Alaska-Scooter in port towns

debbyruss

My Mom has rented a small scooter for our Legend Alaska cruise in August. Do many people take their scooters off the ship into the towns that have shops near the docks? Also wondering if you just leave the scooter outside the shop (& take the key with you, of course)..and if it's ever a problem. She is also renting a walker, but the scooter would be best.

I've seen scooters, in Alaska. But, you don't see them sitting on sidewalks, which I wouldn't really recommend.

I would suggest, that you not skimp on the power, IF you happen to be at dock 3 or 4 in Ketchikan- anyone with mobility problems will need to take the scooter off the ship, unless you get on and off at high tide. Same with the South Franklin Dock, and AJ dock in Juneau.

The last time we cruised to Alaska I used a three wheeled scooter rented from SpecialNeedsAtSea The ports were Ketchikan (dock1), Juneau (AJ Dock) and Skagway (RRA Dock). I had zero issue getting off the ship or using the scooter in the ports towns. Many stores have very low thresholds and I was able to roll around the port and enter the store, and zip (slowly) around. The shopkeepers were very helpful. If unable to get into a store, I was able to leave it outside the store and took the key. In Juneau, at the AJ dock, the cruise company (NCL) had a shuttle going continuously, one of which had a wheelchair lift. We just asked that driver the times he would be at the tram so we would be sure to get that bus without waiting.

Getting on/off the ship with the scooter was no problem. I was able to go down the ramp on my own. Getting back on, depending on the tide, I could go up the ramp on my own, or if very steep, the crew pushed me up.

The worst experience was on the ship itself with people moving over in front of me very quickly--If I could not stop fast enough, they got bumped by the basket! Also using the elevators, some of the cruisers were not very respectful. They would jump in first and not leave room for me and my scooter, or when the elevator stopped, the cruisers waiting for the elevator would be close to the door and I could not get out. Just reminding them when I wanted in or out of the elevator fixed the issue.

I agree with the above post! I had no trouble getting on or off of the ship at all the ports. I shopped with the family, left my scooter at the base of the tram up to the lookout points. I always have a garbage bag in the pocket on my scooter to cover the handlebars and stem in case it rains to protect the mechanism. Never had a problem on any of the cruises I have been on, except those mentioned above with elevator riders listed above - we would always wait for another elevator - my family began (after waiting for three or four - when folks would just leap into the elevator ahead of us when we were clearly waiting for the elevator guests to depart before entering) to jump in front of the doors and bar anyone from entering while the elevator was emptying out.

Dudette does not use a scooter but takes a wheelchair and I am the pusher. What I can tell you is that the ports of call in Alaska, while not 100% accessible they are amazingly accessible. Your mother certainly will not have any problem getting around on her scooter but may find maneuvering within some of the over crowded shops a bit of a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the great comments - they all make me feel better about taking her scooter into town! In Skagway, we are docked at RRF; Ketchikan at Dock 1; Juneau at CT. She has rented, both a scooter and a walker from Special Needs At Sea. Sometimes she is fine with nothing, sometimes she needs more. She will take her walker only on excursions. Getting excited - 30 days till we sail!:)

Thank you all for the great comments - they all make me feel better about taking her scooter into town! In Skagway, we are docked at RRF; Ketchikan at Dock 1; Juneau at CT. She has rented, both a scooter and a walker from Special Needs At Sea. Sometimes she is fine with nothing, sometimes she needs more. She will take her walker only on excursions. Getting excited - 30 days till we sail!:)

You have the farthest dock in Juneau. I would suggest, not going by street, into "town". Stay along the waterfront which runs all the way through town. there are also benches along the way. Plus, it's a "scenic" walk.

Those rental scooters can really go faster than someone can run so the operator can get their shopping done and be back on board before their family members.

The small scooter baskets are still large enough for bottled water, poncho, purses, cameras, etc. A duffle bag w/strap can be hooked over the seat for larger purchases.

As a warning, don't give edibles to the scooter operator as they will be back to the stateroom and munching while friends/family are still walking back to the ship. This is quite appropriate for those stopped at the Alaska Fudge Company.