Help me decide! Magic or Glory with a toddler and teenager

Taylors

Deep in the thick of choosing a family cruise for next February. We'll have 2 thirty somethings, 2 seniors, a 2.5 year old and a 17 year old. The seniors and teenager have cruised once (10 years ago) My husband and I have cruised several times. I may have it narrowed down to these two ships, both Eastern Caribbean itineraries. Because of the toddler I don't anticipate us doing many excursions because he's not old enough for most. So that is a factor in port selection. My parents (the seniors) and Husband are no help.. they are all leaving the decision to me. Who wants to help me decide?!?!

Magic goes to Key West, Nassau, and Freeport. - Key West is our only repeat port.

Glory goes to St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, and Half Moon cay. - San Juan and St Thomas would be repeats.

Magic looks like it may have more activities for the teen? And Nassau could be fun. I think we would look into a pass to Atlantis (anyone done this? worth the price?) I also think that the Ocean Camp for the toddler looks fun (how does this differ from Camp Carnival?) Also has an extra sea day, I like the relaxation of sea days so this is a positive for me! Biggest draw back and hesitation I have is that we've cruised out of Galveston before, and the airport to port is pretty inconvenient..

Glory has the Guys burger bar which my husband and father are pretty excited about. I would prefer to spend a couple days in Miami over Huston before/after the cruise. We've cruised out of Miami before and found it a breeze. San Juan holds a special place as that's where my husband proposed to me and it would be nice to take our son and my parents to the place he did it. We've always by chance been on a conquest class ship so we are already familiar with it (this could be a positive or negative!)

TIA!

As you can tell by my siggy, I love the Magic. We first sailed when my boys were 6 and 10. They both loved it. There is a really nice waterpark type thing with slides for your oldest and splash area for the toddler. The teen would probably also love the ropes course, which was a hit. My friends sailed the Magic and the Glory and her son, who was 6 then 7, said he liked the Magic a lot better (mostly for the ropes course I believe!) I don't know much about Camp Ocean, but Night Owls was my kid's favorite thing there.

Check into Galveston Express, if you haven't already. We will most likely stay overnight in Houston and use this company for transfers in the morning. Very reasonably priced.

I can't help on the destinations...I haven't been to those.

I'm looking at similar cruises with a 2.5 year old, so I'll be interested in the responses you get.

The Glory route is the better one for ports, in my opinion. I was on that itinerary a couple of years ago. At Grand Turk, the ship basically parks at a beach area, so it would be very convenient for the little one, though I've heard others say there isn't enough to do there. We missed Half Moon Cay on our voyage due to weather, which is sad because I was really looking forward to it.

I've seen the Key West, Freeport, Nassau route called the worst itinerary in the Caribbean more than once here. Personally, I enjoyed Atlantis, though it was pricey. I did not get a day pass for the beach/pools/water park. We bought an admission to the aquarium area at the resort, though this was several years ago. I've not been to Freeport, and Key West is only ok for me.

However, Magic is a newer, bigger ship. It was a water park area that I think my toddler will love, provided she's potty trained by then.

Edited by wampuscat7

I would choose the Glory for the ports: Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk are easy beach days requiring no travel time/money. Glory also has Guy's burgers.

Magic has the advantage of the waterpark and ropes course, but the itinerary stinks, IMO. My child loved the mini-slide and splash area on Dream/Breeze, but I would choose the Glory for the ports, especially HMC. Plus, I would rather sail from Miami vs Galveston. I prefer 4 ports on a 7-day cruise, too.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the Magic is the winner ship wise and will keep the teen more content. He's already not too thrilled with the idea of not having cell service at sea.. how did any of us survive before smart phones..

I agree the ports are better on the other, and transportation to/from the airport is better. I just looked up the breeze and there are no great sailings when we are planning on going. But that looks like it'd be the best of both!

Although I think the Magic is a newer ship, the ports, to me, are the worst of the them. Atlantis is beautiful, but I think it's overpriced. Freeport doesn't offer anything unless you take a cab somewhere or book an excursion.

If it were me, I'd wait until Magic starts sailing from Pt Canaveral and then there will be far better ports on that ship.

The ports on Glory far outweigh the newness of Magic. We have sailed on Glory many times and it's a great ship.

I think that by the time you sail, the low price internet service using Facebook will be available. The teen could use that to keep in touch with his friends.

Lots of things need to be considered, but I am sure you will make the right choice for your family. Good luck!

This is a tough one but I think I would probably go with itinerary and Guy's on this one so that would be the Glory.

One thing that the Magic will have going for it over the Glory is that it has the Deluxe OV rooms that's a little larger and also has two bathrooms! If the kids will be in the same room with you, that would be a benefit to consider.

If you do pick the Magic, one suggestion I would make for Nassau is the check into Breezes resort. It's an all-inclusive resort that looks great and is a fraction of the cost of Atlantis. MikeyA53 did a great review of a cruise and has some great pics of the place. It's on my list of things to do when we go in April. Nassau is one of those ports that I would say you DEFINITELY need to have some type of activity planned. Don't try to freestyle there.

Edited by Singer4Him