Tipping question

I haven't found this on the boards but was wondering about tipping. We've only cruised Carnival before and always leave our daily tip on the room but we also tip our waitstaff and steward extra in person. Is this a common practice on river cruising also? We leave in a couple of weeks and wanted to get the budget straight. Thanks in advance, Joyce

They add the auto gratuities to your onboard account

When we went they had one sitting with open dining so we never had the same crew every night but I suppose you can tip extra if you choose

Our room attendant did her basic job most of the time so we did not leave extra on other cruises we do but she was next to useless

Enjoy the cruise ..prepare to relax ;)

They add the auto gratuities to your onboard account

Thanks. We've prepaid our gratuities and never found an instance when they would be removed because the crew usually does everything we expect them to do. Just wasn't sure with a mostly American crew if they look for "extra tips" to maybe help them work a little harder. :)

Definitely planning to relax on this cruise. In fact I just now pulled out my cruising "stuff" to see what I want to take. That's usually done at least a month before an ocean cruise. Maybe since we haven't been able to get to our pontoon boat this year due to high water, I'm looking forward to just floating along and doing nothing. Not even freaking out about shore excursions. This river cruising could be habit forming.

We had fabulous service and tipped extra to our cabin steward, our waiter and his assistant. We had the same waitstaff for entire cruise. Our cabin steward brought us coffee and rolls every morning, made sure we always had ice and was extremely responsive to our needs. I can't say enough about our wonderful waitstaff!

We were on American Queen found the staff very hard working (except for one)

Yes it is nice just to sit back & enjoy the scenery

We just did their hoho bus or walked around the town we did the Pittsburg to Cincinnati route

Would like to do the West Coast one someday

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Thanks Lynda and Lyn. Now another question about the hop on hop off bus. Does it only stop at the designated spots or can you ask to be let off in between? We want to do the Segway tour in LaCrosse, WI which the bus goes right in front of. I know we have to go to one of the spots to be picked up but was hoping we could get off in between.

Joyce

Thanks Lynda and Lyn. Now another question about the hop on hop off bus. Does it only stop at the designated spots or can you ask to be let off in between? We want to do the Segway tour in LaCrosse, WI which the bus goes right in front of. I know we have to go to one of the spots to be picked up but was hoping we could get off in between.

Joyce

Depends on the driver we saw him pick up some people inbetween the stops on our cruise

Just ask