Need help deciding on a beach

New2cruise1483

We are going to be in Antigua in Septemer, and I'm looking for a beach that has a restaurant with decent restrooms and loungers and umbrellas for rent. I've been looking at Valley Church Beach, but I've heard that it has a drop off a few feet within the water, and my mom wouldn't do well with that so she wouldn't be able to enjoy the water. I'm looking for a beach that has a nice gentle slope and that hopefully isn't too crowded. Looking forward to any input :-).

• 3 weeks later...

we did a day pass at jolly beach resort and ther beach was so gentle. you get breakfast, lunch and all drinks, the b4each and thier pools for 75$ unless yu can get 10 or more you get a 10% discount. we got 40 people from our ship to go and it was so quiet and peaceful

We were in Antigua last week and did a DIY excursion to Darkwood Beach. It's about 30 minutes from St. John cruise terminal. We took a taxi and it was $8/pp one way. There is also a bus that is $1-2 per person. We arrived at about 11am and stayed for about 4 hours. They offer 2 lounge chairs and a bucket of Carib beer for $25. There is a small restaurant with a variety of choices and reasonable prices. There are changing rooms and restrooms. The beach is well groomed, few waves, and a nice slope into the clear, blue water. If we're ever in Antigua again, we'd visit Darkwood Beach. Enjoy your time there!

we did a day pass at jolly beach resort and ther beach was so gentle. you get breakfast, lunch and all drinks, the b4each and thier pools for 75$ unless yu can get 10 or more you get a 10% discount. we got 40 people from our ship to go and it was so quiet and peaceful

That sounds nice, do you have to, purchase them in advance, or can you just show up and purchase the pass?

We were in Antigua last week and did a DIY excursion to Darkwood Beach. It's about 30 minutes from St. John cruise terminal. We took a taxi and it was $8/pp one way. There is also a bus that is $1-2 per person. We arrived at about 11am and stayed for about 4 hours. They offer 2 lounge chairs and a bucket of Carib beer for $25. There is a small restaurant with a variety of choices and reasonable prices. There are changing rooms and restrooms. The beach is well groomed, few waves, and a nice slope into the clear, blue water. If we're ever in Antigua again, we'd visit Darkwood Beach. Enjoy your time there!

That sounds lovely! Is there a fair amount of shade or umbrellas available for purchase?

We are going to be in Antigua in Septemer, and I'm looking for a beach that has a restaurant with decent restrooms and loungers and umbrellas for rent. I've been looking at Valley Church Beach, but I've heard that it has a drop off a few feet within the water, and my mom wouldn't do well with that so she wouldn't be able to enjoy the water. I'm looking for a beach that has a nice gentle slope and that hopefully isn't too crowded. Looking forward to any input :-).

Jacqui O's

An Oasis of class -

Everything you would wish for, and away from the Cruise Herds - Take Lunch - but book in advance and spoil your Mother :D

https://www.facebook.com/JacquiOsBeachHouseAntigua

Thank you for the suggestion Port Royal, but I'm actually looking for something we don't have to make reservations in advance for. My Mom is taking chemo right now for ovarian cancer, so some days she doesn't always feel her best, and if there is a day she isn't feeling up to par we will just stay on the ship that day and relax. I am just afraid of being obligated to something and not be able to make it. I am looking into them for my next trip inAntigua in 2016 with my BF though :D

Thank you for the suggestion Port Royal, but I'm actually looking for something we don't have to make reservations in advance for. My Mom is taking chemo right now for ovarian cancer, so some days she doesn't always feel her best, and if there is a day she isn't feeling up to par we will just stay on the ship that day and relax. I am just afraid of being obligated to something and not be able to make it. I am looking into them for my next trip inAntigua in 2016 with my BF though :D

JO is a classy place - Send them a message or give them a call.

I know they will fully understand your situation, and be very flexible if you just make a provisional booking, then do not show. ;)

Hopefully, your DM will be able to make the visit, and knowing JO there will be much spoiling of your DM.

