Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

Thanks! I just went on my Vacation Summary and it gives me the option to prepay the $13.50 per day!!!! I'm not interested in fighting the battle on the cruise nor doing any kind of paperwork when I return. This is supposed to be my vacation. I have the UBP but always tip extra even though I prepaid the UBP gratuities. Unfortunately, I will not be tipping any additional. I apologize to the staff in advance; however, NCL is going too far....how can one have a contract in June and NCL changes it in October with no notification???? Mr. DelRio just needs to raise the cruise prices by $50pp per cruise and stop his nonsense.

I have the UBP but always tip extra even though I prepaid the UBP gratuities. Unfortunately, I will not be tipping any additional. I apologize to the staff in advance

DSC has nothing to do with bar staff's gratuities, they are not covered by it anyway. By not tipping well performing bar staff like you have used to do only hurts them, not the company.

We are in the same boat with the problem of not being able to prepay with the old rate, tried it and when our TA couldn't make it happen, am just going to ask for refund after the cruise. No biggie.

Demonytye, I am just so fired up tonight after this announcement with no notification! And I probably will cool off and tip the staff. I am just at a complete loss as to how a contract can be changed! Granted the difference is $5.50pp for the cruise but it is the principle.

What is to stop NCL in the future from changing the price of the cruise after a reservation is made?

Thanks! I just went on my Vacation Summary and it gives me the option to prepay the $13.50 per day!!!! I'm not interested in fighting the battle on the cruise nor doing any kind of paperwork when I return. This is supposed to be my vacation. I have the UBP but always tip extra even though I prepaid the UBP gratuities. Unfortunately, I will not be tipping any additional. I apologize to the staff in advance; however, NCL is going too far....how can one have a contract in June and NCL changes it in October with no notification???? Mr. DelRio just needs to raise the cruise prices by $50pp per cruise and stop his nonsense.
A few minute call should rectify the situation or a few minutes to fill out a form and scan it. What is fair is fair and you should be paying the old rate. I know it is only a few bucks, but it is the principal. Edited by NLH Arizona

Demonytye, I am just so fired up tonight after this announcement with no notification! And I probably will cool off and tip the staff. I am just at a complete loss as to how a contract can be changed! Granted the difference is $5.50pp for the cruise but it is the principle.

What is to stop NCL in the future from changing the price of the cruise after a reservation is made?

While I too dislike raising the onboard service charge after booking, the amount is not a part of the contract like your cruise price is.

Service charges are extra, just like bar and speciality restaurant prices and can change anytime. And as always, daily service charges are discretionary so you always have the power to change them.

One needs also to remember that NCL has indeed promised to honor original rates for those that have booked earlier - it's not easy to have all this kind of exceptions to work throughly for everyone (I managed to prepay $12pppd for two of three reservations our group has on the same cruise) so I see this situation just as a small technical glitch and since NCL has reportedly refunded the difference when asked, I'd say that they are trying to make things right for those that booked before the rates were raised.

After all this said, changing (raising) these and many other onboard charges already 2-3 times this year is a major factor in why we won't book with NCL in foreseeable future.

I just prepaid my DSC at $12.95 for our August Pearl cruise. I figured I'd get it over with. Who knows how long they will honor the old rates! Sure, it's only a few bucks, but who knows how much they will raise it! I'm excited and I can't wait!!!

I wasn't even able to prepay due to a glitch, and neither could my TA / NCL get it prepaid at my original rate so I did modify after the cruise.

They handed me the form. Fill it out, Scan it, email it, and 2 weeks later you have your refund. I spent less than 5 minutes total start to finish and had no line to wait on and nothing further to do.

I feel bad for the workers at the service desk. I can only imagine the abuse they have to put up with. Its not their decision to tell guests to go home and take care of this later.

Does NCL not stand behind their guest's observations and experiences to determine gratuities and service fees?

Or is this just another part of Del Rio's plan to get $50 more from every guest :eek:

I feel bad for the workers at the service desk. I can only imagine the abuse they have to put up with. Its not their decision to tell guests to go home and take care of this later.

"Hi, I'd like to change this to the agreed price when I booked. Here is a copy of my booking. I could not complete this on the website pre-cruise"

"We no longer make modifications onboard. Please use this form".

20 seconds, done and done. Very pleasant. Why should anyone be verbally abusive to guest relations at all? If they are, they are just a jerk to start with.

Does NCL not stand behind their guest's observations and experiences to determine gratuities and service fees?

Or is this just another part of Del Rio's plan to get $50 more from every guest :eek:

It's part of the plan to get more money from the passangers. My take is they use the DSC pool to pay the crew in the pool, give them some perks and pay for their expenses like air fare, food ect. The more in the pool from us the less NCL must add thus more for them. At least NCL is honest in saying it's a service charge, not a tip. I realize some like to pay really cheap fares and then pay as you go however between DSC, tips, a la cart dinning, add on cost items in all restaurants, room service charges, 18% added to lots of things NCL is really starting to seem like Walmart at sea.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

NCL is really starting to seem like Walmart at sea.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I bet that comment would make Del Rio spew coffee onto his computer screen since he is trying to raise NCL's status in the cruise industry.

I bet that comment would make Del Rio spew coffee onto his computer screen since he is trying to raise NCL's status in the cruise industry.

