Drinking problems

MrdeRastignac

Hello!

No worries, this is not your typical story about 'drunken sailors'.

I just have a few questions about drinks on board. Especially since I think it wouldn't be very appropiate to ask these questions on board.

1) what drinks are included (tea, water, ice tea and...?) and what is their specific name (e.g. water would probably mean 'mineral water') ?

2) Lido has complimentary juices for breakfast. So if I would opt for the MDR....would they be offered there as well? And how does this work for lunch/dinner?

3) If I ask for a scotch in a bar, and some of my fellow travellers would choose one of the 'free' drinks (or vice versa)

A) is that even possible outside the Lido?

B) would that be frowned upon?

C) does an 'ice tea' always result in the 'HAL variant'? Or could it also be a Lipton/Nestea one?

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate all the threads and input here on the forums, so thanks for that as well! :-)

Hello!

I just have a few questions about drinks on board. Especially since I think it wouldn't be very appropiate to ask these questions on board.

1) what drinks are included (tea, water, ice tea and...?) and what is their specific name (e.g. water would probably mean 'mineral water') ?

** the free water is just water that is made on board and actually quite good. Also there are juices in the morning, various milks during meals and coffee all day. If you want to pay extra, you can have soda (coke brands), tonic water, club soda, ginger-ale, Explorer's Café specialty coffee, beer, wine and 'hard' liquor

2) Lido has complimentary juices for breakfast. So if I would opt for the MDR....would they be offered there as well? And how does this work for lunch/dinner?

** yes, if the MDR does not have what you want, they will send a runner to the Lido for it

3) If I ask for a scotch in a bar, and some of my fellow travellers would choose one of the 'free' drinks (or vice versa)

**more than likely as they also have coffee-based drinks, water but tea and juice may be a problem. You can always bring in a drink from the Lido

**no,, absolutely not

C) does an 'ice tea' always result in the 'HAL variant'? Or could it also be a Lipton/Nestea one?

**they have an ice tea tap (no clue about brand) on many ships or you can brew your own from the various tea bags that are available all day

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate all the threads and input here on the forums, so thanks for that as well! :-)

I may be able to help with some - see ** above

HAL's iced tea is available in Lido Buffet. There is no charge and it is unsweeted. It is not a lemon/sweetener mix such as Lipton or Nestea. I have never requested it but I am sure you could get iced tea in MDR.

Any juices ordered off the menu at breakfast would be no additional charge.

If someone in your party wants a bottled water (mineral), they would ask for that. If they want a glass of iced water, it would be 'from the tap', which many of us think is just fine, and would be no charge.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you!

So, one could say the Lido is actually the 'free drink' centre ;) and you can better take one of those drinks with you than request them somewhere else on the ship (unless you demonically like to let waiters run around the ship for you :p )

Sure am happy that this isn't frowned upon though! :)

Is there also something like lemonade available?

we often take a travel mug with us to the lido and fill it with several of the smaller tea glasses (or a mix of tea and lemonade) for a drink to go... perfect by the pool and it stays cool.

Edited by travel123456

Water from the taps is free.

But if you ask for mineral water or any other type of bottled water -- you pay for it.

You can get iced tea in the dining room and various juices -- any meal -- no charge.

But if you go to a bar/lounge and ask for example a cranberry juice -- you will be charged.

HAL has changed their brands of tea -- so I not certain what brand the iced tea is made.

Hello!

First, let me compliment you on having one of the best Acronym-Friendly CruiseCritic IDs I've ever seen.

Acrid Garments

Carding Master

Drastic Manger

and Screaming Darts

are just a few of the literally tens of thousands of excellent username acronyms that could be yours.

To answer your questions - #2 same breakfast juices throughout. You didn’t ask, but room service also has these same choices.

With respect to #3, no one on staff will care if you drink and your friends do not. Just be aware that you do not need to appoint a designated driver for your outings on the ship. The hallways, corridors, stairs, and elevators are well marked. (Cue people with stories of lost, drunken passengers.)

I'm not sure on the name brand tea question outside the Lido. There may be iced tea from the soda guns at the bar. I don't know for sure. Enjoy your cruise!

"3) If I ask for a scotch in a bar, and some of my fellow travellers would choose one of the 'free' drinks (or vice versa)"

I would change 'friends'

For once you actually posted something funny and I wasn't rolling my eyes! :D

So, just to be sure (since that particular question hasn't been answered);

'Tap water' or 'iced water'? or are both terms understood by the waiters?

And do they also offer complimentary lemonade?

BTW, thank you POA1 for the warm welcome :) ! It just confirms that I chose the coolest username ever :p;)

So, just to be sure (since that particular question hasn't been answered);

'Tap water' or 'iced water'? or are both terms understood by the waiters?

And do they also offer complimentary lemonade?

BTW, thank you POA1 for the warm welcome :) ! It just confirms that I chose the coolest username ever :p;)

I think that the waiters usually refer to it as ice water or iced water. We sat near a family with children in the main dining room, and the kids had lemonade at dinner. I don't know if it's free like it is other places, like by the pool in the afternoon, etc.

Try plugging your username into the Internet Anagram Server. Mr. Arcade Sting. ;)

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/