Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC card VS Sandisk Extreme Plus which one to buy

Headed to Alaska again. The last time I was told not to get too large SD card because the could have issues. It was suggested to use a 16 GB and have one for each day of the trip.

I am using the cards in a Canon Rebel 4ti.

Last time I went to Alaska I used the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC card. The speed is up to 95 MB/s 633x. The SD card has the numbers 1 & 10 3D--what do these numbers mean? I am not able to find the 16 GB cards in my area but they are available on-line. I don't have enough time before the trip to receive the cards in time. I currently have two new cards for the trip.

I am not sure if this card has been discontinued.

I am able to find the SanDisk Extreme Plus in the stores. It has the numbers 3 & 10 and 4K ultra HD on the card. It's speed is 80 MB/s 533x.

Other than that the speed per second is slower are they similar? what is the difference between the numbers 1 & 3.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Headed to Alaska again. The last time I was told not to get too large SD card because the could have issues. It was suggested to use a 16 GB and have one for each day of the trip.

I am using the cards in a Canon Rebel 4ti.

Last time I went to Alaska I used the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC card. The speed is up to 95 MB/s 633x. The SD card has the numbers 1 & 10 3D--what do these numbers mean? I am not able to find the 16 GB cards in my area but they are available on-line. I don't have enough time before the trip to receive the cards in time. I currently have two new cards for the trip.

I am not sure if this card has been discontinued.

I am able to find the SanDisk Extreme Plus in the stores. It has the numbers 3 & 10 and 4K ultra HD on the card. It's speed is 80 MB/s 533x.

Other than that the speed per second is slower are they similar? what is the difference between the numbers 1 & 3.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Class 10 indicates a minimum read/write speed of 10MB/s

UHS 1 also indicates a minimum read/write speed of 10MB/s (newer specification)

UHS 3 indicates a minimum read/write speed of 30MB/s

Both actually exceed the minimum spec by quite a bit and either can read and write faster than your camera requires.

The Extreme plus is rated at 80MB/s read speed and 60MB/s write speed while the older Extreme Pro is 95MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed (the newer Extreme Pros are nearly 3x faster).

If the price is significantly less on one or the other, go for the price. Both are excellent cards from a quality manufacturer. The only caveat is to stick with known vendors like Amazon or a major retail store. Ebay is rife with counterfeit memory cards.

I personally use the Extreme Pros because they were much faster than the Extreme's at the time and I get impatient while downloading. :) Were I to buy right now, I would likely still go with the Pros if the price was close. If it was a significant difference, the Plus cards might win. The read performance is what I am looking at since the write exceeds the needs of almost any camera out there.

Enjoy Alaska!

Dave

Class 10 indicates a minimum read/write speed of 10MB/s

UHS 1 also indicates a minimum read/write speed of 10MB/s (newer specification)

UHS 3 indicates a minimum read/write speed of 30MB/s

Both actually exceed the minimum spec by quite a bit and either can read and write faster than your camera requires.

The Extreme plus is rated at 80MB/s read speed and 60MB/s write speed while the older Extreme Pro is 95MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed (the newer Extreme Pros are nearly 3x faster).

If the price is significantly less on one or the other, go for the price. Both are excellent cards from a quality manufacturer. The only caveat is to stick with known vendors like Amazon or a major retail store. Ebay is rife with counterfeit memory cards.

I personally use the Extreme Pros because they were much faster than the Extreme's at the time and I get impatient while downloading. :) Were I to buy right now, I would likely still go with the Pros if the price was close. If it was a significant difference, the Plus cards might win. The read performance is what I am looking at since the write exceeds the needs of almost any camera out there.

Enjoy Alaska!

Dave

Dave,

I was hoping you would chime in on the topic. Are both still good for shooting HD video on the camera? Hoping to get some nice glacier calving while in Glacier Bay.

The last time I went to Alaska you helped me with Hoya Polarizing filters.

Thanks again for helping everyone on this forum!

Dave,

I was hoping you would chime in on the topic. Are both still good for shooting HD video on the camera? Hoping to get some nice glacier calving while in Glacier Bay.

The last time I went to Alaska you helped me with Hoya Polarizing filters.

Thanks again for helping everyone on this forum!

Thanks for the kind words!

In answer to your video question. Yes.

Both cards exceed the requirements of your camera's HD video output. The Plus is rated for Full HD and (1080p) and Full HD 3D recording and the Pro will handle 4K video as well.

Dave

Edited by pierces

There is really no need to bring one card for each day of the trip, especially if you are bringing a laptop. You can just download each night and then reformat the card and be ready for the next day. (You can also bring an external hard drive and do a back up to that if you are paranoid about losing the photos).

There are several sites which compare write speeds for particular cameras.

Here is one for a T6i

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-t6s-t6i/sd-card-comparison/

If I can find the site I had the other day I will post it. It had all the cameras read write speeds and the read and write speeds of all the cards.

I determined I did not need the Extreme Pro for my 6D but got them anyway. From memory I think the write speed for the 6D was less than 50 so the Extreme Plus would be ok.