When I go into a Walmart the prices are clearly labeled and don't change as I shop. When I get to the register there are no unexplained fees. I don't even see how the Walmart comparison is appropriate here.

When I go into a Walmart the prices are clearly labeled and don't change as I shop. When I get to the register there are no unexplained fees. I don't even see how the Walmart comparison is appropriate here.

The closest example to compare NCL is an exclusive club membership - where you get the basic membership (base fare) and if you want particular perks to be added to the membership, you have to pay extra separately/ on top (i.e. drinks, dining, spa, etc). Can't really compare to Walmart because they stay keeping they're prices low that ANYONE can buy; while on NCL only people that don't get sticker shock from the both the base fare AND extras (DSC, drinks, a la carte dining, room service, etc) still travel with them - Big Difference.

Edited by maywell

We are 11 people on a cruise in April and booked it last May. Does anyone know what the gratuity rate was when I booked? Do we need to do a form for each person? We are the parents/grandparents paying for the cruise so I would like to get the contractual amount for tips at time of booking.

I always leave extra for our cabin service and when we sail on Celebrity we have the same service people in the MDR so I also give them something.

This is not to short any service person but it does sound like an unfair practice to change a price.

Thanks for the info.

We are 11 people on a cruise in April and booked it last May. Does anyone know what the gratuity rate was when I booked? Do we need to do a form for each person? We are the parents/grandparents paying for the cruise so I would like to get the contractual amount for tips at time of booking.

Your service charge rate should be $12.95pppd if you prepay before final payment, it should be easily added to your final payment by just asking so no refund forms would be needed.

Edited by Demonyte

I always leave extra for our cabin service and when we sail on Celebrity we have the same service people in the MDR so I also give them something.

This is not to short any service person but it does sound like an unfair practice to change a price.

Thanks for the info.

Actually there was no contractual amount when you booked as the contract specifies that prices onboard are subject to change without notice. You probably have to do one form for each portfolio, so if everyone is on the same account you would do one form, but if everyone had their own account (secured by a separate credit card) then a form would likely need to be done for each (mind you that is just a guess).

Thanks for the info.

So in actuality you do want to short the service people? You certainly aren't going to hurt NCL, just the working folks that will lose the money. You can save the 55 cents per day by paying the DSC before or at final payment. As noted, there is no contract price for DSC, it is subject to change at any time per the T&C's.

I know Del Rio attracted a lot of attention back when he made some comments about increasing revenue during a investors meeting. But since Andy Stewart is the President and CEO of NCL, shouldn't the heat and complaints be directed at him? I don't understand why he never feels the heat, he is the one implementing the changes. His boss is Del Rio, but he only sets the general direction of the parent organization, day to day decisions are made by Andy. If Andy does not like the direction of the organization, would he not leave or resist the change? Seems to me Andy is "driving the ship" so to speak. He seems to get a pass from all the complainers and Del Rio takes the brunt of it.

I know Del Rio attracted a lot of attention back when he made some comments about increasing revenue during a investors meeting. But since Andy Stewart is the President and CEO of NCL, shouldn't the heat and complaints be directed at him? I don't understand why he never feels the heat, he is the one implementing the changes. His boss is Del Rio, but he only sets the general direction of the parent organization, day to day decisions are made by Andy. If Andy does not like the direction of the organization, would he not leave or resist the change? Seems to me Andy is "driving the ship" so to speak. He seems to get a pass from all the complainers and Del Rio takes the brunt of it.

Honestly, Del Rio only talks when it comes to the earnings reports for all 3 lines, but it Stuart running the full show for NCL. If Stuart wasn't earning his keep these past 3 quarters, Del Rio would had been fire him by now - So Stuart must be doing something right with all these changes. (IMO, he mostly is - just some people don't like that Stuart "kick them to the curb", so to speak, while Del Rio takes from all the flames from them.)

Thanks for the info.

Go into your MYNCL under vacation summary for your cruise and then go to pre-pay gratuities and see if the amount is $12.95, if so as long as you pay for it by your final payment date you will be fine. If it says $13.50, I'd call NCL and ask to pay the $12.95 rate and if that doesn't work, you can always get the forms onboard during your cruise and request the difference back in a refund.

The orchestra leader has to follow the written music and only has a little latitude to stray from what is written. Thus it is for Andy Stewart. Del Rio is the one that has the vision being implemented and I am not going to blame someone lower on the food chain just because they are the ones actually implementing the changes.

Since the DSC is a service charge that goes into a pool to pay the employees salary and expenses I do not see how changing it hurts the crew. They still get their contracted pay, food, health care and transportation. It just means NCL must add more to it. If you want to reward crew personal you must still give them cash at the end.

Since the DSC is a service charge that goes into a pool to pay the employees salary and expenses I do not see how changing it hurts the crew. They still get their contracted pay, food, health care and transportation. It just means NCL must add more to it. If you want to reward crew personal you must still give them cash at the end.

The amount of contracted pay they get is very small, the rest comes from the service charges and NCL is not under any obligation to make up any shortfalls resulting from adjustments made to the service charges. (As I understand it anyway.) If NCL was actually obligated to make up any shortfall I doubt it would be so easy to make an adjustment.