Huge price difference between inside/outside??

I don't understand why they don't have more cabins with floor to ceiling windows

If they have space for a floor to ceiling window, they would normally put a balcony in as they make more money from those, being higher value.

The oceanviews are usually lower levels, in the hull, where they need more strength.

If they have space for a floor to ceiling window, they would normally put a balcony in as they make more money from those, being higher value.

The oceanviews are usually lower levels, in the hull, where they need more strength.

They have done that on a couple of the older , but still modern ,ships that were built pre balcony days. They just cut the porthole bigger, put in strong sliding doors and weld a row of balconies onto the side of the ship. I think Celebrity Century and Paul Gauguin have been modified like that.

We are booked on back to back cruises on Voyager of the Seas starting 27th Nov. what we have done is 7 nights in a promenade stateroom ( we have always done balcony before) then second cruise to get the points up to Diamond we have selected a junior suite. So across the two cruises it averages a very reasonable price. Counting the days down.

I dont see the appeal of an oceanview.

If money is tight, I would go for an inside - great for sleeping in and of course saving money.

If I have more money to spend, I would book a balcony. Fresh air and great views approaching and departing ports.

My friend on the other hand only books ocean views. Her favourite oceanviews are on deck 4 of the radiance. There is a small section of oceanview cabins behind guest services which offer bigger than normal size windows.

I loved our corner aft balcony on voyager as it was so large.

Recently we were inside on rhapsody and I would have loved to have had an outside cabin.

Prices dropped 3 days after I booked and paid in full. I paid $949 pp for an inside and ocean view came down to $1117. No I was not allowed to change and that hurt.

If the price difference is huge I would stick with an inside but if only minimal then outside all the way.

Once you experienced a balcony it's hard to go back.

I loved our corner aft balcony on voyager as it was so large.

Did you find you spent more time on your balcony, when you had the large balcony? We did, which we enjoyed. However, I thought this was a negative, as we didn't mix with fellow passengers as much as usual.

Booked a bermuda cruise inpromtu after a long period of medical treatment.....started with a balcony and up sold to a penthouse aft within days....best nap I ever had anywhere....heaven....until the next day when I had another one!....def a balcony girl...

Did you find you spent more time on your balcony, when you had the large balcony? We did, which we enjoyed. However, I thought this was a negative, as we didn't mix with fellow passengers as much as usual.

We have an autistic child and for us it was a relief from the crowds and downtime for him. We used it like our lounge room. Due to not being able to eat in the dining room we got a lot of room service and ate out there.

It was amazing.

We have an autistic child and for us it was a relief from the crowds and downtime for him. We used it like our lounge room. Due to not being able to eat in the dining room we got a lot of room service and ate out there.

It was amazing.

I can see it would be a blessing for you.

We enjoyed the luxury, and it was only afterwards that I realised that we didn't explore the ship/mix as much as normal.

Although we enjoyed having a balcony on Sun Princess we found the balcony furniture rather uncomfortable - very hard chairs with no footrest.

We had an inside cabin of Rhapsody and managed to find a quiet, sheltered spot on deck with comfortable sunloungers so didn't really miss having a balcony.

Although we enjoyed having a balcony on Sun Princess we found the balcony furniture rather uncomfortable - very hard chairs with no footrest.

We had an inside cabin of Rhapsody and managed to find a quiet, sheltered spot on deck with comfortable sunloungers so didn't really miss having a balcony.

To us a balcony is about being able to see hear and smell the ocean, but I do spend more time in our cabin than most people.

Same here. That little deck outside the solarium is nearly always quiet and protected. Great spot on Rhapsody (and only a short stroll for a roast beef roll or a piece of fruit)

Same here. That little deck outside the solarium is nearly always quiet and protected. Great spot on Rhapsody (and only a short stroll for a roast beef roll or a piece of fruit)

It is the perfect spot, isn't it. ;)

Shame Rhapsody has left our shores. I did enjoy that ship.

To us a balcony is about being able to see hear and smell the ocean, but I do spend more time in our cabin than most people.

The secret spot on Rhapsody was like being on a giant balcony - open to the breeze, and sight, sound and smell of the ocean, but sheltered from above and, depending where you sat, from too much breeze.

The secret spot on Rhapsody was like being on a giant balcony - open to the breeze, and sight, sound and smell of the ocean, but sheltered from above and, depending where you sat, from too much breeze.

But I can't crash there when the back's bad.

It is the perfect spot, isn't it. ;)

Shame Rhapsody has left our shores. I did enjoy that ship.

I would go on rhapsody again in a heart beat!

Out of all our cruises she would have to be the best. The crew from the captain down were amazing.

I spoke to the captain during a formal photo session with guests and he was such a loverly man. Wanted to know how my son and I were enjoying the cruise and asked if all his crew were treating my son well which of course they all were.

Loved the beef rolls at the solarium cafe.

Those beef rolls were indeed delish!

I loved the ship but I thought that overall Royal Caribbean wasn't as good as Princess. The staff were great and tried very hard to give superb service but it was very obvious that they were understaffed in some areas, particularly bar staff and waiters in the Centrum, and MDR waiters at breakfast and lunch. And with the falling Aussie dollar RCI isn't great value for money, especially if you want to drink alcohol during your cruise.

It will be very interesting to see what effect the new Princess Australian region drinks package has on RCI pricing next season. From what I've seen so far, Princess tends to have higher fares than RCI but they are more than evened out by onboard costs.

However I'm so glad that you and your son had a great cruise.

With more ships in our region it will be interesting to see if they fill them or if we can get some last minute bargains.

The falling dollar will make people think twice before spending money on a RCI ship.

People on our cruise were a bit shocked by there bills at the end of the 16 nights......

I just watched ours and prepaid all I could.

I try to stick to my budget. ;)

Luckily I chose not to buy the drinks packages before we boarded as they worked out cheaper buying onboard, but were still ridiculously expensive :( I did without espresso for 9 days as it wasn't worth buying the Ultimate package over the Premium package (US $10 extra) for one coffee a day. I drink tea with breakfast and was quite happy with that during the day. DH had the Ultimate package as he likes fresh orange juice at breakfast and espresso.

I think we got our money's worth though :D :D :D

The only extras I hadn't budgeted for was bus fares at Mare and a gorgeous rain jacket that was on special for US $34.50 - a real bargain!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On a lighter note...

A person who had never been on a cruise before was making a booking and the agent asked if they wanted an Inside or an Outside cabin..

Definitely inside , they replied....it might rain.....:D:D:D

I would never buy the drinks package. I might buy a wine package or a coffee card (not sure if RCL) have those.

I try and pre pay a lot of stuff prior to the cruise. That way I'm not hit with a huge bill at the end.

Edited by icat2000

On our first 3 cruises we had balconies (Diamond and Sapphire) and while we certainly enjoyed them all our cruises since have been inside cabins. I like to get value for money and just could not justify the price difference between balcony cabins and inside cabins. With just minimal inconvenience you can get all the benefits of a balcony elsewhere on the ship without having to pay for it. We wondered how we would cope with an inside but can honestly say it has not been a problem at all and we will continue to book them. I love the activity going on with port arrivals and departures but even for these you can get, what I would say better, views up on decks. To each his own of course and this is just our feelings on the subject.:)