American Empress Columbia River trip

ATSF1958

We booked the owner's suite last October and were not happy with the river trip. I sent a letter to the CEO which was acknowledged but never answered. A good example of their whole operation.

Having the most expensive room on the boat we had the cheapest room in the nice old hotel in Spokane, not even a comfortable chair to set in to read the paper. I called the front desk and was told the hotel was full but I could upgrade to the governor's suite for $799. The next morning I talked to the computer guy that checked us in and told him how unhappy I was and he said he wold check into it and get back to me. This never happened.

The room on the boat was nice but had a very small bathroom which was the same for all rooms.

Food was surprisingly good but served luke warm with common slow service. Dinner could be 2 1/2 hours. We had one waiter who never remembered who ordered what and it always became pass the plate ordeal. We assumed he was new but learned he had been working there for six years.

We thought the entertainment was good but difficult to make the shows because of the slow dinner service.

Then to add insult to injury when I got home I discovered my credit card had been charged twice for the $906 bill and I had to call about that. I think my two unanswered complaints for one that had the most expensive room on the boat says a lot for their operation.

American Empress has a lot of potential but it is not well organized and certainly did not meet our expectations.

BEWARE!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience on the Columbia Queen, except the food was lousy.

The best food we had was on a little fish and chips place in Astoria called The Bowpicker.

On the comment card everyone at our table wrote ,'fire the chef"

Edited by Talisker92

Was the hotel stay part of your "River Journey?" I ask, because when we traveled on the American Queen last April out of New Orleans, a hotel stay was part of the journey. One night at the Riverside Hilton in New Orleans the night before. Like you, I was not happy with the room. I had requested a King size bed as DH is 6'8" and we had a room with two double beds and a window that had a view of a brick wall. DH went to the front desk, and the hotel clerk was able to give us a room with a king size bed with no upcharge. The clerk told us that the American Queen cruise line typically booked the cheapest rooms for their passengers, regardless of the type of cabin you may have on board. For $1000 per day for a couple I had expected better.

Besides the fact you were unhappy with the hotel, and the service in the dinning room (Bad on AQ as well), how did you like the cruise itself? The ports, scenery, tours, etc?

Edited by Rosethorn40

Just saw this thread

another poster who complains & never returns

Read the reviews for American Empress it gets better marks than AQ

Wonder how the waiter worked there for 6 yrs maybe through another company :confused:

I would love to do this cruise ...maybe next yr

We had excellent meals & service on the AQ cruise

My wife and I find the complaints about slow meals incredible. We love the slower pace, on fact we insist on it, even slowing our own pace to prevent the server from making a runaway of a great supper on the river. When we are spending big dollars to voyage on a majestic river, we want to whole experience, the lingering at the table, not the rush...to be where??:D

There are two shows. With early seating, we sometimes finish dining quickly enough to get to the early show (designed for late seating folks). We don't try to do that on purpose, of course -- we, too, like to linger over a great dinner. But, no longer how long it takes, it's always finished before the late sitting folks come in (else, where would they sit?), and that's in plenty of time for the late show.

For the late seating folks, they go to the show before dinner -- so, who cares how long it takes to dine? I'm sure it will be over before the crew goes to bed :rolleyes:.

The activities in the paddle wheel bar generally don't start until after the last show.

In other words, it's not possible to miss anything by taking as long as possible to dine.

My wife and I find the complaints about slow meals incredible. We love the slower pace, on fact we insist on it, even slowing our own pace to prevent the server from making a runaway of a great supper on the river. When we are spending big dollars to voyage on a majestic river, we want to whole experience, the lingering at the table, not the rush...to be where??:D

AMEN, brother (sister?), but I do expect the food to be served the correct temp and to the proper person!!!

My Birthday dinner last February at Galatoire's in New Orleans lasted from 5:30 PM when we got there till 10:45 PM when we got up from the table. Now that is dining!