I know of a sofa, in dappled shade, overlooking the sea, that has your DM name on it.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Don't bother trying Jacqui O's it is closed until November. Lots of better beach bars at far more reasonably prices. Castaways, Dennis's, OJ's Beachlimerz or Coconut Grove are all great at reasonable prices.

Don't bother trying Jacqui O's it is closed until November. Lots of better beach bars at far more reasonably prices. Castaways, Dennis's, OJ's Beachlimerz or Coconut Grove are all great at reasonable prices.

Okay, JO in mind for the future for a day of classy shabby chic.

Just had a thought.

As classy spoiling of DM is paramount, may one suggest you speak to Curtain Bluff, explain your situation, asking if it would be possible for DM to spend the day with CB. Again, I have no doubt CB would be ameniable. ;)

http://www.curtainbluff.com

This place looks lovely as well! I will definitely look into it more :D

Personal assistance:

When speaking to CB, mention in passing that friends of the "Web" family send their very best regards.

They will understand :D ;)

Okay, JO in mind for the future for a day of classy shabby chic.

Just had a thought.

As classy spoiling of DM is paramount, may one suggest you speak to Curtain Bluff, explain your situation, asking if it would be possible for DM to spend the day with CB. Again, I have no doubt CB would be ameniable. ;)

http://www.curtainbluff.com

Was there a few months ago. Beautiful area.

Does the Curtain Bluff offer day passes? It looks beautiful!!

If so, cost of taxi there? Cost of day pass?

If we just want to go to the beach part, not use their pool, and get our own snack/drink at the bar, is there a charge for that?

Past guests are welcomed for the day, and they send a car to collect us.

No idea if they offer paid day passes, but doubt it, or the price of a cab. But

suggest you contact them direct to answer all questions.

A "must stay" for decering guests taking a vacation in Antigua.

If you have an interest in a villa on the Bluff, best to add your name to the waiting list.

I introduced the OP to CB, solely as I considered them having worth and merit.

Where are these located? We enjoy a good beach bar and would like to have a fun relaxing day on the beach.

The last time I was in Antigua we went to Valley Church Beach. It was beautiful but getting out of the water was tough because a lot of the beach was eroded and it was super mushy sand trying to get out. Is it like that there? I have a torn meniscus and struggle with stability in mush like that.

Thanks.

Here's some information I found while planning a visit:

$95 Adult/$47.50 Child 2-11 yrs. 10:30am-6pm. Beach Grill; Afternoon Tea; Unlimited Drinks; Non-motorized Water Sports; Mini Golf; Swimming Pools. Rooms avail. +$50. Photos look beautiful. verandah.guestservices at candw.ag

That sounds nice, do you have to, purchase them in advance, or can you just show up and purchase the pass?

you just send them an email and pay when you get there. if you dont go you dont pay. it was so wonderful we went back the next week when the ship stopped there again. even with us bringing 40 people your beach chair was like 30 feet away from anyone else. it was almost like a private beach. the staff was wonderfully friendly. you get free wifi in the lounge. you have to take a taxi to get to it and make sure they take you to the resort and not the beach next to it. there was plenty of shade or the thatched umbrellas. the water was not rough at all.

Edited by kassimer1

Where are these located? We enjoy a good beach bar and would like to have a fun relaxing day on the beach.

If you wish is for a classy shabby chic beach bar away from the cruise herds, to enjoy your day, then there is only one choice.

https://www.facebook.com/JacquiOsBeachHouseAntigua

It is about a mile before Turners Beach on the road to Nelson's Dockyard.

How far from port and cost of cab? Do you contact and reserve or show up?

Suggest for Lunch [the House Gourmet Burger etc :)]you book. Same for a Beach Day with drinks, just out of courtesy (it is good to talk).

Cocktails are great. Service is wonderful.

Shared Taxi there is $12/14.00 each (drop off by the taxi on the way to Turners Beach)

When ready to leave, JO will arrange for a taxi back to the ship. :D

ENJOY!