AQ back in Madison, Indiana today!

LDVinNC

The AQ was here on Saturday and is back again today. The Ohio River is very high and I heard that she was unable to proceed to one of her scheduled stops. No problem - lots to see here. I know because we came here last summer on the AQ and loved it so much we moved here!

The AQ was here on Saturday and is back again today. The Ohio River is very high and I heard that she was unable to proceed to one of her scheduled stops. No problem - lots to see here. I know because we came here last summer on the AQ and loved it so much we moved here!

With the high water on the Mississippi, she might return to Madison again this year. She is scheduled to be in Alton, IL (near St. Louis) next Sunday, and right now it's not known if she will be able to get past Cairo, IL.

You are so right; Madison is a beautiful town!

Hmm, just called AQ and they said that the sailing for next week is still good. They had to make some modifications to the route a week or so ago but everything is looking good now "as long as they don't get anymore rain". My only travel plan to change would be the return flight if things get changed but I'd like to have a little more confidence. Did the ship sail yet from Madison?

Joyce

The last trip the AQ made began in Paducah, Kentucky and ended across the river from Cincinnati at Newport, Kentucky. The boat had to go there because of the Cincinnati Public Landing being occupied with All Star Game events. Newport is a better landing anyway, and both places can be seen from one and other.

We had more rain yesterday in the Middle Ohio River Valley, but that won't effect your trip. More rain is predicted here, but now it's sunny!

The last trip the AQ made began in Paducah, Kentucky and ended across the river from Cincinnati at Newport, Kentucky. The boat had to go there because of the Cincinnati Public Landing being occupied with All Star Game events. Newport is a better landing anyway, and both places can be seen from one and other.

We had more rain yesterday in the Middle Ohio River Valley, but that won't effect your trip. More rain is predicted here, but now it's sunny!

Thanks. We're staying with friends in STL before we sail and they're keeping our car so we don't have to pay for airport parking. They even volunteered to pick us up at the airport. Everything is no charge except the flight. They had called us a couple of days ago to see if the cruise was impacted by the flooding and we said no. Can't wait to get onboard and relax.

If the boat can't get to St. Louis (Alton, Il.) your trip will more than likely go from Paducah to Cincinnati. The company will bus you to Paducah from St. Louis if that's the case, but let's hope it's not! Mother Nature can be quite fickle though.

I just saw a video of the Eads Bridge - no way the AQ can pass underneath it and go to Alton right now.

I also checked the Earth Cam overlooking the St. Louis riverfront... No way for the AQ to land there. There used to be a large cobblestone levee and a street in front of the Arch... nothing right now :eek::eek:!

steamboats

I just saw a video of the Eads Bridge - no way the AQ can pass underneath it and go to Alton right now.

I also checked the Earth Cam overlooking the St. Louis riverfront... No way for the AQ to land there. There used to be a large cobblestone levee and a street in front of the Arch... nothing right now :eek::eek:!

steamboats

The reconstruction going on at the Landing is why they're berthing in Alton, IL instead of St Louis. I just looked at a river forecast and it's supposed to crest in Alton at 7 AM tomorrow at 27.4 ft which is minor flood stage. It's cresting tomorrow overnight in St Louis at 34 ft which is also minor flood stage.

If the boat can't get to St. Louis (Alton, Il.) your trip will more than likely go from Paducah to Cincinnati. The company will bus you to Paducah from St. Louis if that's the case, but let's hope it's not! Mother Nature can be quite fickle though.

I hope that's not the case also. We're on a fam cruise so not covered by the normal things that cruisers have. And our airline tickets are from St Paul. Guess I'll keep phone numbers handy in case I have to make changes in plans. And a bus ride from St Louis to Paducah won't be short (about 3 hours).

I'm supposed to be sailing from St. Louis (round trip, upriver and back down) on Aug 23. But, we'll be leaving from home around Aug 3, in our RV, and will have limited internet. I called AQ today to be sure they my phone number and instructions to call us if there are any changes. I learned the boat will not currently sail below Paducah because they definitely can't fit under the Cairo, IL bridge. Of course, no one knows what the river will do in the next few weeks, but We've already been to Paducah twice on AQ, we've been up the Ohio River to Louisville, we've been on the Cumberland to Dover and the Tennessee to Chattanooga. I really don't want to sail any of those for our 50th anniversary; we were looking forward to a part of the river we've never traveled.

Oh, I'm just venting. I know it is what it is; I just really hope that nature takes a turn in the next 5 weeks....

I'm supposed to be sailing from St. Louis (round trip, upriver and back down) on Aug 23. But, we'll be leaving from home around Aug 3, in our RV, and will have limited internet. I called AQ today to be sure they my phone number and instructions to call us if there are any changes. I learned the boat will not currently sail below Paducah because they definitely can't fit under the Cairo, IL bridge. Of course, no one knows what the river will do in the next few weeks, but We've already been to Paducah twice on AQ, we've been up the Ohio River to Louisville, we've been on the Cumberland to Dover and the Tennessee to Chattanooga. I really don't want to sail any of those for our 50th anniversary; we were looking forward to a part of the river we've never traveled.

Oh, I'm just venting. I know it is what it is; I just really hope that nature takes a turn in the next 5 weeks....

A lot of water will go under the bridge between now and August 23! I wouldn't be worrying any yet.

I just came on here to post that she made it under the Cairo Bridge and is on her way up the Mississippi. You beat me to the punch. Her first mate Brian posted a video overthere (sic.) of her safely squeezing under the bridge, but there are more bridges and power lines that she'll have to deal with on her trip upriver

On that other site there are photos by her Mate of the AQ passing Cape Girardeau, MO. So she is way past where AIS currently shows her. Also the river is falling at St. Louis!

Just got off the phone with AQ and they said that we will be on a bus southbound to the boat in Cape Girardeau instead of boarding north of STL in Alton. My head is spinning with all the changes we're making because we tried to do the cheap thing and stay with a friend the night before instead of at the hotel.

Just need to keep reminding myself that this is a relaxing vacation. They aren't sure if the ports will be the same or if they'll have to change due to the additional travel time from Cape.

Joyce

In Paducah this morning with a lot of angry people. Only 238 passengers since a lot canceled.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update.

I can understand folks cancelling as they have seen the Ohio River between Cairo and Cincinnati before, but to be angry? The American Queen Steamboat Co. would much prefer to be having their boat steaming up to St. Paul as this is typed. If folks are angry because of the company not letting them know the changes till the last minute AQSC is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If the boat could have made it to Alton at the last minute everyone would be happy now.

My advice is to enjoy the Ohio River. There is a reason it's called The Beautiful Ohio! Henderson is a nice little town, Louisville has interesting sites, and Madison, Indiana is a jewel box of a town with lovely homes, and a main street that looks like a Hollywood set. Perhaps the boat will even steam above Cincinnati to Augusta, Kentucky and land. Augusta is the home of George Clooney and his aunt Rosie kept a vacation home there which is now open to the public. Last year in a similar situation they traveled there, so it is possible.

Those that are seething need to get a life, and realize Mother nature is stronger than they are. Enjoy your cruise, and I look forward to your updates.

Thanks again!

Is it because of the water levels ??

Hope you enjoy the cruise

There was no possible way for the boat to get under the Eads Bridge in St. Louis, so it's either the boat is too big, the water too high or the bridges are too low! Take your pick. ;)