Port of Vancouver: What to do near the pier

I will be on the October 3rd sailing of the Mercury out of Seattle; we stop in Vancouver all day as well as in Prince Rupert. I have a tour scheduled for Prince Rupert, but thus far, have no plans for Vancouver. I am not interested in booking a tour or spending all day on shore, but would love to do something for a couple of hours.

Is there any place you could recommend we check out that is walking distance from the port? We will be in Vancouver the day after we embark on the cruise. I understand it is also formal night that evening, so I would prefer to kill some time close to the port.

My husband and I are into nature, hiking and enjoy looking at wild life as well as museums. Although I doubt we will find such a place within walking distance of the port, I prefer to not go shopping if that is all that's available to me near the pier.

I value your input and would love to get some idea as to what our choices are.

Thanks in advance!

Suzi

Vancouver and docking at Canada Place - you are right downtown and close to everything - if the weather is nice you could walk from the ship along the Seawall to Stanley Park - about 2 miles from Canada Place - Stanley Park is 1000 acres of pure recreational enjoyment - there is a rose garden, aquarium, totem poles - old growth forest and lots of trails etc.

If the weather is rainy - yes it does rain in Vancouver - Storyeum in Gastown would be worth a visit as would the Sinclair Center - a heritage office and shopping complex a block from Canada Place.

Here's a link to tourism Vancouver web site:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/ - its undergoing some enhancements but should work for you.

Downtown Vancouver is very compact and the transit system is good

I am sure that some of the other Vancouverites on these boards will have some other ideas for you as well

Cheers

Dennis

You could get just about anything - sunshine, clouds, rain, cool etc. - The weather oftens stays decent until the 2nd week of October which is the Canadian Thanksgiving - here's a link to a long range forecast for the Greater Vancouver for the next two weeks which should take you close to your visit day:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/canada-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&traveler=0&postalcode=V5K%201A1&metric=1

Cheers

Dennis

If what you like to do is walk/hike and enjoy nature and it is a nice sunny day then walk to Stanley Park from Canada Place the cruise ship dock. You will pick up the sea wall within approximately 4 blocks of leaving the terminal. You will have sailed past Stanley Park on your way into Vancouver harbour.

If the weather is against you I would suggest you enjoy Storeyum which is the story of the history of British Columbia protrayed using various types of media from live actors to high tech imagery. The entire presentation takes 72 minutes and you progress through 9 different theatres.

Storyeum is located in Gastown and only about 4 blocks from your cruise ship but in the opposite direction from Stanley Park.

Archived