Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zadar

I was looking very seriously at the Constellation May 19, 2016 cruise out of Venice. One of the stops is Zadar. I was thinking about taking a tour to Plitvice Lakes National Park. I have seen a few posts of people that were going to go but I did not see any feedback.

Thus, I am looking for as much as information as possible

What private company did you use?

How long was the drive. It looks like 1.5 to 2 hours each way?

Was it worth the time and effort?

How much time was on trails and how difficult is the hike?

Was there enough time to get back to the boat without worrying about missing the boat?

This seems to be a relatively new port so I have not seen too much information.

We visited Plitvice during a land tour, so I can only answer some of your questions.

Plitvice Lakes NP is absolutely beautiful! We spent a day and a night there. We spent many hours hiking both lower and upper lakes and took a boat ride. The hiking was pretty easy.

I am not sure whether you will have enough time to do an excursion from Zadar. However, it is unlikely that you will be able to see the entire park.

We also were there as part of a land trip. The park is stunning even on a freezing cold October day. We walked part of it (easy and level for the most part) and took one ferry ride. It is well laid out.

Here is a map showing the drive. Notice there are two routes: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Zadar,+Croatia/Plitvice+Lakes+National+Park,+Croatia/@44.4908184,14.9056522,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4761fa62d2c0b88f:0x12323e1c13f40784!2m2!1d15.2313648!2d44.119371!1m5!1m1!1s0x47615e6cfed90f3d:0x51a8ff8379a5e70!2m2!1d15.582012!2d44.865397

• 3 weeks later...

We did it a couple of years ago. We rented a car with a GPS within walking distance of the ship in Zadar (and asked the guy to program it with our destination before we left), and had a wonderful day. It really is breathtaking.

Edited by HMS Mom

• 3 years later...
On 6/29/2015 at 9:44 AM, brm said:

I was looking very seriously at the Constellation May 19, 2016 cruise out of Venice. One of the stops is Zadar. I was thinking about taking a tour to Plitvice Lakes National Park. I have seen a few posts of people that were going to go but I did not see any feedback.

Thus, I am looking for as much as information as possible

What private company did you use?

How long was the drive. It looks like 1.5 to 2 hours each way?

Was it worth the time and effort?

How much time was on trails and how difficult is the hike?

Was there enough time to get back to the boat without worrying about missing the boat?

This seems to be a relatively new port so I have not seen too much information.

Did you end up going to Plitvice Lakes?  If so, what company did you use and would you use them again?  Any other info about the tour would be appreciated.

Chris

Unfortunately for you, we did not book this cruise but ended up on another Adriatic cruise on Holland American in 2017.  Thus, we did not stop in Zadar.  It is all a fabulous region so I am sure you will have a great time.