Booking excursions

Aj101710

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are going on a RC cruise March 26th - April 2nd. We are going to Belize City, Roatan, Coasta Maya, and Cozumel. I have 2 questions.

1. When is the best time to book airfare? I have watched the price go from $800 to over $1,000 total in just a few months. (we live in Seattle) Do you think it's better by now in advance or wait till last minute. I'm not sure says this is a peak season for traveling to the Caribbean, and we've only sell to the Caribbean in the off-season.

2. My second question is similar to the first one, but, instead of asking about airfare I was curious about shore excursions. I'm not exactly sure when to book shore excursions. I do not want to book with a private company and have them forget that we book with them if we book too early in advance, but I also don't want to get stuck having to book with the cruise ship and be in a extremely large group. (Unless it's by choice)

Thanks in advance. 😊

--Alexandrea

Hello Alexandrea,

I think you're always better off booking your airfare as soon as possible. The fares really start to climb the sooner it gets to your trip.

We have always booked our excursions directly with the cruise line and have always really enjoyed the tours. If you choose to book an independent tour make sure they have good reviews on http://www.Tripadvisor.com. It's also a good idea to join the Roll Call for your cruise here on Cruise Critic, often times others will be interested in a specific tour and you can join in.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Hello Alexandrea,

I think you're always better off booking your airfare as soon as possible. The fares really start to climb the sooner it gets to your trip.

We have always booked our excursions directly with the cruise line and have always really enjoyed the tours. If you choose to book an independent tour make sure they have good reviews on http://www.Tripadvisor.com. It's also a good idea to join the Roll Call for your cruise here on Cruise Critic, often times others will be interested in a specific tour and you can join in.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan for replying. We are not opposed to taking a cruise ship excursion, we booked an excursion with carnival on our last cruise, but it got cancelled due to a tropical storm. We joined a really great roll call for our last cruise, but this one is slow to get going it seems.

Good to know about the airfare. Also you are right about Tripadvisor, I really like them. Thanks again for the info.

I would know what you are willing to pay for air and when you see the price you are comfortable with book it. Check everyday for a couple of weeks but don't wait too long.

I have booked with private companies as early as one year in advance. I would book early and you can just followup with them from time to time. They won't forget you. They want your business.

Keith

1. Do not wait to book a flight until the last minute. Anything inside about 3 weeks will be very expensive. Most people purchasing last minute are business people who are less price sensitive.

2. Book excursions early, before the good ones sell out. Have you looked at the Roll Call for your cruise? Often people are planning private tours and have room for some other people

I think you should book airfare as soon as you find a price you are comfortable paying. This has happened to several people on our roll call for our cruise this January. Prices have done nothing but go up and some people are still waiting on them to go down. I don't think they will. Several are just biting the bullet and booking now. One person was in the middle of shopping around for a price she was willing to pay when she saw them go up. Don't wait too long.

As far as shore excursions, I have never sailed Royal Caribbean, but I'm doubting they are any different than any other major cruise line in this aspect. March/April is a busy time of the year for the cruise line industry. If you see an excursion that you really want to go on and you can't miss I would book it now. You have nothing to lose. I have been on sailings with several excursions sold out. Don't be the one who wanted to go and couldn't :)

I find air prices are lowest around 60-45 days out....

Excursion prices don't change...book whenever you want. They cost the same in advance as on the ship. Many things require NO excursion at all, so learn something about your ports! You can save a bundle with DIY things!

Edited by cb at sea

I find air prices are lowest around 60-45 days out....

Excursion prices don't change...book whenever you want. They cost the same in advance as on the ship. Many things require NO excursion at all, so learn something about your ports! You can save a bundle with DIY things!

I would like to try more DIY excursions, I'm just alittle nervous about doing that in the ports we aware going to. I definitely need to read more about the ports and things to do. Thanks for the advice.