How to I purchase Unlimited Laundry Package?

Juliamay

I read on another thread, recently, that they washed everything in hot if you choose "by the bag". Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Just about everything of mine needs to be washed in cold and dried on low, and I really don't need to have my clothing ruined and/or shrunk so it won't fit me anymore.

These remarks are in regard to my laundry experiences in general, not solely HAL:

At first, I found that everything was hot water/dried. Then I requested cold water/hang-dry on some items, with mixed results. I didn't plan on being able to get low dry...and still wouldn't expect that. But then, whoops--looked like they used bleach! Several items were noticeably faded. (I also remember some fabric got a small iron burn/melt--not worth mentioning to them.)

I started putting the cold/hang-dry stuff in a separate bag & that helped. But then I thought, why not just swish those things in the sink with HAL's shampoo, roll in towel & hang--as I already do with undies/swimsuits?

And reconfigure my wardrobe so I don't have to do much laundry. I always used to overestimate what I'd wear & when I got home, I noted on my daily wardrobe plan (describing in another thread) anything I didn't wear. Sometimes it was almost 1/3 of my clothes. Now I bring a lot less.

These days I just send out the stuff that is hardy. And never would risk anything important getting ruined.

Bringing me to: much as we may want to, we don't HAVE to bring our very best clothes on a cruise. Sometimes the hassles of how to pack without crushing/wrinkling (or paying for pressing), the extra space, weight of the extra pair of shoes to go with, etc., can outweigh the joy of donning the perfect outfit.

Edited by sofietucker

I read on another thread, recently, that they washed everything in hot if you choose "by the bag". Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Just about everything of mine needs to be washed in cold and dried on low, and I really don't need to have my clothing ruined and/or shrunk so it won't fit me anymore.

I can only speak for the Oosterdam laundry where I posed the question to the Laundry Manager during my Behind the Scenes Tour. All is washed in warm water unless cold is specified to save paying for damaged articles.

We have never had a laundry issue in all of our HAL cruises.

These remarks are in regard to my laundry experiences in general, not solely HAL:

At first, I found that everything was hot water/dried. Then I requested cold water/hang-dry on some items, with mixed results. I didn't plan on being able to get low dry...and still wouldn't expect that. But then, whoops--looked like they used bleach! Several items were noticeably faded. (I also remember some fabric got a small iron burn/melt--not worth mentioning to them.)

These days I just send out the stuff that is hardy. And never would risk anything important getting ruined.

Thanks for that heads up. I don't really own anything that I'd be able to wear on a cruise outside of my stateroom that I can afford to lose, so I very well may end up washing stuff in the sink. I mean, Nothing is irreplaceable that I'd be bringing, so I guess I might risk it if I could be sure they would make it right if they DID mess something up, but I'm not sure I want to go there anyway.

Bringing me to: much as we may want to, we don't HAVE to bring our very best clothes on a cruise.

Well, I actually kinda DO have to bring my very best clothes on a cruise, cause my very best stuff is really all that I have that will even pass muster for "smart casual", let alone formal/gala nights. So, this is a pretty "pressing" matter for me. (hehe.. See what I did there?)

I think I might call up ship services and ask some very specific questions about their laundry procedures and policies.

Anyone else have any experiences with cold only, no bleach, low/no heat drying laundry items on HAL (Westerdam, especially!), either positive or negative?

My sail date is approaching faster than I had imagined and I want to be fully prepared!

I'm cruising solo, so I won't have as much laundry as two or more people in a cabin. Yet, it would be nice not have to do laundry.

Since I've cruised solo for years, I fully understand that it takes a long time to fill a laundry bag by yourself. That's why I love the unlimited laundry.

In a hot climate I can come in from the day, toss everything in a bag (it isn't much), and send it out. I'm not concerned about getting my money's worth---only about getting the clothes fresh again.

In colder climates it may take a day or two to make it worth the effort, but I still love knowing the bag doesn't need to be full.

Anyone else have any experiences with cold only, no bleach, low/no heat drying laundry items on HAL (Westerdam, especially!), either positive or negative?

My sail date is approaching faster than I had imagined and I want to be fully prepared!

[/color]

Not on the Westerdam, but I've sent laundry out on lots of HAL ships and never have had an issue. That said, if there's anything I think could possibly shrink or be ruined, I won't send it out. I either bring a small bottle of Woolite or similar or use the stateroom liquid soap and wash those things in my sink. There's a pull-cord that stretches the length of the shower/tub, very handy to hang things there.

Thanks for that heads up. I don't really own anything that I'd be able to wear on a cruise outside of my stateroom that I can afford to lose, so I very well may end up washing stuff in the sink. I mean, Nothing is irreplaceable that I'd be bringing, so I guess I might risk it if I could be sure they would make it right if they DID mess something up, but I'm not sure I want to go there anyway.

Well, I actually kinda DO have to bring my very best clothes on a cruise, cause my very best stuff is really all that I have that will even pass muster for "smart casual", let alone formal/gala nights. So, this is a pretty "pressing" matter for me. (hehe.. See what I did there?)

I think I might call up ship services and ask some very specific questions about their laundry procedures and policies.

I often write on the laundry slip asking for cold wash and dry. I don't think it really does anything. I don't use the dryer on my clothes at home so I notice a difference. I think if you use the dryer at home you will not notice a difference. I only send out clothing that I'm not overly fussy about. The rest gets washed in the sink or tub.