Disembarkation at a port other than the final destination

Weluv2cruise2007

We're on a transatlantic in Sep and disembarking in Halifax instead of NY. I didn't think to ask...does anyone know when we need to be off the ship? Can we come and go right up until just before it sets sail again or will they expect us to disembark in the morning? I didn't think to ask!

I don't know about Halifax but out here on the wet coast when people want to disembark in Victoria instead of going on to Vancouver or Seattle they are assigned a time in the morning, shortly after arrival as the dis-embarkation has to be co-ordinated with CBSA. Which is a long way of say I suspect you will have to disembark in the morning at a prescribed time.

If you're talking about the last day of the cruise (else, I'm confused about your itinerary), everyone who isn't on a back-to-back, must disembark by a certain time so that the cabin stewards can prepare the cabins for the next set of passengers. I've never been lucky to do a B-B, but there will be complete instructions of what you need to do (where to report to get your new cabin card, etc.).

If you're talking about the last day of the cruise (else' date=' I'm confused about your itinerary), everyone who isn't on a back-to-back, must disembark by a certain time so that the cabin stewards can prepare the cabins for the next set of passengers. I've never been lucky to do a B-B, but there will be complete instructions of what you need to do (where to report to get your new cabin card, etc.).[/quote']

I believe the cruise the OP is on terminates in NYC. Halifax is one port of call (the final one before NYC).

I don't know about Halifax but out here on the wet coast when people want to disembark in Victoria instead of going on to Vancouver or Seattle they are assigned a time in the morning, shortly after arrival as the dis-embarkation has to be co-ordinated with CBSA. Which is a long way of say I suspect you will have to disembark in the morning at a prescribed time.

Most likely you are correct, that the Canadian Customs will have a set time that they will be there to clear you off the ship, and they won't want to wait around until you decide you want to get off.

We're on a transatlantic in Sep and disembarking in Halifax instead of NY. I didn't think to ask...does anyone know when we need to be off the ship? Can we come and go right up until just before it sets sail again or will they expect us to disembark in the morning? I didn't think to ask!
ised Princess on this?

I imagine you already advised Princess on this?

While you may have to clear customs at a certain time, I don't see why you would not have access to the ship until it departs. Your luggage may be off the ship but its facilities should be available to you right until departure.

After all, other passengers can come and go all day long without being scrutinized by customs.

Once the O.P. has cleared Customs I doubt they would be able to re-board the ship.

One reason would be that when presenting to the Customs agent with luggage and purchases made outside the Country a formal declaration is provided. If the O.P. was able then to re-board what would prevent them from stopping back into their stateroom and picking up that Rolex watch that hadn't been declared ?

I would suspect once off the ship and cleared through Customs there would be no re-boarding.

Think it through, this is no different than clearing Customs at your final port. When you leave the ship, you can't get back on, and for the O.P. Halifax is their final port.

Edited by WpgCruise