangements go belly-up, the train (actually a shuttlebus plus train) is more expensive but very frequent & no need to pre-book. Not a preferred option for most folk, but useful as a Plan B.

Switching to a different coach only applies at airports.

Nat Express are aware that flights can be late or delays in arrival formalities. But that concession is only for coaches from airports, it doesn't apply for instance to travel in the opposite direction or for travel from central London - in those cases the ticket is valid only for the booked coach, and passengers have to buy fresh tickets if they miss it.

No worries about taxis from the pier - they are metered city taxis, they spend all day doing short runs in the city & environs. For longer journeys eg to London most folk pre-book private-hire cars

thank you SO much.....

We arrive terminal 5 , last pickup for NE coach...Lara must be at Terminal 4 , which is 15 minute earlier pickup.

We have been to heathrow twice, not at the newer terminals. first time was a NIGHTMARE, we arrived late, AND i migration lines were HUGE! and Chaos! we were several hours between liineups and luggage.

I believe last time we more or less breezed through (if that is possible at heathrow) with very little time involved.

two of my last international flights this year were delayed 1 hour push off, due to mechanical problem, water leak in kitchen area, when you hit a snag, it REALLY changes the perspective on your scheduling and timing. That being said, when we have taken off on time, yes we do arrive earlier than the " written" arrival time - and happy for it, but cannot guarantee that scenario!

I could share a private transfer with a friend who arrives terminal 4, different time - through Smith's for just a bit more money, her flight comes in 2 hours after ours does, Company has built into the pricing picking us up at our terminal at her designated arrival time, and then heading over to pick my friend up.

Might be an option - and yes, I would still be waiting around, but it would be private transfer.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

We are doing pretty much the same come end of July, so I will report back & let you know what worked for us as far as timeframes. We have opted for the 8.15 am, knowing there is an option, just in case!

what time does your flight land?

Carol

one more question...how soon in advance should I be booking the coach? doing return also from Southampton (post cruise) to airport, same day

Carol

Wow, Carol, that's a pretty short cruise :D

Book as soon as you're sure & your travel cancellation insurance is set up - refunds are subject to conditions, see sect 6 of http://www.nationalexpress.com/assets/uploads/pdf/Conditions-of-Carriage.pdf

I've just tried a booking for as far out as next September (2016), and the website was willing to accept.

Coaches do book-out, especially the ideal morning coaches from Southampton when several ships are in. I read a post recently about folk who arrived at Southampton coach station expecting to buy & board and couldn't be accommodated.

thanks, I will book soon, hopefully airline does not change flight times (has happened twice, but it was only a matter of minutes. )

I double checked, our flight comes in 6:25 a.m., so I will book the 8:30 a.m. and hope to make it. Too long sitting around until the 10:15 a.m. bus

Thanks JB for all your info and help!

Carol

One other point Carol...the NE website is renowned for rejecting US credit cards. This is usually because the US card companies assume that as you are buying something abroad, its a fraudulent purchase. So ring your CC company to tell them you are buying abroad and they will lift the restriction. If you still have problems, try another card. Hopefully you will sail through the process, but if you have a heads up, hopefully you will know why problems can occur.

Simon

One other point Carol...the NE website is renowned for rejecting US credit cards. This is usually because the US card companies assume that as you are buying something abroad, its a fraudulent purchase. So ring your CC company to tell them you are buying abroad and they will lift the restriction. If you still have problems, try another card. Hopefully you will sail through the process, but if you have a heads up, hopefully you will know why problems can occur.

Simon

thank you for that advice...I had already read this on trip advisor forum, and will definitely call my CC company beforehand.

Carol

We used the National Express in May. Our flight arrived on time, went through customs with no problem and were an hour early for our scheduled bus. We went to the desk and asked if we could get an earlier bus...no problem. I'm sure this was possible because the bus wasn't full. So depending on timing and availability, you can book the later bus and possibly end up on an earlier one.